Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Steam Require You To Have Spent Any Money To Access All Features?

Cemges

So I am bored at home and writing an essay on steam and future of it, and I need to ask, does steam still need you to have spent money before accessing all social features? When tf2 had become f2p, that was the case, is it still the same?

No, wish it did, would lessen the amount of idiots on it

However, TF2 does need you to spend at least £1 or something to access the "premium" features, more inventory slots and all those things :/

Overall on steam it is free however to have more "showcases" on your profile or to have more friends you do need a higher level profile. Which is acquired through making badges which can be acquired but are mostly build using trading cards, which you can buy from the market, get through playing the game and trading. Around £10 will easily get you to have a higher limit of friends and (Estimated) level 15 (if you start from 0-1)

EDIT: Based on other responses maybe I just don't notice any limitations :/

Edited by noveltyhero

In order to have a full friends list (more than 1) you need to have purchased at least 1 title on their platform (a game from a store counts too, as long as it is activated on steam). This is how it worked about 2-3 years (maybe 3-4) ago when I created my account. I don't know if it's still the same though. Also it probably had other limitations as well, aside from the friends list thing.

I personally don't find having to get at least one game to access the full steam features to be too draconian. If you download steam, it's because you want to buy games on it. Besides, it's easy to find a game that isn't worth more than a few bucks to get around the restrictions.

Having the more important social features locked out to people who haven't spent any money filters out idiots and spambots.

For those who want more friends than the default 250 after that... There's groups... I guess.

Edited by Cyborger1

Yes! Hang on, I'll grab the video.The TLDW version is 20cents per friend on your friends list.... Among other thingshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biU54b6Kk_k&list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biU54b6Kk_k&list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQ

That just seems too cynical to me... I mean, steam is a multi billion company, would they bother themselves for a couple hundred thousand dollars, really? I mean I don't even care about those cards or competition, I have never done. Although having to spend 1 dollar for every level seems stupid but then again, steam is never completely free, nothing is.... On the other side, having friend limitation is not important but the fact that you need money and stupid effort to add more friends sounds stupid, although it never bothered me. But seriously, die hard fans are to blame.

That just seems too cynical to me... I mean, steam is a multi billion company, would they bother themselves for a couple hundred thousand dollars, really? I mean I don't even care about those cards or competition, I have never done. Although having to spend 1 dollar for every level seems stupid but then again, steam is never completely free, nothing is.... On the other side, having friend limitation is not important but the fact that you need money and stupid effort to add more friends sounds stupid, although it never bothered me. But seriously, die hard fans are to blame.

I was mainly linking it for the part about limited friends-list.