Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Computer Nerds...i Need You!

DJ-7809

Question

Hey everybody.  My gaming pc went out about 7 months ago, and i've been stuck using a crappy dell laptop to play warframe, but now even that just died.  So, I'm bucking up and buying a new pc, i'm building one, and i'm very, very, close to affording it.  I just need to know how you think that this one is going to handle Warframe, as I'd love to turn on the Physx special sparkly particle thingies, and still have the game run smoothly.  If any of you fellas out there are computer nerds, i'd love to get your opinion on "Aphordite", my low-budget Gaming computer.  Totals out at $650 ish.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ-7809/saved/99qhP6

Looks like a pretty sweet rig. A GTX 750 will handle PhysX no problem, and it'll definitely run the game on highest settings at 1920x1080.

If you have an extra $20~30 to spare, you might consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler with better performance than the one included with your CPU.

Here are some that are really quite reasonably priced, good ratings and compatible with your rig.

Lol, computer "nerds".

Hey, I'm building my own, I'm classified in there too.  But I just aren't as...knowledgable in this area of nerdy expertise. yet.

Looks like a pretty sweet rig. A GTX 750 will handle PhysX no problem, and it'll definitely run the game on highest settings at 1920x1080.

If you have an extra $20~30 to spare, you might consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler with better performance than the one included with your CPU.

Hey Letter! Nice seeing ya again.

That's great!  I'm happy to hear it'll do great, i'm a little paranoid that it won't be as good as I expect, so thanks for helping to suppress my fears!

Hmmm so another CPU cooler?  Sounds okay, I'll look into it after I get the computer itself, in the meantime i have a small, powerful, fan that'll plug into an outlet that I can just run in the computer case to help out a bit.  Maybe, eventually, like, in a long time, I'll look into liquid cooling but....eh.

You should have no problems running Warframe at the highest settings at approx 30-60FPS smoothly untill Xini or T4, where the power spam might get ya down to about 20FPS.

Awesome!  That's great to hear, up until now I've played warframe with FPS ranging from 5-30.  Yeahhh....my computers have suckedi n the past, that's why i'm digging into my wallet to get one that'll be nice.  Thanks for the confirmation!

When you need help from people who are more clever than you, calling them a nerd ain't the way to do it.

Honestly, kind sir, being called a nerd is a compliment in my book.  Thank you for your opinion though.

-Signed, 

The King of Nerdville

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the powersupply, in case you plan to expand your rig in the future. 450W is more than enough for that setup though. 

Honestly, kind sir, being called a nerd is a compliment in my book.  Thank you for your opinion though.

-Signed, 

The King of Nerdville

Breaking tradition are we? Dangerous occupation. 

Edited by TwiceDead

Wait for a sale on a 4670k/4690k to pop up (decent price is around $200) and get that instead of that cpu.  The performance gain from overclocking is nothing to sneeze at especially when you're already spending close to the price point of a solid overclockable cpu.

Wait for a sale on a 4670k/4690k to pop up (decent price is around $200) and get that instead of that cpu.  The performance gain from overclocking is nothing to sneeze at especially when you're already spending close to the price point of a solid overclockable cpu.

If he's not used to building computers, I'd doubt his first action would be trying to OC his CPU. 

However if you do roll with this option, make sure you get sufficient cooling for your CPU, this guy is not lying. OC'ing your CPU can in many cases easily outdo the most recent CPU's on the market for a fraction of the price. 

An extra $30 makes that big of a difference?  Fascinating.

Not intending to overclock, Warframe is a low-demand game, and that's all I really want to play.

If he's not used to building computers, I'd doubt his first action would be trying to OC his CPU. 

However if you do roll with this option, make sure you get sufficient cooling for your CPU, this guy is not lying. OC'ing your CPU can in many cases easily outdo the most recent CPU's on the market for a fraction of the price. 

Overclocking really isn't that much work.  There are plenty of boards out now that will even do it for you with the press of a button.  And as long as you're not messing with voltages for high OCs even the casual user can do it pretty easily without any real risk.

An extra $30 makes that big of a difference?  Fascinating.

Not intending to overclock, Warframe is a low-demand game, and that's all I really want to play.

At higher settings it isn't.  The game is also a lot more demanding CPU wise when you're host too so every little bit can help keep you're experience more consistent.

Edited by Aggh

Ahhh that is one thing Letter mentioned, I'm not intending to overclock.  so long as it rolls warframe smoothly with the high graphics, then I'm happy.

Swap out that 750 ti for either of these 660s:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx660dc2o2gd5

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42662kr

It's $5 more (+ tax difference before rebate), but much better performance despite being previous generation. Only disadvantage would be slightly higher power consumption. Not a big deal unless you live in an area with extremely high cost/wattage (like Hawaii).

Currently using a 660, I usually have v sync on to reduce power consumption and get constant 60 fps @ 1080p with ~50% gpu usage in most scenarios (all settings on highest including physx, geometry detail on medium, some things like color correction off). I only drop down to 50ish fps rarely when people are doing some crazy power spamming in T4 survival.

Without V sync, I easily hit over 100 fps.

See some benchmarks comparing the 750ti and 660 here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell/4

Edited by Pythadragon

For $650 you can build a pretty good pc.

You can get a 1T HD Caviar Blue

best for versatile uses

I got me a GeForce GT 640

I play Warframe on Max settings with every thing. Runs smooth, and awesome gameplay. Plays Skyrim on max settings like a dream.

