The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Makes Me Uneasy; It Feels Uncomfortably Close To Jumping The Shark.

duenor

I genuinely stopped taking you serious from this line. I'm just going to stop replying to you.

Stop lying. You know it was that sweet Aristeas takedown that had you going, "daaaayyyyyuuuuuumn... he has a point."

Wow, all those examples were totally lost on you, weren't they?

I'm done. There's only so many times I'll bang my head against a brick wall.

They are lost on everyone but you because you never explained.

What does Jack the Ripper have to do with the frame? Because of the caricature people made up of him? Which was just standard clothing of certain people at the time? Whats your point? That Mr.Peanut dresses like that? Well, yes, he does. And that's the problem. That's the last thing one would think of when building war machines.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

I almost never come out of my lurker habitat.  But I'll come out for this...  I approached and loved this game for it's tone and theme.  Now almost two years later I get a frame thats a Jester and a top-hat magician, bobbleheads and then a mustache event.   If it wasn't for the fact the game had an established style this kind of stuff may have not bothered me but If I wanted to play a game that takes me out of its world with material that breaks me out of its world I'd go play a game that already had an advertised existing presentation like that  (like team fortress 2 etc).  Understand people like me aren't "killjoys"  but If I were to jump into lets say warhammer 40k dawn of war after all these years and they updated the game for fedora marines and unicorn scouts then I'd prolly just load up an older build or just quit.  Not here to debate, I'm just a quiet hobbyist hoping more people like me that feel similar to how I do, voice their opinion about this kind of game direction, not just for warframe but even in general.

The line of tought i followed is that Zephyr and Oberon don´t have literal wings, feathers or hoves but abstractions of those concepts made into pieces of armor while Limbo sports his literally as a hat even if it actually has a function contrary to Vauban¨s so called beret.

But even the hat is a piece of armor to protect what is inside. Otherwise he wouldn't even be wearing it in the first place if it was just a top hat. If you can take a helmet off, does it make it less necessary to protect your head?

Edited by Darkmoone1

I almost never come out of my lurker habitat.  But I'll come out for this...  I approached and loved this game for it's tone and theme.  Now almost two years later I get a frame thats a Jester and a top-hat magician, bobbleheads and then a mustache event.   If it wasn't for the fact the game had an established style this kind of stuff may have not bothered me but If I wanted to play a game that takes me out of its world with material that breaks me out of its world I'd go play a game that already had an advertised existing presentation like that  (like team fortress 2 etc).  Understand people like me aren't "killjoys"  but If I were to jump into lets say warhammer 40k dawn of war after all these years and they updated the game for fedora marines and unicorn scouts then I'd prolly just load up an older build or just quit.  Not here to debate, I'm just a quiet hobbyist hoping more people like me that feel similar to how I do, voice their opinion about this kind of game direction, not just for warframe but even in general.

Very well said, and my sentiments exactly.

Limbo just doesn't fit with the Tenno universe as I have understood it for the past year and a half. It's just my opinion, and my posts are attempts to help others understand my view rather than state my reasons as the unfalliable truth. It's too jarring, too pushing me out of the Tenno fantasy, and ultimately asinine. Again, in my opinion - and like Thekraize, I'm hoping others will voice their opinions too (one way or the other).

ETA: And that hat tipping just, perhaps illogically, fills me with loathing. 

Edited by duenor

Mirage literally has confetti in her abilities, wonder why she's just bypassing all this but Limbo who can take off his hat gets judged and stuff, I personally don't mind the theme because DE never had some strict theme to follow

Mirage is getting bypassed because she is useful to the team where Limbo is not.  We can accept a bad theme if it has good utility, bad frame theme and troll powers is a bit much to swallow.

When the Orokin made the original Limbo I picture it going like this.

Orokin1: Uh..Sir

Orokin2: What?

Orokin1: He's got a top hat...

Orokin2: So? I like them.

Orokin1:Bu-

Orokin2: Shut it, We're doin' it live!

And thus he was born. Personally at first I thought "The hell?". Then he grew on me. If anything having a hammerhead shark head is way worse than a top hat.

Edited by Schoolgirls

As in, "jump the shark".

I felt drawn in by the idea of space ninjas fighting a desperate battle against overwhelming odds. I was thrilled by Lotus playing Oracle to my Dark Knight, an interplanetary warrior of ancient power and eldritch weaponry. Each warframe felt plausible within this diaspora.

