Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Puddle Hate - Possible Fix

(PSN)DesecratedFlame

I was thinking, most people hate Hydroid because of his puddle ability.  The puddle ability just wastes time and doesn't contribute to speeding up team kills, though it does still have its situational uses.  What if the ability was slightly changed so that everyone on his team could shoot them puddle and that damage would be transfered to ALL enemies currently in his puddle. It would take it from being one of the worst team skills in the game to one of the best, and I think it would make him a better, less-hated frame.

Thoughts?

It is one of the best skills in the game. Especially for Infested Defense, because it creates a safe zone around the objective that simultaneously damages the enemy, and furthermore stuns the enemies when they are released. 

And for solo, it is an effective stealth skill

I'm in favor of this. Perhaps damage done to the pool couldn't headshot for balance reasons.

Of course, this doesn't solve the fact that Undertow would become yet another Vortex — an ability that breaks the game because it makes a super easy flowchart, just slightly less so since Undertow doesn't pull enemies towards it and doesn't aggro enemies. But it's a start.

Maybe enemies exiting it could be "waterlogged" and becoming afflicted witha  short slow effect? 

As for channeled abilities in general, I'd like to see them start to drain more energy the longer they are cast.

I like my puddle, leave it alone please. Patience tenno, is it really about speed killing? 

You do have a point, but then there would be two vortexes. Kinda. 

To a lot of people, it is. There's nothing to do in this game other than kill, and waiting for way longer than you need to to kill enemies not only hinders the team in Survival (less oxygen drops), but it also makes gameplay supremely boring for everyone involved. That's why it's a grief/troll ability.

Maybe loot dropped from enemies killed in the puddle could float to the top? This would allow the team to grab oxygen from drowned enemies in Survival.

Oh. Another idea. Maybe damage done to the pool would increase its DoT? 

Edited by Noble_Cactus

I like my puddle, leave it alone please. Patience tenno, is it really about speed killing? 

You do have a point, but then there would be two vortexes. Kinda. 

Not really like vortex since it does not suck people into it so it would require more tactical play. 

Edited by (PS4)DesecratedFlame

To a lot of people, it is. There's nothing to do in this game other than kill, and waiting for way longer than you need to to kill enemies not only hinders the team in Survival (less oxygen drops), but it also makes gameplay supremely boring for everyone involved. That's why it's a grief/troll ability.

Maybe loot dropped from enemies killed in the puddle could float to the top? This would allow the team to grab oxygen from drowned enemies in Survival.

Oh. Another idea. Maybe damage done to the pool would increase its DoT? 

To be honest, I find that kinda sad. I always try to find fun and new ways to kill rather then just quick. I already know how to kill quick, I've already done that many hours. I also think you are being a tad hyperbole :/, except maybe when they puddle capture targets. I'll give ya that much.

Also, it's actually fairly useful during survival, if you don't use it for minutes at a time that is. I kinda wish we could move as a puddle, albeit slowly. And it's kinda weird teammates can't fire into the puddle. 

It'd be cool if that was for electric damage actually. Water does conduct electricity.

Also: For the love of god please don't put this in general ever again. It makes me sad. :|

A water molecule is made of 2 Hydrogen atoms covalently bonded to an Oxygen atom, there are NO free electrons or ions,so  the water molecule is electrically balanced. Since electrical current is defined as the number of charges (ions or electrons) passing a point per unit time then there can NOT be any charge flow in water. What actually passes the current is the little particles floating around in the water (electrons jumping from particle to particle).

Edit for clarity.

Edited by Lord-Taco-the-Great

A water molecule is made of 2 Hydrogen atoms covalently bonded to an Oxygen atom, there are NO free electrons or ions,so  the water molecule is electrically balanced. Since electrical current is defined as the number of charges (ions or electrons) passing a point per unit time then there can NOT be any charge flow in water. What actually passes the current is the little particles floating around in the water (electrons jumping from particle to particle).

Edit for clarity.

uhuh.. what that guy said...

Too strong by far

Itd truly trivialize infested

Nova+Hydroid + Valkyr to play bait and High DPH weapons with ammo efficiency like the Grinlock would make infested a joke

With the right setup Grineer and corpus would become equally useless

In my experience Undertow has myriad utilities as it is. As well as creating "safe zones" around objectives, it can be used to give your team a break from tough opponents, recover your shields in a sticky spot... one of my favourites is covering a strategic position to entrap enemies whilst a team member litters the surface of the puddle with Penta grenades, which are then detonated as Hydroid pops back up.

I'm a big Hydroid fan myself and not sure I'd want to see the ability change into something Vauban-esque. We already got Vauban for that :P

Is there a limit to how many enemies the puddle can hold down below?

Nope.

As for channeled abilities in general, I'd like to see them start to drain more energy the longer they are cast.

I was about to oppose this, then I read it through properly. Could be a good idea.

It'd be cool if that was for electric damage actually. Water does conduct electricity.

Also: For the love of god please don't put this in general ever again. It makes me sad. :|

Far as I know water by itself doesn't conduct electricity as water molecules don't have a charge, so they can't swap electrons hence electricity can't travel through water. However most water we know isn't distilled, so... Google ftw. 

With that irrelevant fact out of the way, Hydroid is based on the sea so I imagine his water is the salty kind, so having volt shoot a lightningbolt into the puddle would be a combo i'd love to see. 

Edit for clarity.

When most people talk about water, what they are speaking of is naturally occurring water found from the tap or a well, which contains dissolved salts and metals useful for the transmission of electricity.  Furthermore, when Hydroid dissolves himself, I'd like to think he's not going to go through the trouble of using his space ninja magic to distill himself.

Also, capitalizing interjections like "no" and "not" tends to communicate aggressive undertones in writing.

Edit for clarity.

wow you must be fun at party... one could explain desperately just to prove he is very clev... ah never mind