Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soo, Why Not Make Powers Moddable?

Psychotoxin

What i have in mind is something akin to this:

2536174-ci-210902313630372790.jpg

"Transistor is another masterpiece from Supergiant, but who didn`t know about that by now, right?"

So why not have our Frames have moddable skills. Right now the diferrence between my Nyx and someone else`s Nyx is:

A) cosmetic

B) In power range and durration.

Why not add, let`s say, a set of mods, that would be purely for modding powers. I know this could dillute the drop tables even further, but DE could add them like a speciffic drop from a boss. Make every boss drop one of these, and leave the random other mods for cannon-fodder mobs.

Let`s say, you kill our dear friend Ruk. We all know how he loves fire, and is yelling threats in a 3rd grade english. You go over to his lifeless husk, and get a mod for your powers. Let`s call it "Burning Rage".

What "Burning Rage" does:

for abilities like Absorb, Decoy, Iron Skin, etc. it draws aggro to Nyx/Loki`s decoy/Rhino (need rework for Iron Skin, so it doesn`t turn into Paper Skin.)

For abilities like Pull, Slash dash, Shuriken etc. It gives a chance to proc fire or make a small flaming explosion upon connecting with/affecting an enemy.

So every of these mods has an effect for non-damaging and a different effect for damage skills.

I could come up with other mods that would change your skills, but right now, i think most of you get the idea.

--OR--

Make the skills moddable with other skills. Let`s say, i want to use my Nyx`s Psychic Bolts, but they`re more than lack-luster. So i flop a MC on it and now - my Psychic bolts seek out targets, do laughably small damage, and mindcontrol them.

Thanks for your attention,

Vale!

EDIT: right. Forgot - They should be rather slow to rank up (option 1.), and should only be rankable by duplicates. So you can`t get one of them, and then max it in 5 seconds with 2424198769780 fusion cores.

EDIT V.2: Also - to make things clear - I don`t want them to be a rare chance to drop between useless mods (Trick Mag). I want them to be a regular drop - You kill the boss, and you get the mod. Always. Every time.

EDIT .3: Modded Skills don`t do elemental damage. They have a chance to proc the element. So we don`t have Ash throwing fire-balls, that also slice.

Also - The elemental mods should be only prime elements (no combos), So if we get a magnetic MM it only pulls stuff closer, or something, not doing magnetic damage/status.

Edited by Psychotoxin

i like the general idea, and with mods like these you can add utility to abilities that have none, but forgive if im just a bit less... enthusiastic about its possible implementation and the farming that would be required to do anything with this, like say melee 2.0.

i like the general idea, and with mods like these you can add utility to abilities that have none, but forgive if im just a bit less... enthusiastic about its possible implementation and the farming that would be required to do anything with this, like say melee 2.0.

That`s why i would like them to be regular drops from bosses. Every time you kill a boss, you get this mod.

But i can see what you mean. There still are weapons that don`t have stances in my inventory, because i am not able to spend 70+ hours rerunning survivals, just to get a stance, without hating the very idea of survival missions...

So u just want increase our farming like 4x times? NO THX =(

Not really, no... Believe me, I hate grinding as much as the next guy, and i wouldn`t want these to be like 0.005% of dropping from bosses besides all the trick mags, reaches, and vitalities... As i said - I want them to be a drop that you get every time you kill the boss.

Edited by Psychotoxin

I think taking on transistor ideas (which are amazing for the game)

a. Would be incredibly hard and time consuming not only to implement, but also to design, balance, stylise, test.

b. Steps away from what a warframe really is.

c. Makes things so much harder to plan as a player, just because you have a warframe on your team doesn't mean they will behave as you would expect.

d. Players being yelled at for not using the most popular combination.

I want to see transistors mod system in more games, but warframe isn't one of those.

