Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Bias In Warframe Power

Cradicias

Which sounds a lot to me like you saying males are unfairly underpowered. Warframe is one of the few games with good representations of both sexes (our characters can't have genders because they have no personalities), let's not mess with that.

...They -have- been underpowered. Look at Oberon and Nerkos, and compare them to Zephyr, Valkyr, Mirage. This is only a problem that's -recently- come up with some of the newer frames. Older male/female warframes are pretty damn even ('cept in rare cases with Rhino being an obvious one in past generations). Newer female warframes are -way- more powerful by comparison. Nova is an outstanding example, being able to clear rooms on the cheap. Is it intentional? I doubt it. But, it does need to be brought into perspective, it -is- happening.

Edit: Really, the best solution they could ever do would be to give a male and female version of each Warframe, then it would make sense that we're just hopping in and out of frames. At least for cosmetics. Then they can just focus on balancing the frames in general.

Edited by Cradicias

Look at Oberon and Nerkos, and compare them to Zephyr, Valkyr, Mirage. This is only a problem that's -recently- come up with some of the newer frames.

I don´t think you should compare Nekros and/or Oberon with Zephyr or Valkyr.

Oberon is great for healing, not better though Trinity though but Zephyr and Valkyr are not meant to work as healers. Valkyr of course can heal herself but no allies.

Nekros is an okay healer and the best frame for farming, there´s not one other frame that can do what he does. 

Well, Hydroid is a very good frame, i don´t think there´s any female frame you can compare him to. He is really good at CC, more than any female frame i can think of and he came out with U13.

Valkyr was simply broken when she came out.

I don´t think you should compare Nekros and/or Oberon with Zephyr or Valkyr.

Oberon is great for healing, not better though Trinity though but Zephyr and Valkyr are not meant to work as healers. Valkyr of course can heal herself but no allies.

Nekros is an okay healer and the best frame for farming, there´s not one other frame that can do what he does. 

Well, Hydroid is a very good frame, i don´t think there´s any female frame you can compare him to. He is really good at CC, more than any female frame i can think of and he came out with U13.

Valkyr was simply broken when she came out.

Not comparing them and their roles, just how good they are in general. I main Oberon and even I know he's just... not very good. I modded him out to be functional, but, in high end content he doesn't really cut it. His damage is sub-par, his healing is laughable (no, he's not good at healing, cept at the lowest levels) Sometimes, I forget Hydroid, who is pretty good. I will give him that. Also? Trinity? Best CC in the game. She has not one, but two CC's. Well of Life and Energy Vampire. Both stun their target and immobilize them. Plus the whole energy/health return from them.

...They -have- been underpowered. Look at Oberon and Nerkos, and compare them to Zephyr, Valkyr, Mirage. This is only a problem that's -recently- come up with some of the newer frames. Older male/female warframes are pretty damn even ('cept in rare cases with Rhino being an obvious one in past generations). Newer female warframes are -way- more powerful by comparison. Nova is an outstanding example, being able to clear rooms on the cheap. Is it intentional? I doubt it. But, it does need to be brought into perspective, it -is- happening.

Edit: Really, the best solution they could ever do would be to give a male and female version of each Warframe, then it would make sense that we're just hopping in and out of frames. At least for cosmetics. Then they can just focus on balancing the frames in general.

Still confused, why is this an issue? Nekros can't really compare to Zephyr, Valkyr, and Mirage, as none of them can reroll drops. None of the female frames are good at objective defense. I couldn't care less whether a frame is female or male, and I don't see why you do.

Edit: Trinity has the best CC in the game? Did Vauban suddenly cease to exist?

Edited by vaugahn

A bit of an exaggeration, I admit with Trinity. But, holy crap, she is ridiculous. Anyone who says she's worthless now has -no- idea what they're talking about. And again, it doesn't matter to me that they're male or female, just that the male warframes have been underpowered of late. They need to be brought up a bit to match the ingenuity and strength of their female counterparts. Why is everyone focusing on the genders as if that's the problem, when it's just the fact that we have a lot of underpowered warframes that have been released (coincidentally male). 

