Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor Aoe...

TankHunter678

... is line of sight based like Excalibur's Radial Blind. It even actually does explode on contact with enemies. Just one problem.

Because it is LoS based when the explosion happens inside the target it causes it to not hit other targets. It will hit both the head and helmet of a corpus crewman/tech, as well as take out both the panel and death orb of a orokin trap, but it wont hit any other units because the explosion is blocked by the wall that is the enemy mob itself.

It also means that if you have 2 guys, one right behind the other, and the blast impacts in front of the front most one the guy in back wont take damage. Or when you hit the cover in front of your target, they wont take damage either.

If the terrain is not flat you can even wind up in a situation where shooting the ground in front of an enemy will result in them not taking damage because of the small dip in the floor, this is especially problematic in ice planet tilesets.

The Opticor would actually be a pretty damn good AoE weapon, were it not for this flaw basically curbing its ability to function.

I rather it have innate punch through than its negligible aoe.

Probably the AoE is neglibible because of blocking issues which are rendering it ineffective. 

The weapon is a beast, but its AoE should not be blocked by bodies at all.

BUT AoE should trigger on contact with first body regardless of punch through, so that even with punch through mods installed, the first target is always kablooeyed.

They should just make it have some insane punch-through instead of an AoE

No, AoE is absolutely necessary. 

First, we already have Lanka with insane punch through. Second this thing fires so slow that the AoE is far more useful. It should have a larger radius I think. 

No, AoE is absolutely necessary. 

First, we already have Lanka with insane punch through. Second this thing fires so slow that the AoE is far more useful. It should have a larger radius I think. 

agreed

although opitcor makes much more damage than lanka, it fires much slower

• 2 weeks later...

After using Opticor for a while I can also confirm there is problem with its AoE mechanic, whether it's based on line of sight or something else that make it unreliable.  Apparently its splash damage be blocked by small physics objects on the ground next to beam's impact point, objects such as dead body, pick-up items like ammo clips, energy orbs, etc., and this is even having a max ranked Shred installed.

Please look into this DE, with your engine editor you should be able to spawn whole bunch of clips and orb on the ground and duplicate the problem.

The weapon is a beast, but its AoE should not be blocked by bodies at all.

It also means that if you have 2 guys, one right behind the other, and the blast impacts in front of the front most one the guy in back wont take damage. Or when you hit the cover in front of your target, they wont take damage either.

I guess it depends on what kind of explosion you guys think the AoE is for Opticor. I see it as a blast that turns whatever it hits into flying shrapnel, like a frag grenade. In that case, it makes sense that anyone behind the guy taking the AoE damage wouldnt take damage, or at least very little damage, since the guy in front stopped most of the shrapnel. Same thing with guys behind cover, they shouldn't take damage.

Edited by DarkTails