Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So This Game Is Now Even More Star Wars

Earz

(Just saw DevStream 37)

The more this game produces, the more my body is not reggie.

So it's pretty obvious the Grineer are basically Clone Troopers/Storm Troopers.

The Corpus are the CIS.

The Tenno must bring balance (to the force).

We got our trusty R2-DethCube and friends.

We Got Hoth.

We Got Geonosis/Tatoonie.

We Got Bespin.

We Got Endor/Kashyyyk.

And now, Incoming Kamino. And what happened on Kamino? Cloning. And what is happening on our version of Kamino? Cloning.

We also got Archwing coming with one of its game modes requiring us to basically blow up a junior Death Star.

And many more comparisons.

I don't know how George Lucas feels about this, but this is how I feel:

1dc4jvi.jpg

Just gonna sit here and wait for my lightsabers now. And AT-ATs. And the Samuel L(otus). Jackson voice pack. And Yoda. Definitely Yoda.

DE is actually pretty straight up about its influences like, the scorpions, for example. However, I wouldn't say that DE is straight up ripping on Star Wars, as Star Wars just assembled a bunch of action adventure and space opera tropes together. However the title of your post did say space opera and not Star Wars, so in that case you may have a point. Wait, nope. Totally says Star Wars, and I don't entirely agree, though where it is true it has me thinking.

I personally have a love/hate relationship with space opera, romantic fiction (not romance as in romantic relationships, but as in poetic justice and narrative symmetry trumping reality) and action adventure. On one hand I grew up on it, on the other, I have learned how distorted it is from reality, and how little we think on the true grandeur of reality and the impossible magnitude of the very real cosmos we live in. I feel that there can and should be stories that can be just as potent and exciting without resorting to the lazy formula of trope ridden genres.

Warframe was attractive to me because its art style was so evocative of post-human themes and ideas, that I can't stop looking. On many levels a post-human could seem like a super being, similar to are comic book and movie creations, but they should still exist in a reality that reflects, well reality. Even when the laws of nature are violated it should be a supplemental effect and not a dismissal of reality. 

For example: H.P. Lovecraft wrote a story in the 1930's called the Colour out of Space. A meteorite crashes in a rural farms land in New England some where around 1910-20. People think little of it except for the strange meteor material that is round and spherical. It doesn't behave like any thing know to Earth. It even radiates a strange colour that cannot be describes and doesn't seem to fit on the color spectrum. The meteorites eventually shrink and disappear without a trace. Month later, after everyone has moved on, the nearest farmstead gets a massive and bountiful harvest. At first the family is excited to see the massive foods that have grown, but when they taste the food it is tainted and bad. A depression comes over the family matched by the growing desolation of the farmland spreading from the impact crater. The more desolate, and warped the vegetation becomes, the more deranged the family becomes, and as the animal being to get sick and deformed and die, so too does the family until a neighbor visits and finds the family in such a state that he goes for help. As they arrive, the family already dead, they see the strange colour that collecting around the well, moving as a swirl of could and phantasmagoric orbs. The well glows violently until it explodes into the sky. As the men watch the sky, the neighbor glances down just in time to see some of the colour remained and descend back into the well. Not long after the entire region is marked to be flooded by a new water damn project. Those who new the stories would be glad to see the cursed land, that never grew normal again, be submerged. However, the neighbor remembered, and feared the day that the colour would grow from that well, and reach out across the new water ways and seek its nourishment before returning to the stars again. He new this, and he new this alone.

Now the reason I use this example is, because the colour is a subtle example of violating nature, but to good effect. In this case to create a unnerving sense of horror. The very nature of the colour is impossible. It breaks the mind to see something so unnatural and violates are sense of order. That it is alive and exist as a being on such a order of life displaces us as masters of the earth, and its predatory and vampiric nature makes us feel like vulnerable prey. 

I am not saying that this is how or what Warframe is or should be, specifically, but that thematically and narratively it could benefit from this largely. 

For one, it would set Warframe further apart from the rehash of basic game and fiction plots rife with the same lazy tropes.

Two, it would be actually be better story telling. Warframe already flirts with great potential. The Tenno and Warframes could exist as very different kinds of humans, post or transhumance that transcend are current and common existence. It is set in a future with potentially a great passage of time, where different post humans factions compete, and the supposedly normal humans, have been in the far background.

Three, I think that the very good action adventure elements that are used would be more fascinating when re-invisioned in the thematic manner I described above.

