Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arcane Helmets And Their Problem

Jeetza

THE PROBLEM:

So, I'm going to start by stating the problem with Arcane Helmet in their current state. They offer stats that are only accessible behind paywalls (trading) and they are VERY useful for some warframes. Also, this forces players to use these helmets because of the stats attached to them, which was the reason they were removed in the first place. Also, this makes new Warframes have less options since they don't have arcane helmets.

THE SOLUTION:

My solution to this is to remove the stats from the old arcane helmets and add in a new item that adds those same stats, but is non-visual. My idea for this item is "Upgrade Chips". These could be purchased from the Market, or gotten from alerts and would be labeled like this "Pendragon Upgrade Chip" or "Vespa Upgrade Chip". Also, this would allow the opportunity to add these Upgrade Chips for newer warframes without Arcane Helmets.

What about people who have the old Arcane Helmets?

Well, these people would have their old helmet converted into the stat-less versions, and they would get their respective upgrade chip for free. This way, they lose nothing, they still have the look of the helmet, and the stats it gave.

BTW, I'm not making this thread because I want the arcane helmet's stats, but don't want to pay plat. I own a decent amount of Arcane Helmets myself and have thought about my proposed changes for a long time before posting.

TLDR: You need to read the whole thing in order to get the gist of what I'm saying. Also, it really isn't too long.

Edited by Jeetza

the reason they made Arcane helmets was to keep the people who had them happy. 

the simple fact is, Cosmetics should never have stats, But DE didnt want to screw the players that did have them, so they made them into arcane helmets and made them trade able and put non stat ones in.

Having one dosnt make you a better player, hek alot of them nerf your frame but look cool. So if you really want one, you have to be willing to pay a price or be happy if the player that has it dosnt want it. Not everything is supposed to be fair. 

Edited by Senketsu_

the reason they made Arcane helmets was to keep the people who had them happy. 

Well, these people would have their old helmet converted into the stat-less versions, and they would get their respective upgrade chip for free. This way, they lose nothing, they still have the look of the helmet, and the stats it gave. So, they would still have their arcane helmet, just in a different way.

For the sake of balance and purity of design, I would gladly sacrifice my Arcane helmets, and I don't just have one or two.

However, because it is unlikely that they will change and DE probably simply wants them to remain buried, I think we should just stop worrying about it. The changes aren't game-altering, so it's really more trouble than it's worth to fuss over it.

I agree with your idéa Jeetza, I may own all of the arcane helmets myself, but I wouldn't mind to have them all lose their edge for a solution like this one.

Or that they remove the arcane helmets when the Focus system comes along if the focus system is capable of replacing them that is.

The changes aren't game-altering, so it's really more trouble than it's worth to fuss over it.

The changes are in fact altering the game, it may not always be a huge change, but for some frames, it adds an extra 2-6 meters of range or 2 extra seconds, lessens required mod capacity by 1-2 etc. Arcane helmets allows players that have them to change how they play, and in some cases the stats are just good enough to even replace a mod that the player would otherwise have to consider bringing with them, and with how limited the mod slots are, it's like those players got another, unique, mod slot.

When minmaxing and going for leaderboards on events and such, even having a slight edge may just be all the players need to get ahead.

My Opinion: If you don't like how ugly a helmet is don't use it.

Imagine if limited edition comics(or whatever people collect) started being made again, every who does have them is screwed. Arcane helmets are comparable to comics.

If arcane helmets were removed players with them would have to be compensated much more than what you suggested; they should still feel that they have something exclusive, and players will always want exclusive items(whatever he has I want it).

You can't satisfy both parties.

DE's Opinion: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/224988-stat-helmet-blueprint-changes/? Read it.

Edit: kinda has the search highlights.

Edited by ScorpioEric

Guest Tehnoobshow

The whole point of Arcane Helmets was to slowly remove statted helmets from the game as older players quit. They could have removed stats from all helmets, but they were afraid of people whining on the forums so they instead made them limited edition so older players can keep their helmets. Ironically, there probably would have been less whining (like this thread) if they had just removed stats outright.

my god

with all the qq'n all over the forums, if i was DE i'd just take them out of the game completely and be done with it

how could anyone think it would be balanced to let any new frame just whatever 'arcane chip' they wanted in any frame? sure boom, now i can have an extra unslotted 15% efficiency or 25% movspd on anyone, srsly?

the power-creep fanatics are so obsessed it is truly disturbing

arcanes have been grandfathered in, there will be no more, DEAL WITH IT, trade for them if u want, or dont, use them if u want, OR DONT 

NO ONE IS BEING FORCED INTO DOING ANYTHING, and saying otherwise is either lying or complete ignorance

/sigh

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

When minmaxing and going for leaderboards on events and such, even having a slight edge may just be all the players need to get ahead.