A bit of an exaggeration, I admit with Trinity. But, holy crap, she is ridiculous. Anyone who says she's worthless now has -no- idea what they're talking about. And again, it doesn't matter to me that they're male or female, just that the male warframes have been underpowered of late. They need to be brought up a bit to match the ingenuity and strength of their female counterparts. Why is everyone focusing on the genders as if that's the problem, when it's just the fact that we have a lot of underpowered warframes that have been released (coincidentally male). 

You're conveniently forgetting the many underpowered female frames we have. The problem with this thread is that it stinks of the whole "men's rights" thing. I have 3 male frames and 3 female frames in my inventory, and they all fill different roles. None of them are underpowered compared to their male or female counterparts.

Why?

Because if such a topic was being discussed seriously, I mean, a human being actually was obsessed that a bunch of polygons, arranged in a shape that suggests a male or female figure, that obviously have nothing on the inside - just look up Frost's sleeves, you will see background scenery, form some form of gender bias ...

Might as well get annoyed at too many male Transformers. Male Bias! We need Autobots-ettes!

Might be funny for one thread page, but it does NOT belong in "feedback".

You're conveniently forgetting the many underpowered female frames we have. The problem with this thread is that it stinks of the whole "men's rights" thing. I have 3 male frames and 3 female frames in my inventory, and they all fill different roles. None of them are underpowered compared to their male or female counterparts.

...I have -all- the frames. I'm not a men's rights activist. I'm simply stating the fact that the recent trend in Warframes has been that the female frames have very unique, well thought out powers that work together, while the male frames have been getting slapped together power sets that don't really mesh well. Yes, Nekros can reroll drops... That's all well and good, but, that's -all- he's really used for. Shadows of the Dead is lackluster and none of his powers synergize with it. Oberon was touted as a paladin whose powers would work together when they do nothing of the sort and he has absolutely zero advantages to using him instead of another frame. Then you look at Mirage, whose every power synergizes with her others, Zephyr, whose number one ability perfectly mixes with Dive Bomb while she's protected by her shield while flying. Valkyr whose just a melee beast with all her abilities being used to focus on that.

This is not a gender problem, this is a problem with balancing and ingenuity that has circumstantially plagued the male frames of late. So, please, stop with the whole cries of "Stop caring about gender" It's not about that. It's about seeing frames that have so little thought put into them.

Edited by Cradicias

...I have -all- the frames. I'm not a men's rights activist. I'm simply stating the fact that the recent trend in Warframes has been that the female frames have very unique, well thought out powers that work together, while the male frames have been getting slapped together power sets that don't really mesh well. Yes, Nekros can reroll drops... That's all well and good, but, that's -all- he's really used for. Shadows of the Dead is lackluster and none of his powers synergize with it. Oberon was touted as a paladin whose powers would work together when they do nothing of the sort and he has absolutely zero advantages to using him instead of another frame. Then you look at Mirage, whose every power synergizes with her others, Zephyr, whose number one ability perfectly mixes with Dive Bomb while she's protected by her shield while flying. Valkyr whose just a melee beast with all her abilities being used to focus on that.

What about Ember, Saryn, and Banshee? All three are currently severely underpowered. Your problem is you made this thread about gender, rather than the obvious issue of underpowered frames in general.

This is not a gender problem, this is a problem with balancing and ingenuity that has circumstantially plagued the male frames of late. So, please, stop with the whole cries of "Stop caring about gender" It's not about that. It's about seeing frames that have so little thought put into them.

U10, Nekros, he is an "okay" healer and the only farmer, not OP or useless.

U11, Valkyr, completely broken at release. Fixed at U13?

U12, Oberon, he is a very good healer but not much else, he could use a buff.

U13, Hydroid, "okay" damage and great CC, better than any female at CC.

U14, Mirage, she just got released and she mught be nerfed. But like Hydroid and Loki, she is pretty much unique, not much frames she can be compared to.

