Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Dodge System Would Be Nice

Vargras

In its current state, there are dodges within Warframe -- actually using them is a bit of a hassle, however. You have to be holding RMB, you have to be moving in a direction, and then you also have to tap Shift to even perform the dodge.

Instead of making it so complicated, let's pull a page from Mass Effect 3 (and its multiplayer) and add a dedicated button for dodging: the spacebar. It's currently used for nothing at all, so why not tie dodges to it and set it up so that players will dodge in the direction they're moving upon hitting the spacebar?

Instead of making it so complicated, let's pull a page from Mass Effect 3 (and its multiplayer) and add a dedicated button for dodging: the spacebar. It's currently used for nothing at all, so why not tie dodges to it and set it up so that players will dodge in the direction they're moving upon hitting the spacebar?

The spacebar is the default key for jumping (and wall-running/climbing). Just saying. 

In its current state, there are dodges within Warframe -- actually using them is a bit of a hassle, however. You have to be holding RMB, you have to be moving in a direction, and then you also have to tap Shift to even perform the dodge.

Spacebar: Jump button.

Unless you want it to also be the dodge button like mass effect 3.

The spacebar is the default key for jumping (and wall-running/climbing). Just saying. 

Spacebar: Jump button.

Unless you want it to also be the dodge button like mass effect 3.

I actually forgot jumping was even a thing in Warframe for a moment.

Either way, a dedicated button for it would be nice, rather than having to use both RMB and shift.

I actually forgot jumping was even a thing in Warframe for a moment.

Either way, a dedicated button for it would be nice, rather than having to use both RMB and shift.

How could you forget jumping?

But anyways, I think the current system does make it a bit difficult to have directional dodge rolls. I was thinking of maybe using how Dead Space 3 does its dodge rolls, but I am not sure if that would be applicable into Warframe (would it disrupt the flow of gameplay? Would it end up looking like the character is having a small seizure etc.). 

How could you forget jumping?

But anyways, I think the current system does make it a bit difficult to have directional dodge rolls. I was thinking of maybe using how Dead Space 3 does its dodge rolls, but I am not sure if that would be applicable into Warframe (would it disrupt the flow of gameplay? Would it end up looking like the character is having a small seizure etc.). 

In DS3 it barley ever worked because of how the combat was like and how the enemies were like. You'd be able to get out of the way when you see 3 necromorphs coming after you.

As for WF, the way the bullets hit you and how fast they are, I really don't see it being used.

It's topics like this that make me so glad to be a PS4 player primarily. Dodging is so simplistic on controllers.

pcmasterraceamiriteguise?

It's exactly the same on a keyboard/mouse. Hit the sprint key.

It's just that dodging itself sucks across all platforms.

In DS3 it barley ever worked because of how the combat was like and how the enemies were like. You'd be able to get out of the way when you see 3 necromorphs coming after you.

That was my initial thoughts when I saw the gameplay reveal (or something of the sort), but if we were to revamp the dodge system, that could be taken a small look into for a very quick idea (at least in terms of speed of the rolls). 

As for WF, the way the bullets hit you and how fast they are, I really don't see it being used.

Those massive damage from the Ogris and Napalm shots? Rolling while they hit at or near you would decrease quite a bit of damage, so at least there is some niche use (and maybe dodging all those Corpus plasma shots during those high damage mini-events). 

That was my initial thoughts when I saw the gameplay reveal (or something of the sort), but if we were to revamp the dodge system, that could be taken a small look into for a very quick idea (at least in terms of speed of the rolls). 

Those massive damage from the Ogris and Napalm shots? Rolling while they hit at or near you would decrease quite a bit of damage, so at least there is some niche use (and maybe dodging all those Corpus plasma shots during those high damage mini-events). 

Those are the slow moving attackers, I'm mainly talking about those like the Grataka or the Dera/supra crewmen.

I was so unaware it's rough to double tap shift for a roll lol.  You only need RMB to do the backflip though, seems weird to me a founder didn't realize this and forgot jumping is in the game.  I wouldn't mind something more ninja or sci-fi but it's not like you can't make it work or choose a direction to roll in. 

Edited by Amzen

It's exactly the same on a keyboard/mouse. Hit the sprint key.

It's just that dodging itself sucks across all platforms.

I've never had any issues with dodging personally. Yeah the magnetic bullets do occasionally still wing me but there are far fewer of them hitting me as I've noticed.

I dodge a LOT though.

Dodge-shoot-power-dodge-power-shoot-dodge-reload-power-shoot-dodge-jump-slide-shoot-dodge

With melee, dodging and blocking are perfect ways to close a gap.

Edited by Kestral9999

i would be incredibly happy if jumping in warframe was less clunky and didn't have so many restricting animation frames around the takeoff/landing

in combat i find that it is much more functional/easier to roll away or move-THEN-jump vs being able to just jump straight up

i have no idea why it works like it does ingame and/or why anyone would think it's ok the way it is currently =[, it has always bugged me

Those are the slow moving attackers, I'm mainly talking about those like the Grataka or the Dera/supra crewmen.

The Dera and Supra can be still be dodged with a dodge roll. They do have a bit of travel time, so at least there is a bit of reaction time to dodge (except for very short distances, in which case shooting at them would be the better option to dodge the fire). As for the hit-scan weapons, I hear it is possible as well (which I did try to confirm with rolling around a Frontier Grineer Lancer. Almost all of his shots did not land for some reason). 

There is no point using dodging at the moment. It's takes too much time to execute in the beginning, and the recovery time after the maneuver is too long. You're a sitting duck for a whole half a second or more, and it almost takes half a second just to execute it. Rolling is another thing I'd like to have it's own dedicated button. EDIT: Wait it can already do this. My bad. 

Why the context-sensitive stuff? It was developed to give console gamers more options, but this is primarily a PC title, they should give us all the customization advantages being on a PC brings, including completely customizeable key-mappings. 

If you want to be context-sensitive, more power to you... But I'm just saying that personally I'd prefer it if I could split all the context-sensitive inputs and give each their own dedicated button for increased response-time. Less of the Jump/Wall-run/Leap/Vault button, more of the Jump, Wall-run, Leap and Vault buttons. 

Edited by TwiceDead

Using the dodge-roll became a lot easier and more fluid for me when I take it off the sprint button and gave it its own control.  (I used Alt)

As for the hit-scan weapons, I hear it is possible as well (which I did try to confirm with rolling around a Frontier Grineer Lancer. Almost all of his shots did not land for some reason). 

Enemies have a slight lag in tracking you with their weapons. This is done on purpose so that you can evade some fire by keeping on the move.

I remapped my sprint/roll button to Mouse3. Makes running and dodging a whole lot easier and more comfortable. I also jump exclusively with front/backflips.While most Grineer weapons are hitscan, and therefore undodgable, I can usually avoid a good amount of Corpus fire, and a lot Infested attacks by rolling and flipping. It just takes skill, I'd hate to see it dumbed down to a single 'press-button-for-insta-dodge.'

Enemies have a slight lag in tracking you with their weapons. This is done on purpose so that you can evade some fire by keeping on the move.

I thought this was only when you're playing as client, because i can't quite remember this being the case when you were a host.