Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Named Weapon System

HurpadurpusRex

I would like to see a named weapon system.

You would obtain a object at cost or effort similar to obtaining 3 potato's. This object when applied to a weapon would lock all mods currently applied to the weapon in permanently and allow the Tenno to name his weapon. The named weapon would receive a to be determined appropriate boost in power to the mods inside it. Locked in mods would be consumed in the process, and attached to the weapon.

Mechanically this represents a set layout resulting in maximization of space. To the Tenno it represents a ninja growing used to a weapons layout as we do a broken in comfy shoe.

This would allow for some added unusual mod configurations and stretch the use of mods commonly called band-aid mods as the boosts could bring added utility.

I predict this would improve the deflating value of some rare mods such as hammer shot by helping to reduce the available supply, and generating some new demand.

This is not a idea i would implement in full with the current game build. I feel that boosts to mods could not be sufficient to make this plan fun until more difficult challenges are released in WarFrame. But i would love if you built room for it into your game   :D

yeah that would be sour grapes. The bonus would have to be great enough to make you flinch but leave you feeling it was worth while.

I would anticipate a lot of people using it as a means of gaining added value out of rank 8 serrations though, boosting their effect at the cost of locking in some elemental mods with them.

I don't think the idea of having mods locked in is one that will ever be well received. I mean, it's a nice thought that you'll create a fire sword that will always be a fire sword and cannot be changed, but at the same time there are mods like the previously mentioned "Serration" that you absolutely do not want to lose under any circumstances whatsoever. Nobody would ever lock a mod away and render it unuseable on other weapons just to be able to call their favorite rifle "Rhino Stomp".

I don't think the idea of having mods locked in is one that will ever be well received. I mean, it's a nice thought that you'll create a fire sword that will always be a fire sword and cannot be changed, but at the same time there are mods like the previously mentioned "Serration" that you absolutely do not want to lose under any circumstances whatsoever. Nobody would ever lock a mod away and render it unuseable on other weapons just to be able to call their favorite rifle "Rhino Stomp".

Well agreed, but there is no one forcing you to lock in maxed mods. but once again the bonus would have to be in keeping with the value of what was being sacrificed. A balance would need to be struck.

Like for example if a level 8 serration behaved like a level 9 after the modification. Then other boosted mods being multiplied by the serration would cause it to come out with a greater weapon damage efficiency than could be achieved with a level 10 serration. 3xpotatocost 60P+ level 8 seration 50P = 110P. Less cost than the average max serration (125P)(Or a hours more grinding)  with greater dps to selected elements, and a COOL NAME :D.

Well agreed, but there is no one forcing you to lock in maxed mods. but once again the bonus would have to be in keeping with the value of what was being sacrificed. A balance would need to be struck.

Like for example if a level 8 serration behaved like a level 9 after the modification. Then other boosted mods being multiplied by the serration would cause it to come out with a greater weapon damage efficiency than could be achieved with a level 10 serration. 3xpotatocost 60P+ level 8 seration 50P = 110P. Less cost than the average max serration (125P)(Or a hours more grinding)  with greater dps to selected elements, and a COOL NAME :D.

How about ONLY the cool name? Just for the fun of it.. hm?

100% ok with consuming your mods during lock in. Cool concept and adds late game grind/removal of maxed mods from economy.

Not ok with it boosting power of mods. We have enough DPS. A named weapon should do something a heck of a lot more interesting than having a 20% boost to DPS. Yawn.

Consuming the mods would be cool but risky.  

However as notionphil suggests it would have to do some thing else.

Maybe it makes it generate exp more for other components your equipped with. The named weapon is maxed out and fixed so it does not need exp. 

However then it just becomes a tool for levelling other items without using the item which DE wants to avoid. 

Maybe it could gain new features:

E.g. a scope that see enemies through walls 

A scope that scans enemies when you aim at them 

unlimited/regen ammo

Edited by MDRLOz

really anythings possible, i was just highlighting that the lock in of the mods could be brought into balance through the boosting.

The advantages of boosting a mod wouldn't necessarily need to be directly buffing the same stat as the base mod. You could have a locked system module stat that activates when the mod is locked in providing any affect the developers felt would be fun and fit the system.

For example the developers may decide to make serration gain a 33% shield ignore, causing hp damage when the enemies are reduced to 33% shields or lower. Really the lock in boosting should be whatever is fun, fits, and gives balance to you sacrificing mods. Ever player will likely have a different idea of what balanced is for every possibility. What I like about this is it gives so many possibilities. A late game system for more advanced players to operate, that opens doors for the developers to create fun personalized effects that reward player accumulated wisdom. Furthermore it may open up new avenues of play with guns that underperformed before if they implement it to do so.

Edited by HurpadurpusRex

100% ok with consuming your mods during lock in. Cool concept and adds late game grind/removal of maxed mods from economy.

Not ok with it boosting power of mods. We have enough DPS. A named weapon should do something a heck of a lot more interesting than having a 20% boost to DPS. Yawn.

If this ever got implemented, there better be an easier way to max out those mods again. Otherwise, keep the mod system the way it is and just name your builds.

Edited by Kashiki

Consuming the mods would be cool but risky.  

However as notionphil suggests it would have to do some thing else.

Maybe it makes it generate exp more for other components your equipped with. The named weapon is maxed out and fixed so it does not need exp. 

However then it just becomes a tool for levelling other items without using the item which DE wants to avoid. 

