Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Looks Like We Have Another King Of Melee

Twilight053

You're most definitely confrontational.

As I said, relax.

I can sit here and tell you right now that I'm perfectly calm and relaxed, though I doubt you'd believe me. Abrasiveness is pretty much built into my demeanor, I was raised by seven generations of military fatherhood. It happens. Like I said, I'm not out to hurt your feelings nor to insult you. Just making my points. Sorry if I come across as an @$$.

Edited by (XB1)kestral9999

This has degenerated into an argument over whether holding down the mouse button combo is better than a pause combo. If you're using decisive judgment(the better nikana stance) the mouse button combo may be easy to pull off but its bad. Way too slow. If you can pull off the pause combo its faster and better.

If you can pull off the pause combo its faster and better.

The trick to pulling off pause combos is to just hit the attack button slower and more methodically than you'd usually do. Don't try to pause on the right attack, pause after every attack until you see the combo beginning, then spam away.

Edited by Archistopheles

The trick to pulling off pause combos is to just hit the attack button slower and more methodically than you'd usually do. Don't try to pause on the right attack, pause after every attack until you see the combo beginning, then spam away.

If you can get this process down, any pause combo is just as easy to pull off as the "spam attack while holding block" combo. Well, maybe not as easy, but will acheive the same result if not better since some pause combos are much more powerful.

Edited by (XB1)kestral9999

Summary: Dragon Nikana is better if you are bad at using melee combos while Scindo Prime will be better if you can pull them off.

You don't have to be "bad" just not to bother with combos.

Also, heavy weapons are pretty lousy at coptering - if that's your thing, that's something to consider.

You don't have to be "bad" just not to bother with combos.

Also, heavy weapons are pretty lousy at coptering - if that's your thing, that's something to consider.

If you can do the combos fine, why wouldn't you bother using them when they have better damage than not using them?

Dragon Nikana isn't good at coptering either so it's kinda irrelevant to this.

Summary: Dragon Nikana is better if you are bad at using melee combos while Scindo Prime will be better if you can pull them off.

Pause combos with slow weapons are extremely easier to do for me.

Blocks are annoying because i have toggle so it messes with the comboing a bit.

So the summary is that the combo key presses have nothing to do with the discussion.

Pause combos with slow weapons are extremely easier to do for me.

Blocks are annoying because i have toggle so it messes with the comboing a bit.

So the summary is that the combo key presses have nothing to do with the discussion.

I meant to summarize the "Scindo Prime is more powerful!" - "No! Combos are hard!" discussion.

How a topic can turn in a cockfight...

I suppose that the autor should add more specific point to compare, personnaly I think that thing how got to be seen to compare 2 weapon:

Base damage+crit multiplier : (a bit like the author have done)

Weapon speed (quick melee)

Weapon Range (quick melee)

Stance possible combo + damage multiplier + covered area by combo main attack

Stance speed (The past line should be multiplied by a "stance speed" how can be calculate by the number of time you can repeat the combo in 1 minute for example)

! Time waste by finisher animation (something thinking and better with whip or staff than orthos/sword/dual sword for example)

! Zorencopter ability

! Slide damage + range (one of the most used attack by people how know how hurt ennemies and something how really differ from one weapon to another)

The three last line are more for people interested in a way to play melee, that type of aspect are not important for every one but in my case for example, a weapon without zorencopter will don't stay a lot of time in my hands.

Here we got a dead in the egg debat, only 3 weapon compared, only base damage as initial state, everyone adding his way to compare weapon...

Conclusion for the cockfight : Atterax master race§§§ :p

Edited by ZeGreymane

I don't see how people fin using broken bull hard.

Then again I have a lot of experience with my Galatine so meh.

The problem with the scindo is that its copter is so slow. Other top tier melee weapons have similar dps, yet maintain a respectable copter speed.

Personally the Glaive prime is the best melee, throws hit for just over 100 base damage, and can be modded to slice clean through everything and then explode into a more powerful aoe.

What's more it is one of the best coptering weapons in the game.

You miss out on life strike, but gain lots of free aoe damage.

The best melee weapon largely depends on what frame you're using. Dual Heat swords with Accelerant on Ember is far more powerful combo than her using a non-heat weapon. A Dragon Nikana is much better for Hysteria on Valkyr than the Dual Ichors or Dakra Prime, I have yet to test the Galatine but I'm assuming the Galatine is the best weapon to boost Valkyr's Hysteria damage since base damage mods seem to do the most increase and the Galatine has a high base damage.

So far I have guns that do more damage than any of my melee weapons. The melee just doesn't cut it even with charged attacks and maxed out damage mods, the guns to me are just better. I use the melee to copter and move fast out of some situations. The bad news is that guns do run out of ammo while melee doesn't.

Edited by ivlr3vil

May I ask why OP stated slightly modded damage on scindo as "base" one?

IRC on my dragon nikana I've got 400 damage with literaly... 1-2 mods? similar as method mentioned to get "scindo prime base damage" OP stated.

if we are talking about BASE damage then lets take BASE damage without any mods etc. and maybe then lets compare which ones can improve it better

till now the best "raw" damage you could get with melee was by dakra prime - I can understand that broken bull with scindo prime can get better "raw damage on strike"

but does it make the weapon "king of the melee"?

no

why?

because "raw damage per strike" is not the only factor: there are others like atack speed, if you can pull that atack "at will" how easily you can pull it and as I hate to admit it - coptering ability also makes a factor here

although I don't think that atm we can speak about single "melee king" as we have 3 powerfull weapons with comparable usability but working in different way and matching other playstyles.

Yes, maybe this is more a case of Three Kings of Melee.

I certainly use my Dragon Nikana and Dual Ichors more than any other melee weapon. Almost exclusively. It's because they're the best.

If I wander across a Scindo Prime, then that might get added to the list. (My standard Scindo sure as hades isn't on the list though!)

This has degenerated into an argument over whether holding down the mouse button combo is better than a pause combo. If you're using decisive judgment(the better nikana stance) the mouse button combo may be easy to pull off but its bad. Way too slow. If you can pull off the pause combo its faster and better.

>Decisive Judgement

>The better stance

Sure thing.

Anyway, the Scindo Prime's theoretical DPS is huge, but only if every hit of Broken Bull connects with enemies.  Not to mention the combo has pretty much zero mobility.  This isn't like Tranquil Cleave's Hook and Eye which can send you a fair distance to your next enemy if one of them dies.  Also, unless your timing is good and you can stop exactly on the seventh spin, you're going to stagger and that will slow down your DPS.  The Dragon Nikana has no such limitation.

Both weapons are competitive with one another.