Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Phobias

Caveman1401

do you have a phobia? i have 3, trypophobia  i tell you even with all this photo shopping i am scared, the fear of tiny holes,  https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=955&q=trypophobia&oq=try&gs_l=img.3..0l10.3527.3892.0.9379.3.3.0.0.0.0.370.370.3-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.49.img..2.1.369.m-tzyMRhG_U  

then its the fear of the dark and arachnophobia

Whats yours?

-Caveman1401 

Procrastination (somewhat). 

If unnecessary worrying it is anxiety.

Renegade ninja'd the other half about being lazy.

It's more along the lines of did I make the right choice and do I really want to do this for the rest/part of my life?

There is a fear which is a fear of having a fear.

You'd be in a constant state of fear and you'd never stop.

Phobophobia

It's more along the lines of did I make the right choice and do I really want to do this for the rest/part of my life?

Are we talking along the lines of work? Work you can always take up a new profession just don't quit your current job because that means no money while you learn.

Edited by Postal_pat

Moths, they absolutely scare the living **** out of me. Even worse in Skyrim: Dawnguard expansion where you have to get moths to follow you. I had to zoom out to maximum and constantly swing my sword during that part.

Edited by qwurty566

I fear nothing. Seriously, it's in your head. All of it.

Well doesn't mean you have courage my friend. Courage is the ability to face your fears head on, rather than have no fears to face. Regardless, everybody has a fear of something in the world.

I have a phobia of heights.

And for all who are wondering, the fear of darkness is Nyctophobia.

Luckily for me, I'm a nycto/phile./

Edit; To clarify, to be a nyctophile, one has a strong like for the darkness. In my case, I like it more than the light. It makes me feel safe, and calm, and isn't blindingly bright like the sun. (Not to say I hate the sun, I love all the vibrant colors of day too!)

Edited by WingedCrusade

Phobias are irreal, they does not have any sense

There is a difference between phobia and fear

Fear have some reasonable basic, but when you are aware of every spider what you see - it's phobia, if you are aware of Black Widow then that's reasonable (I know a lot about spiders and their behaviour) as this spider have quite danger venom.

Spiders are trivial animals, they won't bite without reason (excluding the sick ones, they usually can be agressive without any reason and even bite the glass in their madness - but this is very rare case). However, trivial animals behavior follows their instincts, that means if they will sense a threat they will run away in 80%, or start to being aggressive (less possible). There are theories that tells what can make spider angry, like sweat, if you have a spider on skin - don't panic and try to don't sweat.

That is similar to snakes, you fear them, so don't get closer and everything should be fine.

Many animals are peaceful, even sharks (you know the definition of myth?), but every animal have some weak spot to make them angry.

Phobia about small / closed rooms? What's the reason? Lol

About acrophobia (fear of places high above the ground) this is more reasonable in my opinion, only moron will dance on the edge of the roof.

Some1 who didn't use to that kind of view from high places can got dizziness (and I belive this have science evidences, it's not only about your mentality). I won't tell if this is a phobia or fear... you can't cheat your brain in some cases

Edit; To clarify, to be a nyctophile, one has a strong like for the darkness. In my case, I like it more than the light. It makes me feel safe, and calm, and isn't blindingly bright like the sun. (Not to say I hate the sun, I love all the vibrant colors of day too!)

Same here, darkness is more peacefull than daylight.

My advice to guys with any phobia - trust the science and logic.

Sure, your brain can get some panic signals (or have to), but you have to understand the reason

Spiders, sharks, snakes, they are not serial killers :)

Edited by EmbedFire

this is the only topic that has reached 2 pages, ANYWAY back to work, the most uncommon fear for me that i don't have, i just find it weird: 

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia: the fear of long words 

Photophobia: the fear of light

whats yours?

-Caveman1401

Edited by Caveman1401

Interestingly, there's some debate in the psychological community regarding how the phenomenon known as "trypophobia" should be classified.

It doesn't appear to be a classical "phobia," and lots - I mean lots - of academics bristle at the mere mention of it.

Trypophobia is a strange beast. In a social setting, it appears to operate primarily in a memetic or nocebic way. Often someone will mention being disgusted by, or frightened of, "tiny clustered holes," triggering a visceral reaction in others. These people are likely to react the same way in the future to "tiny clustered holes" because the idea now carries an innate "grossness."

It isn't easily summarized, because it involves such a strong social component. The general consensus, among those who are willing to even discuss it, is that "cases" have to be looked at individually. Someone who manifests an overwhelming fear of tiny clustered holes that prevents them from carrying on with ordinary life would most likely merit clinical attention.

On the other hand, the vast majority of people are simply exposed to the memetic component. These people (myself included) are likely to be grossed out by the concept of tiny clustered holes in organic material, or in material that appears organic. This usually only occurs because of pre-existing context. We've already been warned or "primed" to feel fear or disgust, so it isn't surprising that we do. The brain is just trying to save time and behave rationally. A strong aversion is completely understandable, because the object's appearance suggests disease and danger. As humans, we're likely to be reminded of illnesses that affect the skin. Rashes, blisters and parasites are all things our bodies have a vested interest in keeping us away from.

TL;DR - Trypophobia (mentioned in the OP) is controversial, mainly because cases of people simply being grossed out FAR exceed those of people reporting a clinical condition characterized by crippling aversion to tiny clustered holes. Academia is pretty sore on the topic. Having a visceral reaction to "gross" pictures is no indication whatsoever that you might be suffering from some hidden condition that has just been triggered. Actually, you're in the majority.

Scotomophobia - The fear of blindness

Now, I'm pretty much scared if I am unable to see as I have no idea what is going on.

Aichmophobia- The fear of knives, needles, and other sharp objects

I don't know why, but I really don't like knives, or sharp things, especially needles.

Agliophobia- The fear of pain

Isn't it obvious? It's pain.

Entomophobia- Fear of insects

I really, really, really, really, *really* do not enjoy insects of any kind.

Apiphobia- Fear of bees

Included under entomophobia, but this one, along with Speksophobia (the fear of wasps) is one of my most notable fears, and is immediately noticable as soon as a bee or wasp flies within a 5 foot radius of me.

Arachnophobia- It's not just the fear of spiders, but actually all arachnids (spiders, scorpions, etc.)

I'm not crazy, I don't like bugs in general.

In short, I'm afraid of a lot of things.