However, Limbo disrupts this. A magician, with a hat that he can doff? Are we now taking pages out of DC's missteps? Will we next see a warframe whose theme is rainbows and music notes?

I am delighted by the idea of the void, shadow walking, etc. But the idea of a hat-and-bunny magician is just as disruptive here in Warframe as it is in the world of Metropolis.

But, perhaps I am just too old for this game. It may be that I have just outgrown delight at seeing everything I consider cool all in one place. 

Seriously...

U13 was the last time Warframe was actually what it advertised itself to be.

(edited) ...

Limbo just doesn't fit with the Tenno universe as I have understood it for the past year and a half.

Likewise ...

However, whether the game is evolving on the fly or as part of a master plan doesn't mean that there aren't serious literary reasons for the changes

If you aren't already familiar with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or The Invisibles, take a quick look at their Wiki entries and see if you detect what I think I am picking up on

Sinclair has stated in interviews that they drew inspiration from Guyver, Animae and other video games in addition to comics and hard core written science fiction

Footnote:  I wouldn't get distracted by the Mo Bro campaign as being front and center for artistic guidance for the game

Instead, I get the distinct impression that DE has decided to be very active in various real world social movements which is a very laudable and valuable thing for the corporate world  

Edited by ElHefe

Mirage is getting bypassed because she is useful to the team where Limbo is not.  We can accept a bad theme if it has good utility, bad frame theme and troll powers is a bit much to swallow.

shush. Limbo is one of the greatest warframes right now. Ever since Mag, and Loki lost the ability to save lives all we have left is Limbo since Frost=Guaranteed death by grenade in late game.

Limbo defies this. He won't let you die by grenade. Infact he protects the pod best in the worst case scenario, and if all goes as planned when the new infested comes out you will be glad you have Limbo in your team that acid spit that destroys the pod in seconds will make you cry, and wish Limbo still had his savior bubble. Meanwhile Frost is absolutely useless, and is the worst warframe to use in a situation that dangerous against infested. Ecspecially with the colossus infested thing that was also made along side the acid flower might as well just let the shield get utterly destroyed by acid only for infested king kong to deliver the finishing blow all because you relied on a shield that is limited to health to save your life instead of something not limited to health, and keeps you in another dimension when explosive, or various other attacks come in. Plus when it shrinks small enough it really protects the pod from danger.

Limbo is one of the best warframes in the game alongside Excalibur, Volt, and Rhino, and we have been having a pretty poor team work set of warframes coming in lately unless you enjoy Hydroid, and Vauban blowing up your computer as they take over the battlefield with all manner of screwed-up-ness. Which is really more of a mess versus just Limbo doing his thing.

now get the Obtio, or Pein fight music, and play it along side Limbo, and you will have the most epic time playing as him.

You heard him DE, add this in right now! I can't wait until he is added to the console versions. Now while I'm playing as him this^ is all I'll think about.

Edited by (XB1)Guardian Azrael

I'm just upset by Limbo's abilities. His first and second are practically the same that they might as well combine the two (just a suggestion) into something like a door that coats allies and enemies for a certain amount of time. This would allow for his second ability to be changed into something more then just him casting the first ability on him self.  His third is also a troublesome ability as it is only effective when using his fourth ability. Why doesn't he channel the void energy (of his third ability) outwards to do something helpful to the team while outside of the rift?

His looks are fine they are no more out of place then what we already have.

I'm just upset by Limbo's abilities. His first and second are practically the same that they might as well combine the two (just a suggestion) into something like a door that coats allies and enemies for a certain amount of time. This would allow for his second ability to be changed into something more then just him casting the first ability on him self.  His third is also a troublesome ability as it is only effective when using his fourth ability. Why doesn't he channel the void energy (of his third ability) outwards to do something helpful to the team while outside of the rift?

His looks are fine they are no more out of place then what we already have.

if it becomes a door then Limbo himself better be the door. If I have to walk to a set location just to be in rift it will handicap him greatly. I use rift walk to escape nasty situations, and banish to save players instantly when they are about to go down. This wouldn't help much if its a door.