Maybe it could gain new features:

E.g. a scope that see enemies through walls 

A scope that scans enemies when you aim at them 

unlimited/regen ammo

yeah all of those sound fun, I think we're thinking along the same lines. I would really just want this system to be a tool for fun content delivery and greater personalization. Ninja your way.

Consuming the mods in the process? Making the grindfest for mods an even more ridiculous grindfest? How about NO?

And for the other thing... We don't need any more possibilities to squeeze more damage on the weapons... What would you be going to do with that overnuking things? Blow up whole planets? Some weapons are already capable of ridiculous amounts of damage... no need to further push that when there's no content around where this actually comes in handy. And I'm not talking about elitist-"defense wave 100"-bullsh*t that only a small percentage of players are doing/enjoying.

For the rest I think the presets are already good enough and much more flexible when new mods are released. So either way... my answer is no.

I'm already against the forma-system the way it is now... because it's timesink and can render your weapons useless when new mods are released with a major polarity-priority-shift. The damn Status-Chance mods from the past 3 events are the prime example. Before that we all forma'd for Bar-Type and single-stat elementals... now we don't care about anything but V-polarities to get the high proc-chance going. I hate that kind of neverending timesinks and priority shifts. That's as low and cheap as Blizzard when they rotate the priorities of elemental-resistances around in Diablo 3 so people are forced to grind some more and get new gear to adapt to some unnecessary changes nobody asked for.

If at all the system should become more flexible and not stiff and rigid.

Edited by MeduSalem

Atm mods increase base power of weapon 50 times, if you would do this thing 2 times you would have weapon 2500times stronger, another one would net you 125000times stronger weapon.

Seriously WTF.

Edited by Davoodoo

Well yeah those are great examples of the way it could be screwed up, lets assume for the time being that they aren't going to specifically try to break the game with this concept. If we avoided moving forward based off what wrongs might be possible then we wouldn't get far.

This would not be a setting that would be set unless a player specifically worked to set it. This would open the window to put sub effects on weapons that could add depth to targeted weapon building. Also I have already shown one example of how it could end up costing you less time to produce a weapon of greater quality. but these counter arguments against examples all exceed the original points.

Personalized weapon; name, personalization effects that provide minor situational advantage. I believe a cost is necessary or everyone would do it to every weapon which would not be very personal. I chose mods locking in as the primary cost to receive a advantage as i like the mechanical sense it makes. I like the idea of locking mods in. But I've hear others as well from friends, like burning one mod to add a passive stat to the base weapon itself, while leaving the mods in it unlocked. Or choosing one mod to lock in which then has its sub ability unlocked.

The point is have fun with it, this is a place for for ideas, what would you add to a weapon to make it unique and comfortable with respect to the games balance market and funding? 

Well yeah those are great examples of the way it could be screwed up, lets assume for the time being that they aren't going to specifically try to break the game with this concept. If we avoided moving forward based off what wrongs might be possible then we wouldn't get far.

This would not be a setting that would be set unless a player specifically worked to set it. This would open the window to put sub effects on weapons that could add depth to targeted weapon building. Also I have already shown one example of how it could end up costing you less time to produce a weapon of greater quality. but these counter arguments against examples all exceed the original points.

Personalized weapon; name, personalization effects that provide minor situational advantage. I believe a cost is necessary or everyone would do it to every weapon which would not be very personal. I chose mods locking in as the primary cost to receive a advantage as i like the mechanical sense it makes. I like the idea of locking mods in. But I've hear others as well from friends, like burning one mod to add a passive stat to the base weapon itself, while leaving the mods in it unlocked. Or choosing one mod to lock in which then has its sub ability unlocked.

The point is have fun with it, this is a place for for ideas, what would you add to a weapon to make it unique and comfortable with respect to the games balance market and funding? 

There is a reason why everyone mods their weapons for dps, higher dmg means you use up less ammo so you doesnt need to reload so often. Plus added benefit that everything dies faster. 

If we already decided that "sub effects" are worth less than dps then we would just put more dps. Its as simple as that.

There is a reason why everyone mods their weapons for dps, higher dmg means you use up less ammo so you doesnt need to reload so often. Plus added benefit that everything dies faster. 

If we already decided that "sub effects" are worth less than dps then we would just put more dps. Its as simple as that.

conceptually yes, thats the reason I feel there needs to be sacrifice. I chose locking in mods because it stagnates the elemental pool making the weapon a targeted enhanced weapon. I am not for creating super weapons that kill everything you encounter with no effort.

But at the end of the day it just needs to be fun, its a concept so it doesn't even have to include mods. As MDRLOz pointed out maybe its could be a series of home made attachments to choose from. Maybe one of MDRLOz's scopes, maybe exploding discarded clips, maybe bullets that harpoon enemies and attach a small Valkyr line to the ground slowing the enemy. just so long as the cost meets the benefit and the player efficiency increase doesn't make the game to easy.

As i mentioned in the OP there isn't currently in my opinion room for any increase of dps the game would need a endgame difficulty increase before the ideas i have suggested could be implemented. And I agree that if a player chose to use my suggested locking system it would be because it gave her/him a increased dps VS certain targets.

Edited by HurpadurpusRex

If this ever got implemented, there better be an easier way to max out those mods again. Otherwise, keep the mod system the way it is and just name your builds.

Well there is a better way its called T4 Survival where you can get at least 25 R5 Cores per run and More if your better at the game, i went in hour in T4 and got something like 50 R5 cores which used to be Impossible in a normal day of farming.

This is a interesting concept that I could see de using as a framework and building it up to make their own system, that would allow for a final boost to weapons after max leveling it.

one part that I do like is that it gives an ending to the gun modding up part.