Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Asking For Opinion: Grineer Flameblade With Buzzsaws?

Othergrunty

TL/DR; lol Version:

"Should the Grineer Flameblade get the buzzsaw weapons of the old Grineer Sawmen?"

Longer Version:

Okay, this is simply asking for your opinion on an idea for a suggestion i had today. I didn't wanted to put it up as suggestion thread right away, since i'm not sure i could speak for enough other players.

The last 3 days, trying to farm the Venka stance, i had the fortune of regular fighting the good old Grineer Flameblade in larger number.

For those unaware. The Grineer Flameblade is the Grineer Melee unit of the same design as the Butcher who are a bit larger and wield a Prova weapon as an obvious place holder. What makes the flame lance special is that it can teleport short distances behind enemies.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Flameblade

Captain Vor, used to be a Flameblade with increased HP and red armor. His current teleporting abilities are an expansion of that early design. They also used to deal fire damage but i think that has been lost with Melee 2.0.

For a long time Flameblade had been rare in the game so i never thought much about them. However encountering them in larger number now made me think about how, let's put it this way, "lame" they are.

They can teleport but you often won't notice until you get a lackluster hit in the back which all enemies who get behind your vision can deal.

So i thought, why not add a psychological element to their appearance and i had to remember the old Sawmen which predated the current butchers.

Sawmen, as their name implied, were Grineer who wielded hand buzzsaws complete with eletric saw noises. You woud constantly hear them out among the enemies comming at you. However DE eventualy replaced their saws with the butcher blades and a few months later renamed them Butchers. The reason as stated in a livestream was because players complained how they could hear them comming and how they were less dangerous because of that.

So, since Butchers are here to stay, i thought it was kind of a waste that he sawblade model, which someone had spend time and energy on to design and animated, would be left in the dust like that. Which leads me to the idea of simply giving the Buzzsaw to the Grineer Flameblades, to replace the obviously improvised Prova. Perhaps even with the blades now burning or being red hot indicating a heat weapon.

Of course they might require a bit of improvement in sound design. Like their saws only spinning up when they are about to strike you and having a cutting sound when they hit you.

But imagine the feeling of seeing a Flameblade approaching, dissapearing and then hearing that spinning blade sound directly behind you. With their ability to teleport they would easily balance out being more audible, which was the reason for the change to the original Sawmen.

So what do you think?

Should Flameblades get the old Buzzsaw weapon?

Edited by Othergrunty

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought they should use the Heat Sword, since it looks very Grineer.

But a buzzsaw that's on fire would be pretty rad:

1807115-605254_20111018_001.jpg

Like that, but more fire. Ratchet & Clank, why do you never cease to be awesome?

I scoured Google Images for a picture of a buzzsaw on fire. You'd think with all these guys shooting their nuts off with sawn-off shotties, someone somewhere would try to make a flaming buzzsaw and be famous for doing it.

I put "Buzzsaw on Fire" in Youtube and got nothing but hippies. This world...

Previous devstream said they might consider switching the weapons up a bit and I hope they do, would be nice for example if most mobs had a selection of weapons (weapons that fit the role+faction) they get one of randomly, so they don't all fire the same weapons, and frankly it never made sense to me that the ranged mobs don't have melee weapons, would solve the weird "you all get a prova!" think of loki's disarm, give ranged mobs a backup melee weapon they resort to in melee combat or when disarmed, but make them wield them pretty simply with no fancy moves, let the melee only mobs keep their fancy moves.

Previous devstream said they might consider switching the weapons up a bit and I hope they do, would be nice for example if most mobs had a selection of weapons (weapons that fit the role+faction) they get one of randomly, so they don't all fire the same weapons, and frankly it never made sense to me that the ranged mobs don't have melee weapons, would solve the weird "you all get a prova!" think of loki's disarm, give ranged mobs a backup melee weapon they resort to in melee combat or when disarmed, but make them wield them pretty simply with no fancy moves, let the melee only mobs keep their fancy moves.

+1... this would be nice :)

Wait, the buzzsaws were removed because we could hear them incomming? That's what made them awesome! Also, kinda scary, they packed a punch. It was the only thing I was even a bit afraid of. Butchers do not compete at all.

I really do miss them ol' Buzzsaws from time to time. Hopefully this can be discussed with some of the designers/team down the road and we can see what they think! 

You could hear those bundles of fun from a mile away.

Wait, the buzzsaws were removed because we could hear them incomming? That's what made them awesome! Also, kinda scary, they packed a punch. It was the only thing I was even a bit afraid of. Butchers do not compete at all.

There was a nice submission in the Grineer Enemy Concept thing of an enemy with the buzzsaw.

I miss the sound of those bastards. They added great atmosphere. F*** butchers, those suckers don't make sense. Get back to the kitchen and chop me some steak.

TL/DR; lol Version:

"Should the Grineer Flameblade get the buzzsaw weapons of the old Grineer Sawmen?"

Longer Version:

Okay, this is simply asking for your opinion on an idea for a suggestion i had today. I didn't wanted to put it up as suggestion thread right away, since i'm not sure i could speak for enough other players.

The last 3 days, trying to farm the Venka stance, i had the fortune of regular fighting the good old Grineer Flameblade in larger number.

For those unaware. The Grineer Flameblade is the Grineer Melee unit of the same design as the Butcher who are a bit larger and wield a Prova weapon as an obvious place holder. What makes the flame lance special is that it can teleport short distances behind enemies.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Flameblade

Captain Vor, used to be a Flameblade with increased HP and red armor. His current teleporting abilities are an expansion of that early design. They also used to deal fire damage but i think that has been lost with Melee 2.0.

For a long time Flameblade had been rare in the game so i never thought much about them. However encountering them in larger number now made me think about how, let's put it this way, "lame" they are.

They can teleport but you often won't notice until you get a lackluster hit in the back which all enemies who get behind your vision can deal.

So i thought, why not add a psychological element to their appearance and i had to remember the old Sawmen which predated the current butchers.

Sawmen, as their name implied, were Grineer who wielded hand buzzsaws complete with eletric saw noises. You woud constantly hear them out among the enemies comming at you. However DE eventualy replaced their saws with the butcher blades and a few months later renamed them Butchers. The reason as stated in a livestream was because players complained how they could hear them comming and how they were less dangerous because of that.

So, since Butchers are here to stay, i thought it was kind of a waste that he sawblade model, which someone had spend time and energy on to design and animated, would be left in the dust like that. Which leads me to the idea of simply giving the Buzzsaw to the Grineer Flameblades, to replace the obviously improvised Prova. Perhaps even with the blades now burning or being red hot indicating a heat weapon.

Of course they might require a bit of improvement in sound design. Like their saws only spinning up when they are about to strike you and having a cutting sound when they hit you.

But imagine the feeling of seeing a Flameblade approaching, dissapearing and then hearing that spinning blade sound directly behind you. With their ability to teleport they would easily balance out being more audible, which was the reason for the change to the original Sawmen.

So what do you think?

Should Flameblades get the old Buzzsaw weapon?

MOTO

MOTO MOTO

I think the most interesting part about the buzzsaw was the attention it would demand--you would look for them as soon as you heard that noise, so it bought their allies breathing room and potentially drew fire without even endangering them.

I really do miss them ol' Buzzsaws from time to time. Hopefully this can be discussed with some of the designers/team down the road and we can see what they think! 

Oooh yes.

Still remember myself silently staying crouched in the dark, and hearing the stressful saw sound behind... All my youth!