And again, I made a note of that early on that I couldn't think of a better way to phrase the current issue with the title. Many of the older frames are underpowered compared to the new female frames, both male and female alike in the older generations. It's just kinda sad that they have all this creative power being put into just one half of the frames that are coming out, then completely ignoring the others (who, again, coincidentally are male) Maybe I should make a new topic since people have seemed to get the wrong idea as to what this thread is about. 

Edit: Oberon's heals suck. Small amount and too slowly. His damage blows. he needs a MASSIVE buff and a complete reevaluation of his set.

Edited by Cradicias

And again, I made a note of that early on that I couldn't think of a better way to phrase the current issue with the title. Many of the older frames are underpowered compared to the new female frames, both male and female alike in the older generations. It's just kinda sad that they have all this creative power being put into just one half of the frames that are coming out, then completely ignoring the others (who, again, coincidentally are male) Maybe I should make a new topic since people have seemed to get the wrong idea as to what this thread is about. 

Yeah, try that. And don't include gender anywhere in the new topic because it has literally nothing to do with frames being over or underpowered.

Yeah, try that. And don't include gender anywhere in the new topic because it has literally nothing to do with frames being over or underpowered.

Yeah, like I said, it's not intentional, just a coincidence that the newest ones that have come out and been lackluster are male. Wasn't trying to claim that it's an actual gender problem in the game. just an accidental one that's only recently arose.

Yeah, like I said, it's not intentional, just a coincidence that the newest ones that have come out and been lackluster are male. Wasn't trying to claim that it's an actual gender problem in the game. just an accidental one that's only recently arose.

They release frames in a M M F F M M pattern, so it's most likely not due to the gender of the frame but just the devs lacking inspiration for that cycle of new frames.

They release frames in a M M F F M M pattern, so it's most likely not due to the gender of the frame but just the devs lacking inspiration for that cycle of new frames.

Heh, in which case, they need to do M F M F, get some inspiration to both sides =P

That´s the Prime frames release pattern, the normal warframes are released in this pattern, M F M F.

Also where does Vor imply the same Tenno occupies different frames? After all, there's the Valkyr conundrum, where Valkyr is Valkyr and only Valkyr. There's barely any lore in this game, so I think there's a bit of a schism we have to accept where not everything that happens in the ship is canon.

I like the idea of each frame being occupied by a unique individual anyway, since it reminds me of the Japanese sci fi/Tokusatsu shows this game is based on.

Vor states that Tenno are energy, and that "each Warframe you control shapes your furious light"

Valkyr is not only Valkyr. In the Codex is says "the original Valkyr" meaning there are more. The Tenno must have liked the modifications Alad forced in that Warframe and copied it.

I think that what Vor said could be a metaphor. Tenno have the power and the Warframe is a way to control them.

Vor explicitly states "each Warframe you control," so we know it's the same Tenno controlling multiple 'frames.  The light bit may have been slightly poetic, since he also states that you have a spine.  However, it seems likely that given the wildly different sizes and shapes of the Warframes, the Tenno cannot be conventionally human.

Vor explicitly states "each Warframe you control," so we know it's the same Tenno controlling multiple 'frames.  The light bit may have been slightly poetic, since he also states that you have a spine.  However, it seems likely that given the wildly different sizes and shapes of the Warframes, the Tenno cannot be conventionally human.

Or they are, and they need a male/female variant of each frame to let us be an individual.

Or they are, and they need a male/female variant of each frame to let us be an individual.

*shrug*  Not happening as per repeat dev comments in streams.  I am also personally certain that we will discover the Tenno are cybernetic or energetic in nature (as hinted at by some of the comments about Focus and about the inhuman shapes of the later 'frames), and fairly strongly suspect this is tied to why they (are believed to have?) wiped out the Orokin.

(To say nothing of the fact that Vor's mind-control device is apparently similar enough to the Moa restraining bolts that the Corpus already have the design of its removal tool...)

Edited by noneuklid