Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does Only The Nikana Get A Sheathe?

darthdart

Why does the "It's like I'm in one of my Japanese animes!" sword get special treatment for it's sheathe but the majority of other swords/axes/melee get the lame gears of war magnet back treatment?

Before anyone answers in a snarky response and vomits out how Katanas work, I'm aware of how they are sheathed and why it's that way in the game, I'm asking why everything else gets dumped on in terms of that kinda quality and attention to detail in comparison.

Because creating sheats for every weapon might be helluva time consuming? And children love Katanas ( because of the "best svurd evar" ) so there is your reason why Nikana got special attention.

Because people will throw money in DE direction, if they release overused and lame weapons.

Because creating sheats for every weapon might be helluva time consuming? And children love Katanas ( because of the "best svurd evar" ) so there is your reason why Nikana got special attention.

Because people will throw money in DE direction, if they release overused and lame weapons.

how is a katana lame? It is overplayed but I've enjoyed using Katanas in almost every mmo i've played and in Conker's bad fur day too. It's a cool weapon.

Imo the constant resheathing of the katana in warframe is "feh" to me and I wish they would let you just keep it out.

Wait, how would you sheath a hammer? Or and Axe? It would only work for blade weapons and why bother? They spent time designing the blade, might as well show it off.

You would holster an axe with some sorta, holster off of the hip. No idea on the hammer.

Because the sheathe is technically a weapon all on its own? Several combos in the Tranquil Cleave stance use it as a blunt instrument.

Besides, why are sheathes for the other weapons necessary? It's the future. Sticks-to-the-back technology is probably ubiquitous.

Wait, how would you sheath a hammer? Or and Axe? It would only work for blade weapons

An axe IS a bladed tool.  If you don't grok this, then you have never seen a real, properly made and properly sharpened, axe. 

As for how,

axe_close.jpg

Sheaths for hatchets (i.e. fighting size) typically have either a loop or hook on the back to connect to your belt, or your belt would have a plate with a sturdy loop on it that the handle drops down into.

Edited by Momaw

An axe IS a bladed tool.  If you don't grok this, then you have never seen a real, properly made and properly sharpened, axe. 

As for how,

axe_close.jpg

Axe sheaths typically have either a loop or hook on the back to connect to your belt, or your belt would have a plate with a sturdy loop on it that the axe handle drops down into.

Bit awkward to repeatedly use in combat, wouldn't you say?

how is a katana lame? It is overplayed but I've enjoyed using Katanas in almost every mmo i've played and in Conker's bad fur day too. It's a cool weapon.

Imo the constant resheathing of the katana in warframe is "feh" to me and I wish they would let you just keep it out.

Katanas aren't lame. They are overused and are notorious for their "ultimate sword legendary status" when in reality, they are no different than the other swords in its category.

It's not the sword…its the user that determines how dangerous it is.

Okay,time to unsheeeaaaathe Galatine...

(before melee 2.0 and Nikana, we used guns & blades along everytime.Imagine using your gun, unsheathing/sheathing your sword,using your secondary,unsheathing/sheathing, and so on...)

They could try to do a stance about this.

As for how,

axe_close.jpg

Sheaths for hatchets (i.e. fighting size) typically have either a loop or hook on the back to connect to your belt, or your belt would have a plate with a sturdy loop on it that the handle drops down into.

This.

Also, this.

pouch-hammer.jpg

An idle stance for drawn hammers and axes along these lines would also work well, for certain stances.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Bit idiotic to repeatedly sheath your weapon in the middle of combat, wouldn't you say?

Aha, reminds me of Shinobi, a game way back in 2002.

When you kill an enemy, they'll freeze in place. They'll only get slashed to pieces/drop dead after you sheathe the Katana.

http://youtu.be/DvyxNGDghOY?t=39s

1. A lot of Nikana stances are based on Iaido, which uses an economic quick draw sort of method.

Saying "a lot" isn't really appropriate here, as only Tranquil Cleave is reminiscent of Iaido, game-wise that is. But yeah, single-handed quick draw sort of method.

Vergil on DMC3 also employs the Iaido as his playstyle; he unsheathes his Yamato every time after doing slashes.

Why does the "It's like I'm in one of my Japanese animes!" sword get special treatment for it's sheathe but the majority of other swords/axes/melee get the lame gears of war magnet back treatment?

Before anyone answers in a snarky response and vomits out how Katanas work, I'm aware of how they are sheathed and why it's that way in the game, I'm asking why everything else gets dumped on in terms of that kinda quality and attention to detail in comparison.

Why are they sheathed?  Among  the more recognizable of tradtional laido techniques revolve around the sheath.  In terms of game development, the sheath is integral to the weapon animations, which is why it was added.  The sheath itself was a necessary part of the weapon's development; the custom animations needed for a weapon of its type requires a sheath to function and it's very use in the weapon animations is what makes the weapon unique and characteristic.

Why do other weapons not have sheaths?  Their combat styles do not necessitate sheaths.  Yes, I'd much like some futuristic metal sleeve to hold my flaming greatsword, but a large sheath attached the the back of my warframe would not play a large role in the weapon animation.  The fact that it isn't a required asset in the gameplay means that adding one is simply extra work for the developers who already have a lot on their plates.

It's not so much a dumping of quality and attention as is the developers needing to break down potential content into its pieces, then see which pieces it must implement in order to make said content function.  If it isn't required, it is time that could be spent on other necessary pieces of other pieces of upcoming content.  And coming from a person with close friends in game design, I can assure you that concepting, 3d modeling, texturing, adding effects, and adding required animations to any 3d model is a very long process; given how many melee weapons we have in the game, coming up with the appropriate sheathe per weapon that wouldn't compromise on the "quality and attention" you desire is a very steep task.  

Even if sheathes were made more general aka: One for all Tenno swords, One for all Tenno polearms, One for all Infested two-handed; there are so many weapons now that even trying to match faction and weapon type remains a daunting task.  Should they not, players would then harp on them for a lack of effort and quality.

And as for animations, I do suppose that after the short lull when a player stops mashing E, animations could be put into place to have the weapon be put back into its same place on the waist, but inside a modeled sheath.  This would remove the ties binding sheaths to weapon animations, but not only does the point still still stand regarding development of the actual sheaths, but I can see some more clipping issues coming up.  Sure, we have plenty, but they're never a good thing.

If they had the time and resources, they may go back.  But with the aftermath of U14, various weapon/frame rebalances inbound, and Tennolive coming up, I very much doubt they will anytime soon.

Edited by DalaiLlama