So, I am willing to turn a blind eye when DE decides to add the totally cool space mecha-anime inspired Archwing into the game, if it would make the bold decision to break from the tired old romantic tropes. And for the record, not all romantic tropes are unjustified. The Balor Famorion, using its Eye of Soran-Death Ray vision to fry you makes sense, if the Grineer are obsessed with the Irish mythology and base their designs that way. Life often imitates art. I'll even except the Solar Rails, although I don't think it has ever been said that they violate the speed of light. And I will ignore, sound in space, and artificial gravity, along with a few other common violations. As long as some real ballsy thematic leaps are made to break away from being another Star Wars/Star Trek/Dune/LordoftheRings/Whatever Clone. For the record, Halo, Mass Effect, and probably every other game out there you love are guilty.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

I personally have a love/hate relationship with space opera, romantic fiction (not romance as in romantic relationships, but as in poetic justice and narrative symmetry trumping reality) and action adventure. On one hand I grew up on it, on the other, I have learned how distorted it is from reality, and how little we think on the true grandeur of reality and the impossible magnitude of the very real cosmos we live in. I feel that there can and should be stories that can be just as potent and exciting without resorting to the lazy formula of trope ridden genres.

Warframe was attractive to me because its art style was so evocative of post-human themes and ideas, that I can't stop looking. On many levels a post-human could seem like a super being, similar to are comic book and movie creations, but they should still exist in a reality that reflects, well reality. Even when the laws of nature are violated it should be a supplemental effect and not a dismissal of reality. 

For example: H.P. Lovecraft wrote a story in the 1930's called the Colour out of Space. A meteorite crashes in a rural farms land in New England some where around 1910-20. People think little of it except for the strange meteor material that is round and spherical. It doesn't behave like any thing know to Earth. It even radiates a strange colour that cannot be describes and doesn't seem to fit on the color spectrum. The meteorites eventually shrink and disappear without a trace. Month later, after everyone has moved on, the nearest farmstead gets a massive and bountiful harvest. At first the family is excited to see the massive foods that have grown, but when they taste the food it is tainted and bad. A depression comes over the family matched by the growing desolation of the farmland spreading from the impact crater. The more desolate, and warped the vegetation becomes, the more deranged the family becomes, and as the animal being to get sick and deformed and die, so too does the family until a neighbor visits and finds the family in such a state that he goes for help. As they arrive, the family already dead, they see the strange colour that collecting around the well, moving as a swirl of could and phantasmagoric orbs. The well glows violently until it explodes into the sky. As the men watch the sky, the neighbor glances down just in time to see some of the colour remained and descend back into the well. Not long after the entire region is marked to be flooded by a new water damn project. Those who new the stories would be glad to see the cursed land, that never grew normal again, be submerged. However, the neighbor remembered, and feared the day that the colour would grow from that well, and reach out across the new water ways and seek its nourishment before returning to the stars again. He new this, and he new this alone.

Now the reason I use this example is, because the colour is a subtle example of violating nature, but to good effect. In this case to create a unnerving sense of horror. The very nature of the colour is impossible. It breaks the mind to see something so unnatural and violates are sense of order. That it is alive and exist as a being on such a order of life displaces us as masters of the earth, and its predatory and vampiric nature makes us feel like vulnerable prey. 

I am not saying that this is how or what Warframe is or should be, specifically, but that thematically and narratively it could benefit from this largely. 

For one, it would set Warframe further apart from the rehash of basic game and fiction plots rife with the same lazy tropes.

Two, it would be actually be better story telling. Warframe already flirts with great potential. The Tenno and Warframes could exist as very different kinds of humans, post or transhumance that transcend are current and common existence. It is set in a future with potentially a great passage of time, where different post humans factions compete, and the supposedly normal humans, have been in the far background.

Three, I think that the very good action adventure elements that are used would be more fascinating when re-invisioned in the thematic manner I described above.

So, I am willing to turn a blind eye when DE decides to add the totally cool space mecha-anime inspired Archwing into the game, if it would make the bold decision to break from the tired old romantic tropes. And for the record, not all romantic tropes are unjustified. The Balor Famorion, using its Eye of Soran-Death Ray vision to fry you makes sense, if the Grineer are obsessed with the Irish mythology and base their designs that way. Life often imitates art. I'll even except the Solar Rails, although I don't think it has ever been said that they violate the speed of light. And I will ignore, sound in space, and artificial gravity, along with a few other common violations. As long as some real ballsy thematic leaps are made to break away from being another Star Wars/Star Trek/Dune/LordoftheRings/Whatever Clone. For the record, Halo, Mass Effect, and probably every other game out there you love are guilty.

tl;dr cosmic horror

tl;dr cosmic horror

The long laugh I appreciate, but just saying cosmic horror doesn't exactly encapsulate what I was getting at. I use cosmic horror as an example of genre bending and how to avoid tropes, and cliches. I am not suggesting that DE make Warframe a strictly cosmic horror theme. Even if a good dose of it would be awesome, in my opinion. Not that I am suggesting you are saying that that is what I was saying. No?

FYI for anyone that is interested the Colour Out of Space can be found free online, and for those you don't read good, a great film adaptation called Die Farbe was made. A little different, but still very true to the source material and one of the better HPL films ever made.

The long laugh I appreciate, but just saying cosmic horror doesn't exactly encapsulate what I was getting at. I use cosmic horror as an example of genre bending and how to avoid tropes, and cliches. I am not suggesting that DE make Warframe a strictly cosmic horror theme. Even if a good dose of it would be awesome, in my opinion. Not that I am suggesting you are saying that that is what I was saying. No?