6GB of RAM

Maybe 8 Would be best.

I have a Intel Core i3-3220 CPU 3.30GHz Duel Core.

Not the best I plan on upgrading to at least a i5 Quad core Just so I can have better performance with Unreal Real Engine 4

And I can never remember my Mother Board, and Power Core.

I'm no Comp nerd but what I got has served me very well over the past 2 years. I hope I have helped you or some one with some ideas.

You mention that the previous computer + laptop died. Are there any salvageable parts you can take from them? For example, you may be able to reuse one or both of the harddrives from it and save from buying a new one (~$50).

I notice that you didn't list a cd/dvd drive/burner. Consider if you need one. You can install windows on your computer through a flash drive, but I sometimes find uses for a physical drive (movies, some old games, burning things to send to people).

Edited by Pythadragon

It's $5 more (+ tax difference before rebate), but much better performance despite being previous generation. Only disadvantage would be slightly higher power consumption. Not a big deal unless you live in an area with extremely high cost/wattage (like Hawaii).

Currently using a 660, I usually have v sync on to reduce power consumption and get constant 60 fps @ 1080p with ~50% gpu usage in most scenarios (all settings on highest including physx, geometry detail on medium, some things like color correction off). I only drop down to 50ish fps rarely when people are doing some crazy power spamming in T4 survival.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell/4

I'm in the process of building a PC as well and I'm fairly new at this. Mind giving me some pointers at what GPU I should be looking for? I have about a $120 budget for the GPU.

Don't know if you've already picked it up, but newegg has a $15 off code on windows 8.1

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/295f17/os_microsoft_windows_81_64bit_oem_8499_9999_15/

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Good place to look out for sales (promo codes , ebay sellers etc. etc.) that don't show up on part picker.

Thanks for the tip! I've heard windows 8 isn't very fun...I'm probably going to stick with XP or 7, I know a guy who works in a computer shop that i'm going to ask, he's gotten operating system legit copies for basically nothing.

Now that is....strange.

I never would have guessed an older model would perform better than the newer one...or cost 5 bucks more...

I'll look into it, but I'd just be happy if it maintains fps of over 30.

Yes, power wattage is...expensive...but I'm not sure it's really that noticable.

Overclocking really isn't that much work.  There are plenty of boards out now that will even do it for you with the press of a button.  And as long as you're not messing with voltages for high OCs even the casual user can do it pretty easily without any real risk.

At higher settings it isn't.  The game is also a lot more demanding CPU wise when you're host too so every little bit can help keep you're experience more consistent.

Hmmm still about 100% sure I don't want to overclock, no matter what, so I want a CPU that won't need to be overclocked.  Too much risk in my opinion, and not trying to argue.  

I ran warframe, previously, on a 13 year old computer with 2gs ram, the lowest-end nvidia graphics card ever made(from 2002) and was able to get some okay fps.  Honestly, as long as it's better than that, I'm probably really happy.  No one has had to deal with laggy gameplay more than me...no one...and not due to my internet, that's close to 1megabyte a second.  Or something near that, I forget the number, but it was high-speed internet.  It was due to my poor, poor, poor computer.  God that thing made a terrible noise while runnign warframe.  But it ran it! haha

Personally I'd say build your own rather than going for a prefab. 

WWW.microcenter.com best computer parts store I've ever been in, they aren't located in every state, but check where you live there may be a store there, if not, use their online ordering option. 

to answer the initial question though, that looks like a very good PC. Go with it if you aren't inclined to build your own rigs.

Personally I'd say build your own rather than going for a prefab. 

WWW.microcenter.com best computer parts store I've ever been in, they aren't located in every state, but check where you live there may be a store there, if not, use their online ordering option. 

to answer the initial question though, that looks like a very good PC. Go with it if you aren't inclined to build your own rigs.

Um...I am building my own...these are the parts....

Grab a 750ti and wait for the 800 series. The 860 will be at a good price because the 800 series will be cheaper

Mmmkay....

If money is the driving force, then an Intel i3 4130 CPU should be your choice. Combine this with a 760GTX or 750ti and you should be good for Warframe at 1080p without too much issue.

A 1tb HDD, a reputable PSU (450w should be fine), 8gigs of PC1600 RAM and you should be good to go.

You should be able to get this up and running for around $600. If you don't want to do it yourself, then buy or have built something with similar specs. Just be aware that if you don't do it yourself, you'll be paying someone else to. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (especially if something goes sideways,since you'll have recourse), but you will pay.  

If money is the driving force, then an Intel i3 4130 CPU should be your choice. Combine this with a 760GTX or 750ti and you should be good for Warframe at 1080p without too much issue.

A 1tb HDD, a reputable PSU (450w should be fine), 8gigs of PC1600 RAM and you should be good to go.

You should be able to get this up and running for around $600. If you don't want to do it yourself, then buy or have built something with similar specs. Just be aware that if you don't do it yourself, you'll be paying someone else to. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (especially if something goes sideways,since you'll have recourse), but you will pay.  

My setup has the Intel Core i5-4440, which, if i'm not mistaken, is a newer version?  More powerful?  i5 = newer than i3 right?

My graphics card is the GTX 750 ti, 2GB overclocked graphics card...which is exactly what you just suggested...

Did you read my post?  Look at the parts list I already had?  I said i was building it myself...