Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Clown Invasion.

Greygo

To be fair, Greygo didn't set the aesthetic standard ... DE did which began as clearly Guyveresque but has gradually drifted from representing legendary or mythological figures and "elementals" to "animalistics" to now "entertainers"

While there is clear pattern - Limbo (male/void/mage) partners with Mirage (female/light/illusionist) just as Hydroid (male/water/merman) partners with Zephyr (female/air/harpy) - you have to admit having a character sporting a stove pipe and a tuxedo looks incongruous along side one that bears the horns of a Norse god

Perhaps this is DE's way to pay homage to a wealth of Animae which adores anachronistic and thematically divergent cast of characters

Personally, I share Greygo's sentiment of just not getting the drift of the "drift"

As the VoidFrame which represents The Void itself - wherein all the mysteries of the Warframe universe exist - I had much higher expectations than a huxster in a dapper suit

I agree that Warframe seems to start out as Guyveresque kind of styles but, in my opinion, only some frames, and this is where personal perspective could be more apparent. I can see excal, nyx (non-prime), rhino, volt and possibly hydroid. To me, it has already started out with Loki, and then later Vauban and few other to be out of nowhere. I don't see Limbo is anywhere more than those either. Others may even disagree altogether to either of us. And this is where we are differ in perspectives because they are more apparent. Greygo thinks it's a clown. You think it's some huxster. I don't see it. And plenty others may not even see any of this... So there goes "drift of the 'drift'" point of view. 

Warframe is really Warframe. DE hasn't provided us what kind of standards or restrictions for these frames. Well, some Orokin/Void related and there are few lore and stories here and there, but vague enough to allow wide variety individual interpretations. DE is the one who makes Warframe. And that is what we are given. The question is "why not?" and I don't see anything's wrong Limbo as a Warframe he is either.

Why? I cant say I like designs of all warframes in the game but they all fit the game setting. Cyberpunk, space, ninjas etc. And I really excited about warframe lore and universe. I read all codex notes and waiting patiently when DE expand the storyline. I mean that I take all this quite seriously, not just "pew pew ololo game". I'm not afraid to say that I put warframe's lore side by side with "Dark souls" game in sense of saturation. Developers dont give us all the story but place pieces of information in codex or weapon description and somehow it creates some sort of mystery and intrigue around the game. And then we get...jester? Ok...but then another jester? Too much clowns. EIHefe has a point. I was very excited when heard about Limbo on Devstream: warframe which represents the void itself? "Wow" I said. And then...this.

Well. Why not? I see he fits the name Limbo just right. I like the design and I find it very original. Just some of his abilities need some reworks. And this is exactly what I'm talking about - your perspective how a Warframe should be... maybe you agree with ElHefe's just only about Limbo's. I disagree.

I'm less worried about aesthetics than play. So, these last two frames don't really bother me. Limbo will definitely take some getting used to though. I'm putting him on the back burner for now, since I've leveled him. Once I'm done with arching leveling and have gotten used to the factions/proxy wars/whatever you want to call it, I'll forma and tinker with him. It's a fun concept and my preliminary play turned up some interesting results, but it be by no means put in the time to say I've mastered it. Regarding the appeal of its appearance though, it's really up to each player how they like the look. I don't really look at my frames that much outside of the lisset.

I didnt say mirage is bad or limbo is ugly. They both are very cool. I mean there are too much clowns in the game. Even Loki the masterrace himself has clown-ish pants. Maybe I take this game too seriously though.

I wouldn't say seriousness is an issue; just perspective. There is no right and wrong in that. But "labeling" could make things ugly, or less enjoyable, at least for me. I just take Warframe as is and enjoy them my way. I may be vocal on the abilities of these frames, but the designs so far to me just seem to be... Warframe.  

There's a lot of food for thought in this thread...

I think that a bit of lightheartedness actually helps a grim dark aesthetic. Warhammer 40k has Tau (idealistic communists), Eldar Harlequins (elf clowns) and Orks (because Orks). 

This is just the first example that popped into my head. Anyway, what's scarier; a space marine with a chainsword, or a clown with a chainsword?

Here's one for the OP: Tenno are twisted and warped by the void, the original Tenno had an impact on how their Warframes were molded and formed.  The original Tenno were quite blatantly unhinged and corrupted outcasts. Harley Quinn wannabe and Mr. Tuxedo Mask are par for the course when it comes to unstable superpowered beings. Hek, one of the original Tenno styled himself on the Scandinavian god of mischief.

This is the best description of the Tenno that I've heard yet. We are 'unstable superpowered beings'; like the Avengers. As Mr. Banner said, "...and then you dragged me back into this freak-show..."

That doesn't stop the Tenno from being badasses

All in all, I adore the direction that Limbo took. Warframes are clearly very, very different from one another and it's always great to go into a mission and see some dolled up grimdark color schemes (solid black and red) but then that one guy who's painted up like Fluttershy.

It's just hilarious because it doesn't even break immersion- Warframe is not meant to be a "silly" game, but the game makes it clear that there are some serious characters in this big ol' universe of ours. From the dude named after a god of trickery to the fella' dressed up like Houdini, to the harlequin to the beef monster that is Rhino to the insectoid look of Ash. We've got a real wide variety of frames to choose from and it gives people who want to be just a little less serious that option.