How are Banish and Rift Walk practically the same? The fact that they target different objects is already difference enough - you can't cast Banish on yourself to get out of sticky situations for instance, nor use Rift Walk to attack enemies. Also, you can use Banish as a purely offensive move to kill enemies, and then Rift Walk to allow you all the time in the world to kill them if they survive Banishment.

Also, his third ability can be used with Rift Walk and Banish - Banish a few high level enemies, perform Rift Walk, and then Surge. While casting Cataclysm and then Surge is more power-efficient, the Banish/Rift Walk/Rift Surge combo is more tactically flexible since you're not limited to just attacking enemies inside a single sphere.

Limbo is a frame that rewards ability synergy by using more than two abilities in concert at once to achieve the desired effects, instead of just spamming the same single ability over and over again.

Edited by LGear

How are Banish and Rift Walk practically the same? The fact that they target different objects is already difference enough - you can't cast Banish on yourself to get out of sticky situations for instance, nor use Rift Walk to attack enemies. Also, you can use Banish as a purely offensive move to kill enemies, and then Rift Walk to allow you all the time in the world to kill them if they survive Banishment.

Also, his third ability can be used with Rift Walk and Banish - Banish a few high level enemies, perform Rift Walk, and then Surge. While casting Cataclysm and then Surge is more power-efficient, the Banish/Rift Walk/Rift Surge combo is more tactically flexible since you're not limited to just attacking enemies inside a single sphere.

Limbo is a frame that rewards ability synergy by using more than two abilities in concert at once to achieve the desired effects, instead of just spamming the same single ability over and over again.

The main problems lie in Rift Surge, Cataclysm, and whether or not Banish should be a small AOE.

DE themselves acknowledge that Banishing enemies one by one is a hassle, and that you shouldn't have to use your ultimate just to send a large amount of enemies to the Rift at once, especially since you cannot recast it, or cancel it.

The main problems lie in Rift Surge, Cataclysm, and whether or not Banish should be a small AOE.

DE themselves acknowledge that Banishing enemies one by one is a hassle, and that you shouldn't have to use your ultimate just to send a large amount of enemies to the Rift at once, especially since you cannot recast it, or cancel it.

Really? thats odd I kinda like banishing enemies one at a time picking at the battlefield like a surgeon doing brain surgery. Also mass rifting them creates the ultimate blender. Just wait for them to come out, and tear them to shreds one at a time.

Really? thats odd I kinda like banishing enemies one at a time picking at the battlefield like a surgeon doing brain surgery. Also mass rifting them creates the ultimate blender. Just wait for them to come out, and tear them to shreds one at a time.

These are the points DE is addressing, meaning they recognize them as a problem.

The more i use limbo, the more i see him more as a void frame that is more of a duelist than a magician as in the 17th and 18th century, a field of honour would be set. In Limbo's case, that is easily set using his abilities. Guess what was becoming a popular fashion during the 18th century? The top hat. Appearance wise he doesn't fit the stereotypical ninja look, but he has honour, and 17th and 18th century dueling started because of someone's honor being offended and it also originated from a code of chivalry as well. At this point the only way i don't see him as a duelist is when he's being played by a troll

As in, "jump the shark".

I felt drawn in by the idea of space ninjas fighting a desperate battle against overwhelming odds. I was thrilled by Lotus playing Oracle to my Dark Knight, an interplanetary warrior of ancient power and eldritch weaponry. Each warframe felt plausible within this diaspora.

However, Limbo disrupts this. A magician, with a hat that he can doff? Are we now taking pages out of DC's missteps? Will we next see a warframe whose theme is rainbows and music notes?

I am delighted by the idea of the void, shadow walking, etc. But the idea of a hat-and-bunny magician is just as disruptive here in Warframe as it is in the world of Metropolis.

But, perhaps I am just too old for this game. It may be that I have just outgrown delight at seeing everything I consider cool all in one place. 

yeah, because a bird (Zephyr), a paladin with goat head (Oberon), and a f**kin' Davy Jones (Hydroid) are TOTALLY NOT BREAKING THE NINJA IMMERSION! I don't know why people aren't mad with Hydroid in the first place.

oh! you know what's really silly in warframe design? totally unrelated to animal? Mag.

People should really mad when they saw a woman with tesla coils all around her arm, and a freakin' fishbowl for her helmet, or another tesla coil helmet, or a girl with headphones helmet.

but they don't.

Edited by dataman88