Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Believe Building Hype Is A Bad Idea And Why Websites Teaser Should Be Removed.

slykidd

As we all know the arrival of the archwing  website means that U15 is will probably arrive either this week or the next. I believe that websites such as these should be removed. They do not benefit anyone and only two outcomes occur from them.

The update comes out on time but because of the hype built it disappoints and people attack the devs saying "this update sucks blah blah blah". The devs get frustrated with the community.

The update gets delayed because a game breaking bug is still in the game and DE has to delay it. People get angry the community mods have their work cut out closing threads and answering questions and asking people to be patient (update 13 anyone?). The devs read this and feel pressured to release an incomplete content as quickly as possible. with apologies (which i believe they should never have to do!).

Both of these outcomes can easily be avoided if hype is kept to a reasonable amount and people understand that these things take time. Its unhealthy for everyone because it creates pointless tension between the devs and the gamers. Honestly i believe we should get told about an update releasing the day before and not the week or two. theres just too much time for things to go wrong.

TL,DR; hype website like arching.com and general hype only hurt the devs and the community. nobody wins. kinda like war.

Edited by slykidd

I agree in part. If the devs are confident that they can deliver on what they promise, by all means, hype thrusters engage. If they are not confident they can deliver what they say they have when they want to, they should wait until they are to build the kind of hype we are seeing. 

I'm always excited for ANY content, so regardless of the hype train, my reaction is this:  OOOOH, NEW SHINY THINGS!  I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY ARE, BUT THEY'RE SHINY SO I DON'T CARE!

Seriously though, any new content makes me happy. They could add party hats instead of archwings for this update and I would get excited.

Like destiny, it was so hyped up that it went into ruins of shame. Yes is a nice fps game but overall it's not future gaming.

warframe IS the future of gaming!

but meh, dont poo on the hype train! it's fun ride! and if you're disappointed with the final result it's because of the physiological phenomenon surrounding it. hell, those who dream of the perfect woman never find one. when the brain looks for perfection it rejects all that it finds, even if it does find perfection, just because it likes to romanticize the idea of perfection.

as basho once said-

"even in kyoto,

hearing the cuckoo's cry

i long for kyoto."

Edited by VioDuskar

Exactly, it makes the room for error much smaller and if all hell breaks loose it is harder for them to say "alright guys, sorry for this but it will come next week" or something. Regardless of if date is given or not, hype is just generally bad..

However from dev point it is very very VERY enjoyable to see people get excited for things to come, it makes you feel like they are with you every step of the way so I can understand why they do it

The problem is not the hype train the problem is with idiots who get carried away with the hype and build it up to be something it isn't.

The hype sites do hype is a pro consumer way, all they do is tease stuff coming in the update they don't hype it they just show a snippet of something in game.

The problem is not the hype train the problem is with idiots who get carried away with the hype and build it up to be something it isn't.

The hype sites do hype is a pro consumer way, all they do is tease stuff coming in the update they don't hype it they just show a snippet of something in game.

but by "teasing" it, it just builds hype does it not? they know this is the end result and still they do it.

this is a stupid idea..

IF it gets delayed its for a good reason.. so stop your whining 

IF it comes out on time EXPECT bugs.. every game has bugs, and there aren't as many variables in the dev build as there are when they send it out and there are thousands of people playing it, the day anyone expects a game to release content and there not be a single bug, there stupid..

if you can name one game with no bugs on a content release that is free to play.. name away.. cause i bet you cant even find 3

and you could prolly say, "oh well league of legends doesn't have THIS many bugs" well league of legends releases a single aspect of the game at a time.. a single champion is like one warframe.. 

"Nobody is strapping you down, forcing your eyelids open, and making you look at the hypesite.

Just sayain."

-Brimir

Thats not the point. 

that is the answer though.. if you dont want to get all hyped about it.. then dont, nuff said. i WANT the hype site i like seeing all the new stuff and you cant handle it when it comes out late or has a bug then get over it

and how many people will listen to what you have just said?

dont care, there IS a hype site, and i AM hyped. nothing is going to change that and i shouldn't have to suffer because you cant handle the outcome!

Edited by Kurrumitsumi

The update comes out on time but because of the hype built it disappoints and people attack the devs saying "this update sucks blah blah blah". The devs get frustrated with the community.

I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be.

The loudest of the forum goers scream out all over the place.

The loudest of the forum goers are a vast minority.

The forum goers are a vast minority themselves.

I've never seen the devs get upset about people overreacting over new content.

i shouldn't have to suffer because you cant handle the outcome!

That goes both ways. Its not as simple as ignoring the hype site, as the hype is built to such ridiculous levels that is spills out everywhere. The flood of forum topics of naysayers and DE can do no wrong argueing and ignoring each other, the constant discussion in the game's chat, and in this case the new content seems to be on track to be released half finished to begin with.

Even without hype people will say that things suck.

Some people can not accept change and will ALWAYS complain no matter what.

Some people also expect absolutely stupid things...and then act all offended if they don't get those things. (Like: Ermagerd Nyx sucks, her chaos needs to deal 5000 damage on cast and give invulnerability while oneshotting every boss on the map...WTF YOU MEAN I CAN'T HAVE IT? DE DOESN'T KNOW BALANCE)

Hype sites have more positive than negative points...mainly they are a good way to get attention on the game again for people who took a break...so they know something worthy is coming.

Hype sites aren't really for the people that watch all the devstreams and already know what's going on...

Not to mention...if this update came without hype/info...a lot of people would be raging twice as hard. Imagine you log into the game and suddenly all your ability mods are gone...and no one told you about it beforehand. (Many people don't like to read patchnotes)

Edited by Shehriazad

When the community expects the moon on a stick from updates, it's not the fault of the hype sites when reality clashes with their expectations. Deleting the hype sites would not curtail this problem in the slightest because it exists explicitally because of the way DE try to keep the community in the loop about the future of the game via devstreams. DE let us know about new gameplay elements far in advance of them becoming a reality and every single time people expect them as soon as possible, never stopping to consider how much time and effort will actually be required to pull them off well.

Hype sites are not the problem. Consistantly ridiculous (and often just downright selfish) expectations are.

Edited by Tiqalicious