Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Typing Immunity

UnderFiend

pretty sure this is going to be exploited. Basically people just pressing the chat-button because they don't want to get damaged even though they have nothing to say.

It would be pretty hard to implement just because people will use it for a different purpose. An immunity timer or something alone would not help.

then it would be abused and just before people die they would open chat and bam no damage taken and you would get shields and maybe health back in a short time frame, its the risk you take, typing when enermies are around and you die or find a safe spot where they cant shoot you or get to you

I see players opening their chat window and going AFK this way. (not that they don't have more creative ways of doing so already)

Honestly I don't see much reason for this. I was never killed while typing, since I'm aware of the 2 solutions:

1. Don't type when you're getting mobbed (or pop an ult right before).

2. Type faster (or use "txt msg spk").

Don't type when you have a lot of enemies near you?

then it would be abused and just before people die they would open chat and bam no damage taken and you would get shields and maybe health back in a short time frame, its the risk you take, typing when enermies are around and you die or find a safe spot where they cant shoot you or get to you

This

It is not hard to prevent exploitation. Aura takes 15 seconds to go into effect.  It is cancelled if you take damage within that 15 seconds. When it is active you cannot heal or regen shields.  It ends automatically after a total of 2 minutes (from activation). It ends automatically after 10 seconds of you being the only surviving member of your squad.

Was that so hard?

i usually get around the issue by writing shorter sentences and cancelling the Chat box if i get into a tight spot.

shorter more to the point sentences to let me continue moving or adjusting location so i can continue to Chat while playing - works pretty well, i can hold quite a few Conversations while playing, without taking too much unnecessary Damage.

and if you press Escape to close the Chat box - it'll keep what you wrote in there, so when you're free again, open it back up and finish writing whatever it was.

this feature alone can save you quite a bit of time.

(Edit: and i imagine it's become fairly obvious how touchy a feature like this would be, and that any feature like this is going to be really hard to make reasonable without harming the game).

-snip-

that doesn't benefit someone particularly well under normal typing circumstances. and benefits exploiting quite well. i can even see entire squads going AFK for two minutes. because those limits make it easier to exploit it than it does to use it for it's intention.

Voicechat n game is kinda horrible

integrated VOIP solutions always have lowest possible data and processing footprint as a #1 goal.

meaning lowest quality Codecs and sample settings are always the case. 

it's just a fact of life. until the Internet gets almost free and even toasters can get perfect framerates in games, VOIP codecs will have immense throttling.

this is why external VOIP solutions exist. they don't need to worry about the things integrated ones do, so Codec quality can be much better.

Edited by taiiat

It is not hard to prevent exploitation. Aura takes 15 seconds to go into effect.  It is cancelled if you take damage within that 15 seconds. When it is active you cannot heal or regen shields.  It ends automatically after a total of 2 minutes (from activation). It ends automatically after 10 seconds of you being the only surviving member of your squad.

Was that so hard?

If it takes fifteen seconds to start working and is cancelled if you get hit during those fifteen seconds, it may as well not exist. Firstly because an enemy IS going to find and shoot you within those fifteen seconds, and secondly because who the hell spends fifteen seconds straight typing during a mission? Seriously. What are you saying that takes between fifteen seconds and two minutes to type out?

If it takes fifteen seconds to start working and is cancelled if you get hit during those fifteen seconds, it may as well not exist. Firstly because an enemy IS going to find and shoot you within those fifteen seconds, and secondly because who the hell spends fifteen seconds straight typing during a mission? Seriously. What are you saying that takes between fifteen seconds and two minutes to type out?

The idea, is that you find a safe spot and start typing. If you get screwed by random spawns, you don't have to abandon your message, but you also can't pop it out just to exploit the immunity.

@(PS4)DesecratedFlame
Your idea is still completely exploitative against enemies like Stalker or Harvester.
Because stalker would spend 2 minutes attacking the target who is invincible to all damage while his team-mates completely destroys it without worrying about being killed.

@(PS4)DesecratedFlame

Your idea is still completely exploitative against enemies like Stalker or Harvester.

Because stalker would spend 2 minutes attacking the target who is invincible to all damage while his team-mates completely destroys it without worrying about being killed.

Let them dispel it.  Also you can already cheese the stalker while in a group by just abusing parry while in melee mode.

Was that so hard?

I think you should take a step back and think about the idea. Forget typing for a second - totally take it out of the equasion.

Imagine if we gave all warframes a 0 energy cost ability that takes 15 seconds to set up...and makes them 100% invincible for 2 minutes (and out of play).

That is exactly what you are suggesting here.

can you imagine how hard AFKers and trolls would abuse their teammates with that ability? Forget exploits that help you 'get ahead' on the AI. The real issue is that you now have a legitimized AFK function, exacerbating an already big problem in the community.

Edited by notionphil

bad idea sorry, i get killed while typing all the time , but lets face it WHO is gonna type when tons of enemies (( other then me offc xD)) its a bad idea

i think its safe to say that this idea will never happen

Edited by NickBoay

Guest Tehnoobshow

There is only two ways something like this can work out:

1. It's exploitable, and people exploit it.

2. It's completely worthless and might as well not exist.

Ah, so just like Desecrate then.