Interesting idea, but for new players how would DE implement such a confusing system. They have already had a hard enough time making it easier for new players to understand what the game is in the game now. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but their are many cons; adding "tiers" of modding, it would be immensely confusing. I do have to say it is quite an interesting idea, but they would have to come up with types of mod mods(MM) that go on different types of abilities. They would have to make types of abilities so they can make certain types MM to go with certain abilities. I wouldn't like this because it would restrict uniqueness in abilities cause they would have to be somewhat similar to at least few other abilities for them to categorize it. They can't just keep making a million MM types to go with different ability types. The MM would be so rare you would have to go where they spawn a million times to get it and to get duplicates, to level it up, would be worse. I feel this idea would work better if there were only a small number of WF so that there were only a few types of MM. Don't get me wrong, this would be a VERY COOL addition to the game, but I feel it would change a lot how we deal with abilities. Which can be a good and a bad thing...

..."That's all I've got to say about that." -Forrest Gump

Perhaps not 'mods' in the conventional sense being applied onto abilities per say - instead, how about pre-existing settings that you can edit at will for each power as if you were modding them (think of it as an extremely short skill tree that just touches abilities) that you gain access to as you rank up.

So for example, say I equipe Vauban's Bounce, and once I rank him up to a certain point I eventually have the option to alter how Bounce works by choosing between a slightly wider bounce, a bounce that launches them a little higher, or a bounce that adds one additional launch before it disappears. And then when ever I get tired of the one I pick I can just flip the switch to a different setting.

The only problem with this whole system at large is that it kind of throws the proverbial monkey wrench into the proverbial gears that is Warframe's Modding system (2.0) and changing something like this would not only be a little cumbersome, it would probably require a lot of changes in other areas of the mod system, further perpetuating the process. The bigger the customization, the bigger the project. 

Powers are already moddable. What do you think Stretch, intensify and the like do?

The problem is that abilities fit a theme in this game. Giving the option to make Ash's shurikens burn enemies takes away from ember.

If you want additional customisation there are generic abilities coming in at some point (Soon) which should add more options.'

It isn't that I don't like the idea, it is more that it doesn't fit.

I think taking on transistor ideas (which are amazing for the game)

a. Would be incredibly hard and time consuming not only to implement, but also to design, balance, stylise, test. Well i have to agree to this one - it would take time. Didn`t ask it to be implemented tomorrow.

b. Steps away from what a warframe really is. And what would warframe really be? People already mod their frames to a set specialization. Some discard some of their powers for more mod space etc. etc. I`m not asking for them to make slash-dash into a fire-breathing dragon. A slash-dash will still be a slash-dash, it might just set people on fire.

c. Makes things so much harder to plan as a player, just because you have a warframe on your team doesn't mean they will behave as you would expect. last part of what`s above

d. Players being yelled at for not using the most popular combination. I mostly was thinking about addition of procs and more control (like aggro on skills that benefit from aggro) , not UBERMEGAPOWRBOOST.

I want to see transistors mod system in more games, but warframe isn't one of those.

Powers are already moddable. What do you think Stretch, intensify and the like do?

The problem is that abilities fit a theme in this game. Giving the option to make Ash's shurikens burn enemies takes away from ember.

If you want additional customisation there are generic abilities coming in at some point (Soon) which should add more options.'

It isn't that I don't like the idea, it is more that it doesn't fit.

Those mods mod the frame not the powers... You don`t equip stretch to a single skill, you add it to all of them...

And Ash`s shurikens might burn, but Ember`s fireball Incinerates. Burn proc, vs. Burn damage. And you could say - Equipping fire dmg mods on my glaive takes away from Ember.

Perhaps not 'mods' in the conventional sense being applied onto abilities per say - instead, how about pre-existing settings that you can edit at will for each power as if you were modding them (think of it as an extremely short skill tree that just touches abilities) that you gain access to as you rank up.

So for example, say I equipe Vauban's Bounce, and once I rank him up to a certain point I eventually have the option to alter how Bounce works by choosing between a slightly wider bounce, a bounce that launches them a little higher, or a bounce that adds one additional launch before it disappears. And then when ever I get tired of the one I pick I can just flip the switch to a different setting.

The only problem with this whole system at large is that it kind of throws the proverbial monkey wrench into the proverbial gears that is Warframe's Modding system (2.0) and changing something like this would not only be a little cumbersome, it would probably require a lot of changes in other areas of the mod system, further perpetuating the process. The bigger the customization, the bigger the project. 

Sorry, hadn`t noticed your post. Yeah, this idea is pretty interesting too, albeit different concept. :)