Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Open World

Suuns

Greetings Tenno,

I've been thinking a lot about this topic lately and think that open world would greatly benefit this game. I'm not talking about typical open world about exploration and ppl jumping in main cities riding mounts etc etc like in other MMOs, imagine any observable planet that you can visit, you could walk around huge map and have the opportunity to select mission type while already being on planet, have area where you can land your ship then get out of it and free roam full with enemies and animals on it, then you stumble upon an area, a certain place which is either extermination mission or defence or any other type, I know it can't happen soon or even ever but lately I saw "No Man's Sky" gameplay and mechanics and I think that all games are going to next gen sooner or later and games like this will unfortunately be sinked so implementing new features like this rather then making Warframe 2 is better solution I think. How about you?

P.S.

I know that the game mentioned above is completely different but I saw its features like complete free roaming in endless galaxy and its the next word in gaming to my mind. So I think Huge changes has to be done soon to compete with next gen MMOs. BTW Warframe devs good job on winning over Destiny - a Warframe Wannabe. 

Keep up the good work!

Open world is too much for a small studio like this.

As I said, even Bathesda, well known for their open worlds, can only do so to a certain scale.

This game isn't competing with next gen MMO's. It's not an MMO. It's a co-op TPS.

Level design all currently revolves around the use of randomly generated tile sets. Open world doesn't really enter the equation because the missions themselves are us infiltrating these locations. They are already quite large in certain places, but an open world wouldn't be as feasible in any sense. It already takes plenty of horsepower to render enemies and levels for those moments you are in-mission. 

It's a nice idea, but now we have our own little ships to stay stealthy in before infiltrating enemy territory.

I do think Warframe needs to compete with next gen MMOs on some level. It needs to have this safe boundary for casual as well as hardcore players. It needs to give hardcore players more reasons to stay along and new player more reasons to continue, however they are getting all of this sorted it seems. The only thing I want to nag them about is player made content, we can make 75% of the game for them! ^^

hubs coming in U15

They might not quite be 15.0...but 15.5 for sure!!! (lol)

But yea...hubs will feature a lot of things that will make us feel more attached to the World of Warframe (hah). I could imagine that at some point in the future a kind of Vindictus approach could be made (the games are really similar).

With some update a while back there they added multi-mission regions. So you wouldnt go to a place for just 1 thing and leave but have bigger regions that feature multiple things to do.

That's about as far as I can see this game go...after all it is still a player hosted co-op game...and not an mmo.

Edited by Shehriazad

Open world is too much for a small studio like this.

I've seen huge studios like Arena net (Guild Wars 2) and what they do? nothing no new content no new race, class, (new warframes) no new weapons and weapon types, all they do is dumb skins and weekly updates of living world which is also a garbage, but they managed to have huge community and dedicated players who have dumped 2k+$ via item shop which also only offers you skins and haircuts, the game is full of bugs and if you visit forums you can only see complaints. So if they managed, so can Warframe DEVs who offer us many interesting and new things in short time, respectively polished and ready to use.

Greetings Tenno,

I've been thinking a lot about this topic lately and think that open world would greatly benefit this game. I'm not talking about typical open world about exploration and ppl jumping in main cities riding mounts etc etc like in other MMOs, imagine any observable planet that you can visit, you could walk around huge map and have the opportunity to select mission type while already being on planet, have area where you can land your ship then get out of it and free roam full with enemies and animals on it, then you stumble upon an area, a certain place which is either extermination mission or defence or any other type, I know it can't happen soon or even ever but lately I saw "No Man's Sky" gameplay and mechanics and I think that all games are going to next gen sooner or later and games like this will unfortunately be sinked so implementing new features like this rather then making Warframe 2 is better solution I think. How about you?

P.S.

I know that the game mentioned above is completely different but I saw its features like complete free roaming in endless galaxy and its the next word in gaming to my mind. So I think Huge changes has to be done soon to compete with next gen MMOs. BTW Warframe devs good job on winning over Destiny - a Warframe Wannabe. 

Keep up the good work!

You mean like Skyrim but with all the aspects of Warframe in it?

DE could get close to an "open world" setting with the current tilesets if they line up those tiles just right such that they form a big loop or interconnected web, as opposed to just a single trunk with a few dead end branches.  Not entirely sure how practical that would be though.

Edited by Littleman88

Probably would be better to just establish a Warframe 2 game, but call it Warframe Universe or something.  Let us travel by ship anywhere, manually, and let us hop off to do whatever.  Sounds like they would have to start from scratch, and with a superior engine, it would not take them too long to do this.

Well... maybe not from scratch, but they would have to start over even if importing things like warframe models and such.

Edited by VampirePirate

open world would not only be a total revamp from the current corridor strolling warframe is; it would be rather difficult to properly optimize- something DE seems to focus on a lot in their development process.  DE would also need to revamp the spawning system with an open world simply due to there not being tile based corridors and not nearly as many corners to hide behind while popping into existence- greatly impacting any sense of immersion you might have with vacant battlefields or enemies popping in.  I suppose if DE did create open maps, drop ships would be a suitable method of deploying troops in large areas.

You mean like Skyrim but with all the aspects of Warframe in it?

without 1st person and "but then I took Dread to the knee" npc-s :P

FTFY

and I belive Hubs will be..... well.... they must NOT be P2P thats for sure, I guess each planet will have one, and since Lotus tells us when we fight Ruk that he is a threat for Our Exposed Colony. I want to SEE that colony. But I wonder if each Hub will have a player limit, I want to meet Yuikami "face" to "face" and shake her hand.

Edited by Kao-Snake

hubs coming in U15

They might not quite be 15.0...but 15.5 for sure!!! (lol)

But yea...hubs will feature a lot of things that will make us feel more attached to the World of Warframe (hah). I could imagine that at some point in the future a kind of Vindictus approach could be made (the games are really similar).

With some update a while back there they added multi-mission regions. So you wouldnt go to a place for just 1 thing and leave but have bigger regions that feature multiple things to do.

That's about as far as I can see this game go...after all it is still a player hosted co-op game...and not an mmo.

DE already confirmed them for 15

The architecture of Warframe is what is preventing any sort of open world from happening.

Warframe currently uses central servers for matchmaking but the missions themselves are hosted on player machines. To be fair this keeps costs down and allows DE to spend money on content rather than computers.

A simple first step would be to have a set of servers which acted like a traditional host. Although games would follow the current format of a mission which starts and ends and then returns players to their Liset, the power of the servers could allow for larger maps and more players. This in turn could give us more complicated missions with multiple overlapping objectives.

For example, in a two-group/8 player game: one group could disrupt anti-aircraft guns while another group steals a transport full of Red Veil and other pro-Tenno prisoners. If the gun group can't keep up with the reinforcements reactivating the guns along the flightpath then the transport will get shot down. If the transport group can't fend off the waves of hellions trying to recapture the transport then the mission also fails.

The problem with servers is that you have to have enough computers and bandwidth to make the peak player times feel smooth and responsive. However the rest of the time these things are sitting there, unused. A cloud like Amazon EC2 might be an option but the longer you run a large cluster, the less economy you get from it. At some point you would have been better off having your own servers.

True open world requires a complicated server architecture where servers dynamically host different zones and migrate those zone to different machines based on player load, or team up to share the hosting of an especially busy zone. It takes a lot of effort to design and build something like that. So much so that I can't imagine that such a thing would be offered for free.

I suppose the question is not whether "open world" is possible (because it is). The question should be how much you would be willing to pay - either as a one-time payment (like buying Guild Wars) or a recurring subscription (like WoW)?