Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do We Need Smg Styled Weapons?

Eraser35

I think the only chemical-based firearms I've seen in this game thus far are rifles and pistols, both either semi-auto or auto.  Maybe there's no need to implement SMG's because of what we have in total, but I wouldn't mind nonetheless.

nope

but i welcome any and all smg additions to the game

i love me my smgs

IWI-TSIDF16-Tavor-SAR-IDF16.5-Black-Left

That's not an SMG; that's a carbine.  Oh but what do I know......in fact, even today there's debate about whether or not assault-rifles (especially carbines) can be called "submachine-guns".  I don't want to go into it because I'll get all nerdy to the point that it derails the topic of this thread.....though it might help me to type a bunch of nonsense because I just woke up and I find that typing helps get the blood flowing or something.  But naw; not here.

Come to think of it, what would you guys make of the Braton?  Though it's a rifle, it has some aesthetic properties akin to an SMG.  Though, all things considered, I think it'd be more like a carbine, if not a PDW (Personal Defense Weapon).

All this talk of today's guns UZI, MP5, P90, etc...  Got me thinking...  What if these weapons actually DID exist in game, but existed as ancient relics of some sort.  I assume our current time now is before the Orokin era.

XD

I think that, too.  All the weapons we see in this game are obviously fictitious, because this game is likely set in a very far future scenario (albeit a bleak one), but even still it holds some parallels to real-life.

Implementing real-life firearms into this game sounds sweet, though it probably won't happen for a bunch of reasons, biggest one being that inclusion of real-life firearms requires permission from companies within the firearms industry, not to mention that some of them seem to be having a stick up their @$$ about something, though I'm not sure what about.....like, do they require billions more dollars than usual?  Or are they frustrated with games including their guns (hence why most games today are featuring genericized versions of familiar-looking firearms)?  For the latter, I don't see why that is, but it's been a theory of mine for some time.

Assault rifles tend to be larger weapons that use smaller, higher powered rounds to punch through armor and focus on accuracy over fire rate.  The TAR someone mistook for an SMG is actually a full fledged assault rifle, not a carbine.  It's design just makes it carbine sized while maintaining the benefits of being an assault rifle (the barrel is inside the gun, as opposed to outside of it.)  The key difference between SMGs and assault rifles really is ammunition though.  In truth, getting shot by a 9mm is more likely going to do more damage than getting hit with an AR's 5.56 or 7.62 rounds.  The 9mm is actually a nasty big but softer bullet in comparison, and it isn't prone to nor is it designed to sail all the way through someone like an AR round.  Instead, it will just bounce around, shredding the target from the inside until it hits something solid enough to stop it, but that solid object, like a bone, tends to shatter as a result.

Long story short: the SMG is like a claymore, the AR is like a spear.  The AR is the answer to long range fighting and body armor, at short range against unarmored targets, the AR is most likely to just punch a few holes into the target, and bleeding might finish them off.  SMG and pistol rounds aren't intended to ever leave the body however, and there isn't a doctor alive that would tell you they prefer a gunshot wound without an exit wound over gunshot wounds that have exit wounds.

Long story short: SMG's are more "impact" and "slash."  Assault rifles are more "puncture" with a side of "slash." 

We're looking at the darker brass tips here, the big gold bit is where all the gunpowder that launches the darn thing is stored.

Cartridges.jpg

Also, for those of you that really don't have any idea how big bullets usually are, here's a mind blow:

Cartridge%20size%20comparison%20-%20AA%2

Edited by Littleman88

Assault rifles tend to be larger weapons that use smaller, higher powered rounds to punch through armor and focus on accuracy over fire rate.  The TAR someone mistook for an SMG is actually a full fledged assault rifle, not a carbine.  It's design just makes it carbine sized while maintaining the benefits of being an assault rifle (the barrel is inside the gun, as opposed to outside of it.)  The key difference between SMGs and assault rifles really is ammunition though.  In truth, getting shot by a 9mm is more likely going to do more damage than getting hit with an AR's 5.56 or 7.62 rounds.  The 9mm is actually a nasty big but softer bullet in comparison, and it isn't prone to nor is it designed to sail all the way through someone like an AR round.  Instead, it will just bounce around, shredding the target from the inside until it hits something solid enough to stop it, but that solid object, like a bone, tends to shatter as a result.

Long story short: the SMG is like a claymore, the AR is like a spear.  The AR is the answer to long range fighting and body armor, at short range against unarmored targets, the AR is most likely to just punch a few holes into the target, and bleeding might finish them off.  SMG and pistol rounds aren't intended to ever leave the body however, and there isn't a doctor alive that would tell you they prefer a gunshot wound without an exit wound over gunshot wounds that have exit wounds.

Long story short: SMG's are more "impact" and "slash."  Assault rifles are more "puncture" with a side of "slash." 

That TAR's not a carbine after all?  Damn; I don't know anything anymore these days.

Anyway, interesting way of interpreting AR's and SMG's.

Edited by (PS4)Gross1985

That TAR's not a carbine after all?  Damn; I don't know anything anymore these days.

Anyway, interesting way of interpreting AR's and SMG's.

Nope, it's not.  The carbine is kind of an armor piercing SMG.  It's designed for short range encounters or more accurately, to work in smaller spaces, as often found in an urban setting, since it kind of sucks to have a big honkin' barrel that keeps smacking into things when pointing the darn thing at someone and squeezing the trigger in under a second without hassle can quite literally be the difference between life and death.

The TAR and other "bullpup" design weapons are an evolution of weaponry towards performing in that urban warfare environment.  All the compactness of the carbine/SMG, without sacrificing the accuracy of the full sized assault rifle.  Flexibility is key, since a soldier won't know if they'll be engaging someone in the same room or from down the street.

As for weapons like 50 calibers, any game that DOESN'T have people exploding into bits when shot by an MG is lying.  The air pressure from one of these rounds is a lethal force.  Several of the guns in game, especially when modded, should be leaving fine red mists in their wake.

Edited by Littleman88

Yes, and I'd like them to be functionally different than the Rifles, notably so, as the Grakata(Really only confirmed SMG in game) still feels like a rifle and not an SMG, they could do this by giving them some unique mods like they did with Shotguns, hopefully in a way that doesn't Dilute the Drop Tables

Guest Tehnoobshow

Bratons seem to have too high a firerate for an AR. The sounds it makes also aren't very "oomph" and it is very small.

The M16 has a firerate of around 900rpm (15 rounds per second). Most modern assault rifles have something similiar. They don't even make M16s with a full-auto mode anymore because it goes through ammo too quickly.

What would be the point? 

None of the reasons people use SMGs in reality apply here.  Our assault rifles have very limited recoil, size and maneuverability in CC just isn't as issue as our guns don't seem to actually take up space, and we have magic belts that allow us to carry 500 rounds worth of magazines in hammerspace.  Logistical concerns - using the same round as the issued pistol means less trouble on the supply train - is non-existent.

I think Dera passes as an SMG

It's respectively compact and has a high ROF

I wouldn't say the dera because it is compact for a RIFLE. The RoF isn't that fast, not to mention it has not one but TWO long barrels.

What would be the point? 

None of the reasons people use SMGs in reality apply here.  Our assault rifles have very limited recoil, size and maneuverability in CC just isn't as issue as our guns don't seem to actually take up space, and we have magic belts that allow us to carry 500 rounds worth of magazines in hammerspace.  Logistical concerns - using the same round as the issued pistol means less trouble on the supply train - is non-existent.

AR style weapons will have more range and puncture damage, while smgs will have more spread, faster fire rate, and deal mostly slash damage.