Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Genders

JSTboi

Somehow I've been wishing deep inside that these topics would die out already. The way people seem to be looking into everything is a bit too much, I don't think DE will make sense of it any time soon. It's for you to make sense of however it may please you, if you're inner-roleplay/logic/lore sense is kicking off. Various people see it as one person morphing into all these suits, which sounds flawed to me. As in, why would they even have genders in the first place then? Others see it as you are the player who controls different warframes. 

This is just pure speculation but based what I've seen on the previous dark sector game, the gender of the suit can be independent of the gender of ther person wearing the suit. For example, Nemsis was a female character in Dark Sector, yet her semi tenno form from the pictures I've seen looks like a male. It could be in the case of the tenno, they have the capacity to turn into multiple frames via a chemical/void/biological process. The big problem with my idea is that it appears the suits require resource to build as opposed to a set of genetic code the tenno incorporate in themselves. One more aside, the tenno like beings in Dark Sector appear to be bigger than the average human. So even a seemingly dispproportioned tenno would still be big enough to fit a person.

I don't think the Tenno are infected. I think the suits are made using technocyte based technology but the Tenno themselves are just mutated by the void energies.

The Lotus works with all Tenno.  What if every mission we do we're taking the perspective of different Tenno?  One day you're playing as Larry the Loki, the next you're playing as Mrs. Steve the Nova.  And it's not hard to believe other Tenno have pets.

Why dont we test this?

Some one record their dog's reaction when their master comes homes and has breasts.

Pretty sure they wont care cause they pay attention to smell first.

My dog barks at me when I come home with my hair up in a pony...

I have always and continue to maintain (until lore proves otherwise) that the technocyte infested Tenno who align well enough in purpose and trust form a semi hive mind and that the player assumes that role.

The whole trans human notion some people want to push seems silly and contradictory. These transhuman entities have abandoned the need for gender being able to shape themselves however they want and yet refuse to abandon secondary sex characteristics. Why exactly would something that far from human insist on maintaining that? I mean it makes sense when you stop to not think about it.

With additional of Ship as your PERSONAL space and "Ironman Like" thing that you use to store your stuff AND switch frames - this topic is pretty much on point.

This is pretty much the idea I was trying to make, thanks.

I think the end result is going to be more than one frame for some elements, with opposing genders. Something like a male fire Warframe, with a more tanky bias, fire-spraying flamethrower, and I don't know, a firepunch, whatever.

I just think they're leaving room to expand. I mean, one frame per element is limiting from a design perspective.

This has probably already been discussed recently. And I know it's been discussed far before. but its just something on my mind that I just have to talk about, especially with the degree of customization coming, and foreshadowed, in the next update.

Here you are, making an identity for yourself, your own ship, your own pet. But isn't that kind of weird as a Kubrow to become attached to an Excalibur, only to wake up the next day to an Ember? Like why does my master, owner of this ship, suddenly have breasts, and looks completely different in body shape and language (Noble/Agile stances)? Is this the same person? Is this an intruder on my masters ship?

I guess it would make a little more sense if you could maintain the same gender throughout all your warframes, giving the idea that you are just a singleTenno wearing different suits. A Tenno that owns a ship, and different Warframes. This idea of course conflicts with those who have ties to lore such as Valkyr, who was imprisoned in Corpus facilities.

The gender lock has never, ever, been a problem for me. I just find it kind of odd how with all these customization options, the one thing you cannot change is your gender, which is weird when owning a pet and a ship, considering they are to be owned by ONE entity.

Meh, just a thought.

And you just realised, you basically modify your story each time you use another frame.^^

You main character is Excal one day and Ember the other.

I'd like to see it this way at least...

Count me in for more customization, because who wouldn't want to see a female Volt? xD

(or she-hulk... erm I meant Rhino^^ death by snu-snu)

Edited by SIDESTRE4M

DE's last major major statement is that they have no plans to implement Gender swap options for frames. 

I'd like a link to that please.

I really would love to see both genders for all warframes. I know it's a decently big undertaking, but they don't have to do it all at once. I think it would be very appealing to a great many people, particularly in a game with such heavy focus on customization (both visual AND functional)

The main issue is that each Tenno is meant to be unique, since when they first returned from the Void, the Orokin crafted 'frames' for them to suit their unique Void affliction, hence the powers. Obviously, since there are multiple of each Warframe, the Tenno must not be as completely unique as previously suggested, and there must be similar enough Tenno to use the same Warframes. To that end, it makes sense that some of the Tenno who wear the Frost Warframe are female as well as male, etc. What they ought to do is be more vague about the origins of each Warframe (particularly Valkyr, who has a VERY specific/individual backstory) so it makes sense that there can be multiple of them.

I think the Origin story of the Tenno prohibits any Tenno from being able to use other suits, so I don't really mind if they are all basically separate characters, but I really think their genders should be an option some time down the track, even when you build it. That way, if you want to be a real enthusiast, you can build a Male and Female version of each Warframe, and be able to check them all out if DE ever makes a cryopod hall on your ship for all your warframes to sleep in (which would be a great alternative option to choose a warframe before each mission)

Of course, if they change the origin story so that each Tenno can use any warframe, and the warframes were just different to serve as different weapons for the Tenno armies, it'd solve all the problems, and you could just pick your Tenno's gender and the warframes would all be made to suit it. Also solves the Kubrow problem, but I'm not fussed about that so much.

I'd like a link to that please.

Aw man I'm sorry but I can't remember where that was. It's been a while since it was said.

Personally I would prefer that players be able to choose gender....

but they never asked me which way they should go on the subject. :-)