The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Theliset.com - U14 Official Hype Site - Updating Daily (It's Here Edition)

Letter13

The hype is still real, and though I'm really excited about the update I'm also slightly ticked off by now. I know bugs happen, and that the release can get delayed, but because I spent all night (for me, it's now 7AM) waiting on the update with my boyfriend on Skype, I now won't be able to see him for the day as he needs to sleep. He works at night, so that's messed up our plans...

If anything, I'm waiting until the two of us can play it together, so the update's delayed almost an entire day for me. Woo.

Hang in there, we'll get it soon, they have stuff to fix first!

I'm sure you guys don't want to log in and have your character gone forever or some sort of thing like that because a bug 

Here's the latest update:

"1:00 AM EDT Update: We're still working on things on our end! Thank you all so much for bearing with us.  The list of things to fix is still small, but they are critical for your enjoyment of U14 so we must squash!"

E: As an aside: I don't know why there's so many gifs of cute Asian women, but I don't disapprove.

Edited by Katakuna

No unfortunately, they literally took it down in seconds.

The cover picture was Mirage and the Lotus-symboled Kubrow. The rest was in Japanese so I couldn't read it.

Found the title: アップデート-14-―-狂った叡智

You could try searching your browsers cache on your HDD for that. But since we are going over SSL in this forum, this might not work.

Give it a shot anyway.

It shouldn't, that's what a worse case scenario plan is for; I don't even think what's going on right now is a worst case scenario in the grand scheme of things.

Though in the end good management is the result of good communication, and true unexpected major bug should never catch any management person by surprise, since they should consider any and all unexepected things even in the purely hypothetical sense.

I can plan for all scenarios from A to Z, then from AA to ZZ, and so on, and so on, but that does not mean this plan will catch all unexpected things, since I do not know every possible scenario. 

Rebecca says, "1:00 AM EDT Update: We're still working on things on our end! Thank you all so much for bearing with us.  The list of things to fix is still small, but they are critical for your enjoyment of U14 so we must squash!"

Go DE go!

I would have payed money to see that guy's face.

My friend plays Tau and I literally want to flip tables every time I go up against him. The amount of cheesy crap Tau can bring to bear is ridiculous D:

Keep in mind this was back BEFORE the new "Shooting during assault phase" thing. This was before Dark Eldar got their new codex. He ended up winning the Control Zones, but if we took into account forces at the end of teh game, I'd only lost my Manta, a Skyray, and a pair of Battlesuits, and he was down his Dias, ALL of his vehicles, most of his Witches were dead, and his command squad was fleeing in terror from my Vespids.

I felt sorry, because even though he won the engagement, the next fight was against Necrons. I had to do a followup fight against Chaos, who only got 2 turns before Their entire army was gone. I was laughing at the Dark Eldar Player. he tried so hard to win, and lost any chance of taking out any of the three monoliths there xD

Thankfully, one of those Monoliths was a useless hulk before that fight, the Defiler I desintigrated beat in one of the sides, and used the scraps as a weapon on one of the squads of warriors.

EDIT: I should specify that this was a fun tournament that we ran for a couple days wher I played. The primary focus was a sense of Reality: If you lost a unit, it was gone until the entire tournament was over. eight players, I was out in the Third round, with about 75% of my army remaining.

Edited by Mewfan

I can plan for all scenarios from A to Z, then from AA to ZZ, and so on, and so on, but that does not mean this plan will catch all unexpected things, since I do not know every possible scenario. 

it's actually pretty standard practice for anything like this to ask the techs 'Hey,when do you think this patch will be ready this week?'  They tell you Thursday.  You then post 'Patch is on friday', you give yourself 24 hours of oh shiet window.

You could try searching your browsers cache on your HDD for that. But since we are going over SSL in this forum, this might not work.

Give it a shot anyway.

I tried, could only bring up the link with the Japanese title. The post itself is restricted from public eye.

it's actually pretty standard practice for anything like this to ask the techs 'Hey,when do you think this patch will be ready this week?'  They tell you Thursday.  You then post 'Patch is on friday', you give yourself 24 hours of oh shiet window.

I think they meant for U14 to come on Wednesday, like almost every other update/patch, then gave themselves one more day, which happened to be not enough due to really unexpected glitches.

Easier said than done. Coding is a fickle thing. You never know what stupid thing will hiccup and there you have it. 

I tried, could only bring up the link with the Japanese title. The post itself is restricted from public eye.

Too bad google was too slow to catch that.

If I google アップデート-14-―-狂った叡智 I'll find only your post.

Easier said than done. Coding is a fickle thing. You never know what stupid thing will hiccup and there you have it. 

this

its rather easy to fix one thing and completely break another. Happens when Im doing linux kernel patches all the time, you try and add something from a future branch to an old branch that should slide in easy but breaks the hell out of something else.

Again, that's why you give  yourself a 24 hour window for if things DO hiccup, that way you have that time to fix it, and if you roll over into the next day, you post that the update is delayed, not go 2am into the next day still saying it's coming.

Except you do, this isn't quantum mechanics or a complete and accurate description of what's beyond an event horizon, there are no complete unknowables here, this is software that is being iterated on, things don't break by themselves, if something breaks, someone broke it and your programmers should be able to tell you what the worst possible things are that could happen and how long it would take to fix them.

When they said they wanted to release last week but they weren't going to make it, and then announced it for this week, I knew there was going to be trouble, why? Because I've managed projects and just the way Steve commented on the U14 release made me feel like things were still very, very rocky; the point here is they shouldn't have announced anything being ready for release without having a version that was actually ready for release, if you decide to keep iterating and then something breaks, fine, roll back and release the one that works, but don't set a date in stone when you don't actually have something yet.

Don't mistake my comment with being upset or whatever, cause really, I expected this would happen, or better said, I planned for it ;].

This isn't anything but a management or communication F*** up.

Edit: ^wolfheart gets it.

Edited by ReizoRyuu

Again, that's why you give  yourself a 24 hour window for if things DO hiccup, that way you have that time to fix it, and if you roll over into the next day, you post that the update is delayed, not go 2am into the next day still saying it's coming.

I think DE(L) did give themselves a day to get the bugs (Thursday being the buffer day), but even so, there can be unexpected major bugs that crop out despite the fact that the coding itself is logical and correct.