Because while Limbo is still a Tenno warrior with the ability to run ramshackle through an entire ship of heavily armed soldiers, he has a top hat that he plays with in his down time. His idle with a pair of pistols levitates them and he pretends to shoot without holding the guns. I feel like if Warframe's had voiceovers, the line "And for my next trick!" would be used constantly.

DE has made the game all about choice and who wouldn't be for that

The bobbleheads are great fun but they aren't integral to the game nor do they represent a central aspect of the game's Lore

You have to admit that The Void is where "all the magic" happens ... for the Orokin, for the Tenno, for all of the Waframe universe

Consequently, having a stage magician to represent The Void is a bit of understandable tongue in cheek it is nonetheless quite Lore dissonant when you consider that the Tenno are suppose to follow some ancient code of honor

Personally, I thought a VoidFrame should be unlike any other in appearance, ability and even character

The VoidFrame would be the least human of all the Tenno ... hardly recognizable

We can only guess what The Void did to the Tenno but this character is the embodiment - the zenith - of the Singularity

The VoidFrame should be our key to unlocking the mysteries of The Void

It should have been cosmic, not comic

Edited by ElHefe

Hydroid has tentacles on his face.

Oberon literally has hooves.

Volt has a massive eyeball as an alt helm.

Nyx Prime's helmet.

And not to mention in game you can have hot pink explosions all over the place, along with an array of other neon colors. Heck, you can even make a Power Ranger squad out of Warframe colors. Don't cry about immersion and the 'ninja' theme unless you run solo in default colors (Or super edgy red/black) 24/7, or play exclusively with hardcore intense serious players.

It is just discussion about warframe designs. No crying or yelling are needed. I dont get how immersion and hardcore are connected by the way. I play with sharp black/red/darkblue/grey colors indeed, have 13 mastery rank and most of potatoed-forma frames and weapons if you are worried that I'm new player which complaining and crying everytime when I dont like something. No I dont. Clown-ish designs-thats what really worrying me. I didnt complain when we got mirage. But now we have another jester.

@ Greygo ... I have made a number of posts decrying the look and even the name given to the VoidFrame as I was expecting it to be epic and was met with same kind of personalized negativity

Aside from being the loyal opposition we can still hope that DE may design a more "noble" or "warrior" like version of Limbo Prime if enough community pressure can be engendered

Personally, I thought a VoidFrame should be unlike any other in appearance, ability and even character

The VoidFrame would be the least human of all the Tenno ... hardly recognizable

We can only guess what The Void did to the Tenno but this character is the embodiment - the zenith - of the Singularity

The VoidFrame should be our key to unlocking the mysteries of The Void

I don't think Limbo is a "void frame" so much as he's a "limbo frame".

Limbo can be used to refer to an intermediate or transitory space, a place between places. Given what we know about the void, I don't think Limbo is actually accessing it, instead putting himself halfway between the void and realspace. He accesses the rift, not the void. Since "void" is capitalized like a proper noun, I assume those are two different places. 

The possibility for a true "void frame" is still open. I don't see Limbo as one.

Edited by vaugahn

I love DE and Warframe. I love their ideas and cyberpunk setting this game has. It definitely has a great shiny future. But...I dont get this new clown-ish design for new warframes...First we get mirage. Now we have Limbo. I hope DE will return to their old direction of creating warframe designs. Two clowns are enough. Please.

Fellow Tenno, if u have the same thoughts and u agree with me pls support this topic. Hopefully DE will find it. 

Magician http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_(illusion)

vs

Jester http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester

The true difference lies in the fact that Jesters are not only medival, but also rely on more hand tricks and acrobatics. Magicians don't do the acrobatics and such, but they still do sleight of hand, escape tricks, can practice hypnosis, and conjuring tricks.

Other then that, they are both simple performers.

So what your really saying is "please make some non-entertainer themed frames". I get you, that would be fine, but please recognize......SPACE NINJA WIZARD WITH A TOP HAT....It is amazing that this now exists somewhere, I am most pleased.

You can follow a "strict honor code" while still looking like a total chum. 

Honor code is a set of beliefs, not what you wear.

You can be a sarcastic wise cracking anti-hero (like Limbo and Loki), but still save the day due to your personal code.

Similarly you can be the cruel guy who stabs everyone in the neck (like Ash), but still save the day due to your own sense of duty.

They are still Tenno, even though they don't look like the "Noble heroic hurr durr" Excalibur or Rhino.

That is the reason why i love the proto excalibur skin, cos Excalibur looks awesome with jeans and sneakers on.

You can be a sarcastic wise cracking anti-hero (like Limbo and Loki), but still save the day due to your personal code.

Similarly you can be the cruel guy who stabs everyone in the neck (like Ash), but still save the day due to your own sense of duty.

This is totally true.

The original Mirage was a bloodthirsty killer, despite having the power of sparkles. 

@ T4COMX ... au contraire, Aesthetics is a recognized branch of philosophical discourse which addresses matters of taste, criticism and judgment

Therefore this thread constitutes valid "feedback", just as much as critiques of game mechanics or lore continuity

What many disagree with is the stated position ...

Fine, "a chacun son propre" (to each his own)

@ fatpig84 ... but of course, ever saw "Zatoichi" the blind samurai?

What better lesson than to "not judge a book ..."

Even so, what would be your reaction if DE decided that the next warframe was based upon Oblivion's Adoring Fan?