Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Seriously, Autoformatting Is Cancer, And Yet We're Expected To Use It.

taiiat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

look, i'm a wizard, and i used a butchered useless in the modern world browser to force the WYSIWYG Editor to output plain text.

ea7PCY9.png

boom. IP.Board is completely capable of what we're asking for the OPTION to use.

I just noticed that I can achieve the same effect with Firefox and activated NoScript for this site. Sure, quick response quote or multiquote doesn't work any more, but neither does the WYSIWYG editor. Upvote button however still works.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone in DE is actually responsible for maintaining it <_<.

there's certainly a Web Team, but honestly, no offense, but the Web Team seems to turn off Forum Features more than things are fixed, improved, or turning on options that should be on in the first place.

i know they can make the simple workaround fixes like allowing us to choose something other than the WYSIWYG Editor, but for reasons unknown to me, seem to refuse to do so.

Bugs in core features like BBcode parsing are the fault of the forum software.

That said... I've never dealt with forum software that handled line breaks and lists properly. PHPBB, Xenforo, IPB, etc.  All of them either insert extras or delete existing upon posting or even previewing.

However people usually use the manual code editor to get around these bugs.

there's certainly a Web Team, but honestly, no offense, but the Web Team seems to turn off Forum Features more than things are fixed, improved, or turning on options that should be on in the first place.

i know they can make the simple workaround fixes like allowing us to choose something other than the WYSIWYG Editor, but for reasons unknown to me, seem to refuse to do so.

I haven't noticed their web team doing anything at all to the forum engine. They supposedly made some adjustments to themes, but that's it.

That said... I've never dealt with forum software that handled line breaks and lists properly. PHPBB, Xenforo, IPB, etc.  All of them either insert extras or delete existing upon posting or even previewing.

it's possible, i guess. however, this is the second forum i've ever been on that forces a WYSIWYG Editor, therefore forcing stupid problems on everyone.

i've never had issues with IP Board, Xenforo, PHPBB, vBulletin, Et Cetera - ever, anywhere else. because the default Editor is either not WYSIWYG or i can opt out of using it.

plain text presentation always works correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get some sort of response onto why it's not there or something if you're not willing to enable it?

It's a serious detriment to making long, expanded posts.

7wE8ecx.png

I have to keep handwritten BBcode versions of some of my threads on my computer just so I'll be able to go and edit a big first post later without the forum software tripping over itself trying to parse its own output.

Edited by Rydian

Yeah, having a forum engine that parses the text both to save and to show what it saved is always a pain.

Maybe it's abilities of retrieving bbcode out of whatever format it stores the posts in is so poor that forum support just gave up?

• 2 weeks later...

Making this post was infuriating. Kept pasting quotes at the bottom and having to delete to add returns below so I could continue. Had borders disappear, quote owner lines disappear, formatting problems with bold/underline.

I could have typed it in notepad with tags in 60-120 seconds with InSpecter's quote info on the clipboard. Instead I had to brawl with the WYSWIG for about eight minutes and I knew if I had to edit it afterwards all would be lost.

Forum overseers, please give Taiiat a serious reply.

Edited by VKhaun

Well at least people can resort to ad-blocking part of the Warframe forums in order to improve their experience.

hadn't thought of trying, and was extremely tempted to do so, but it doesn't seem to have done anything from what i can see.

Edit:

had a typo. it looked good, but i found a problem.

CuUhBmJ.png.

i guess i'll look around some more.

Edit2:

wait, you're creating an exception?

i don't see why you'd create an exception for that file unless you were... blocking the entire Domain to begin with, which sounds silly.

Edit3:

well, i've run out of patience for right now. blocking the source files for the Editor seems to just make it unable to function.

Edited by taiiat

1 - The screenshot changed to exception automatically because I had it blocked to test, confirmed it worked, then pulled up the dialoge again, so it changed to exception automatically.

2 - By default it will NOT block just the file.  It will want to block the whole folder.  You gotta' click the top option in the permutations of blockable styles in order to block JUST that file and not the whole folder of scripts.