Oh no, I'm not suggesting that. I just thoroughly enjoyed your Lovecraft reference and thought I'd throw that out there. I don't think Warframe would do well as straight-up cosmic horror, considering in that framework we'd probably be the eldritch monstrosities from beyond reality. I definitely agree with you on the attraction of Warframe, and the problems with making it a space opera.

If I had to name a single work of fiction that I think we should try to borrow a little bit of atmosphere/feel/whatever from, I'd say 40k. We could do with a little of that, whatever the hell it is.

Oh no, I'm not suggesting that. I just thoroughly enjoyed your Lovecraft reference and thought I'd throw that out there. I don't think Warframe would do well as straight-up cosmic horror, considering in that framework we'd probably be the eldritch monstrosities from beyond reality. I definitely agree with you on the attraction of Warframe, and the problems with making it a space opera.

If I had to name a single work of fiction that I think we should try to borrow a little bit of atmosphere/feel/whatever from, I'd say 40k. We could do with a little of that, whatever the hell it is.

Cool, cool. I don't know too much about WH40K, but it certainly is pretty. Interesting fact, one of the factions in WH40K has a statue of the, "Mad Arab" at their school/temple/whatever. I think their is a host of other nods to Lovecraft as well.

I feel like a thread jacker... Um something Star Wars... OP

Cool, cool. I don't know too much about WH40K, but it certainly is pretty. Interesting fact, one of the factions in WH40K has a statue of the, "Mad Arab" at their school/temple/whatever. I think their is a host of other nods to Lovecraft as well.

I feel like a thread jacker... Um something Star Wars... OP

Pretty much anything related to their Warp is a Lovecraft reference. I was more aiming at that sort of gothic schizo-tech feel, which I think would mesh really well with Warframe's setting.

We're talking about the tone of the game, so this is technically on topic...right? Right?

I was thinking about, Dark Sector, and things the Devs have said on the devstreams. And when you mentioned the Eldrich Dark and how the Tenno would likely be the monstrosities. I would not entirely disagree with that statement, but some clues point to those themes and elements being at least partially true. 

In Dark Sector the Hayden battled an infected monster named stalker, not to be confused with are current Warframe chum. This monster was described by the supporting character (I forgot his name, Russian ex-GRU, spy) described it as very old. He said it in that way that makes you think old as in time immemorial, not Golden Girls. 

The Devs have, or at least used to let slip things here and their that parts of the origin of the Tenno and or the Orokin could be really old. It was ambiguous, but one got the impression they where talking about pre Orokin era, possibly then predating history. As if the Orokin had existed prehistory, and returned, only to collapse again?

Of course this is confused by the state of cannon in Warframe. DE has gone back and forth over wether Dark Sector is part of canon. The last word came from a forum post by DEMegan or DERebecca responding to question after the release of the Proto-Armor Excalibur skin. Saying, to some effect that it was official, that DS was cannon in Warframe. However, it isn't clear how the two fit, other then it is clear they weren't originally meant too. So, without RETCON, or some very clever writing, a seamless cohesion seems unlikely, and therefore DS remains ambiguously attached to Warframe.

But, I digress. If we assume DS is canon, then there is some possibility of some HPL cosmic horror themes rippling into Warframe. Something that I think could function with the Post-human qualities that DE has only really begun to hint at.

Anyways, it is fun to speculate, but that is all it is. For now. Soon™

I was thinking about, Dark Sector, and things the Devs have said on the devstreams. And when you mentioned the Eldrich Dark and how the Tenno would likely be the monstrosities. I would not entirely disagree with that statement, but some clues point to those themes and elements being at least partially true. 

In Dark Sector the Hayden battled an infected monster named stalker, not to be confused with are current Warframe chum. This monster was described by the supporting character (I forgot his name, Russian ex-GRU, spy) described it as very old. He said it in that way that makes you think old as in time immemorial, not Golden Girls. 

The Devs have, or at least used to let slip things here and their that parts of the origin of the Tenno and or the Orokin could be really old. It was ambiguous, but one got the impression they where talking about pre Orokin era, possibly then predating history. As if the Orokin had existed prehistory, and returned, only to collapse again?

Of course this is confused by the state of cannon in Warframe. DE has gone back and forth over wether Dark Sector is part of cannon. The last word came from a forum post by DEMegan or DERebecca responding to question after the release of the Proto-Armor Excalibur skin. Saying, to some effect that it was official, that DS was cannon in Warframe. However, it isn't clear how the two fit, other then it is clear they weren't originally meant too. So, without RETCON, or some very clever writing, a seamless cohesion seems unlikely, and therefore DS remains ambiguously attached to Warframe.

But, I digress. If we assume DS is cannon, then there is some possibility of some HPL cosmic horror themes rippling into Warframe. Something that I think could function with the Post-human qualities that DE has only really begun to hint at.

Anyways, it is fun to speculate, but that is all it is. For now. Soon™

Do you mean cannon or canon?