I doubt very much that players with Arcane Helmets are more likely to win simply because of that, rather than because of lack of sleep (i.e. vast amounts of time and a willingness to use it to play Warframe), since most events are about repetition and grind than, say, a time trial or some effectiveness gauge.  Of course I do not have the statistics to back that up, but then neither do you, so it has no place in this discussion, really.

Of course the Arcane Helmets change the game, but I merely used the term "game-changing" because it is a shorter way of describing something which causes a great change to the way the game is played, but not something which has been used time and time again (e.g. another damage mod).

And in the end, an Arcane Helmet really only adds overkill. In a perfectly-modded and perfectly-forma'd Warframe, whether you can one-shot an enemy with 10000 effective health or 10500 effective health is negligible. In other words, you can remove challenge from the game quite easily without the Arcane Helmet, so why does it really matter whether you have it?

THE PROBLEM:

So, I'm going to start by stating the problem with Arcane Helmet in their current state. They offer stats that are only accessible behind paywalls (trading) and they are VERY useful for some warframes. Also, this forces players to use these helmets because of the stats attached to them, which was the reason they were removed in the first place. Also, this makes new Warframes have less options since they don't have arcane helmets.

THE SOLUTION:

My solution to this is to remove the stats from the old arcane helmets and add in a new item that adds those same stats, but is non-visual. My idea for this item is "Upgrade Chips". These could be purchased from the Market, or gotten from alerts and would be labeled like this "Pendragon Upgrade Chip" or "Vespa Upgrade Chip". Also, this would allow the opportunity to add these Upgrade Chips for newer warframes without Arcane Helmets.

Well, these people would have their old helmet converted into the stat-less versions, and they would get their respective upgrade chip for free. This way, they lose nothing, they still have the look of the helmet, and the stats it gave.

BTW, I'm not making this thread because I want the arcane helmet's stats, but don't want to pay plat. I own a decent amount of Arcane Helmets myself and have thought about my proposed changes for a long time before posting.

TLDR: You need to read the whole thing in order to get the gist of what I'm saying. Also, it really isn't too long.

You are asking for special slot in a warframe. We could as well just have an 11th mod slot. I don't see the benefit. DE should just remove the stats entirely, but it's too late now.

I would wait another year before selling one, because there will be less available anymore, thus I expect skyrocking prices soon or added game mechanics that makes them obsolete.

You have my support. I would enjoy seeing this, and while some people keep mentioning that cosmetics should never have had stats, this would be a way to fix that. You would only be able to have one upgrade chip installed at at time, however, this would allow you to not need the helmet to have the stats, thus removing the stats from the cosmetic item, as you have stated. And for the people that did have the Arcane Helmets, they would, as you said, receive the equivalent upgrade chip and get to keep the regular version of the helm.

My only question is, would you receive the negative stats, as well? From what I understand, the term upgrade refers to making something better, but says nothing about making it worse. So, in theory,  the negative stats should be removed, yes? Even if what you're thinking is that they should stay, I support this thread 100%.

You have my support. I would enjoy seeing this, and while some people keep mentioning that cosmetics should never have had stats, this would be a way to fix that. You would only be able to have one upgrade chip installed at at time, however, this would allow you to not need the helmet to have the stats, thus removing the stats from the cosmetic item, as you have stated. And for the people that did have the Arcane Helmets, they would, as you said, receive the equivalent upgrade chip and get to keep the regular version of the helm.

My only question is, would you receive the negative stats, as well? From what I understand, the term upgrade refers to making something better, but says nothing about making it worse. So, in theory,  the negative stats should be removed, yes? Even if what you're thinking is that they should stay, I support this thread 100%.

I was thinking the negative stats stayed, but DE can do their own twist on that, depending on what they want to do. Also, the name Upgrade Chip is just sort of a placeholder name I thought of that gives people an idea of what I mean by a separate item.

my god

with all the qq'n all over the forums, if i was DE i'd just take them out of the game completely and be done with it

how could anyone think it would be balanced to let any new frame just whatever 'arcane chip' they wanted in any frame? sure boom, now i can have an extra unslotted 15% efficiency or 25% movspd on anyone, srsly?

the power-creep fanatics are so obsessed it is truly disturbing

arcanes have been grandfathered in, there will be no more, DEAL WITH IT, trade for them if u want, or dont, use them if u want, OR DONT 

NO ONE IS BEING FORCED INTO DOING ANYTHING, and saying otherwise is either lying or complete ignorance

/sigh

I think you misunderstood...

The chips would still be attached to their respective frames, just like the helmets. We could just put them on the frames while using OTHER cosmetic helmets. At least that's how I understand OP's suggestion. There would be NO CHANGE whastoever to which frame gets which stats, it would just allow players with the "arcane" chips to use STATLESS helmets they find more appealing. What's wrong with that?^^'

Also, I find the last sentence of your post particularly ironic... "NO ONE IS BEING FORCED INTO DOING ANYTHING", yet just above I read "DEAL WITH IT"... Double standard much?^^'

Edited by Marthrym