Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Augment Mods: Potential P2W?

Valafor

Now before you whip out your pitchforks, torches, and prepare to crucify me, hear me out.

As you may know, the new weapon augment mods have a new mechanic in which weapon affinity converts to a new bar (Truth, Entropy, Justice, etc.) which once full, discharges and restores HP as well as some other effect. However, because it charges by weapon affinity do Affinity Boosters increase the rate the bar fills

This interestingly enough, puts people with Affinity Boosters at an advantage. These effects are useful, restoring Hp as well as a fairly powerful AoE. With affinity boosters, that means discharge these powerful AoEs and restore health at the twice the rate of everyone else. Now unless someone can prove me wrong and confirm that Affinity Boosters do not increase rate of which your Augment mod bar, this is a bit unfair for regular players. 

Also, INB4 PWE Conspiracy. This is not that kind of thread,, but rather pointing out something that may have been overlooked. 

I can confirm it charges based on affinity.

If boosters do effect augment charging, they should not.

(I have Prime Access, and really don't want to have an advantage because of it.)

To do testing, get two players, one with, and one without a booster. Get a third player to get affinity (kills, or abilities with the aid of restores) while the other two idle with the augmented weapons drawn. If they activate at the same time, all is good. If they kill Hodor activate separately, we riot.

Edited by Kthal

Hmm good point, haven't considered that...

Should wait on confirmation

Whilst on this note, does the bar reset per game or remain game after game?

It only takes like 2k affinity to fill up. This is why it concerns me. With boosters, an eximus unit fills up pretty much all of it, then if you juts kill some random goon you instantly reach 2k affinity. 

(I have Prime Access, and really don't want to have an advantage because of it.)

To do testing, get two players, one with, and one without a booster. Get a third player to get affinity (kills, or abilities with the aid of restores) while the other two idle with the augmented weapons drawn. If they activate at the same time, all is good. If they kill Hodor activate separately, we riot.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Now, where did I leave my pitchforks and torches...

As long as it doesn't affect PvP it can't be considered p2w mechanic in my opinion :p

But lel, 2k affinity is so little D: 1 eximus and 2 grunts (while using booster). Or 11 grunts. Still very little.

Whilst on this note, does the bar reset per game or remain game after game?

From what I saw in videos it resets after discharging.

Isn't it just as likely that this is an oversight? As in, they designed the mod, linked it to an attribute and didn't notice the correlation to boosters? Plus, most people I know don't run boosters - and the ones that do are leveling up weapons/frames.

Does the bar make that big of a difference in gameplay? If it does, then doesn't that mean that it is truly only required for the super high level content, where you are likely not seeking an affinity booster due to being max rank?

I understand your concern, and I agree that it should be separated from the booster. I only suggest that this isn't a conspiracy... If they don't fix this and instead change the advertising for an affinity booster, then I will agree to your concerns fully.

As long as it doesn't affect PvP it can't be considered p2w mechanic in my opinion :p

Different definitions of p2w perhaps... I consider being able to pay for a tangible in-game advantage p2w. It's one thing to be able to get stuff faster by rushing or buying them, as long as non-paying players can get there eventually. But if a booster makes your weapon unleash a special effect (which is apparently an AoE blast with HP recovery) twice as often, then it crosses a line for me.

I'll just assume this is an oversight for now until we get some confirmation.

Who cares? Unless it gives an advantage in PvP, it's not P2W.

Hah. Clearly you haven't played Vindictus or Maplestory or any other PVE Korean MMO ever.

OT:

It sounds more like an oversight to me, kinda like how Affinity Boosters used to double the "25 Energy" notification when casting an ability. It'll likely be fixed soon.

But if not, then pitchforks at the ready.

Now before you whip out your pitchforks, torches, and prepare to crucify me, hear me out.

As you may know, the new weapon augment mods have a new mechanic in which weapon affinity converts to a new bar (Truth, Entropy, Justice, etc.) which once full, discharges and restores HP as well as some other effect. However, because it charges by weapon affinity do Affinity Boosters increase the rate the bar fills

This interestingly enough, puts people with Affinity Boosters at an advantage. These effects are useful, restoring Hp as well as a fairly powerful AoE. With affinity boosters, that means discharge these powerful AoEs and restore health at the twice the rate of everyone else. Now unless someone can prove me wrong and confirm that Affinity Boosters do not increase rate of which your Augment mod bar, this is a bit unfair for regular players. 

Also, INB4 PWE Conspiracy. This is not that kind of thread,, but rather pointing out something that may have been overlooked. 

"Now before you whip out your pitchforks, torches, and prepare to crucify me, hear me out."

Haha, that was hilarious! That's their way of welcoming you to the forums, I suppose. :)

And you made a good point about the boosters - that is a good question, though. If you're right about affinity boosters, is this a bug or is it intended to be this way?

Hah. Clearly you haven't played Vindictus or Maplestory or any other PVE Korean MMO ever.

OT:

It sounds more like an oversight to me, kinda like how Affinity Boosters used to double the "25 Energy" notification when casting an ability. It'll likely be fixed soon.

Hmmm ... Warframe is not an MMO. And there is no competition for drops. You get everything other people have killed for. In fact, going AFK on a crate here can get you more resources then mashing buttons in either game you mentioned.

I'm just saying, if people are getting a "kill advantage" with this Affinity thing, it's actually benefiting people without it.

For what its worth, i think affinity boosters are going to see a lot of use anyway thanks to how reputation is calculated. Its also a good cycle for gaining plat. Farm with affinity booster, buy exclusive mod, sell it for lots of plat, use a small amount of profit on more affinity booster. Rinse and repeat.

Hmmm ... Warframe is not an MMO. And there is no competition for drops. You get everything other people have killed for. In fact, going AFK on a crate here can get you more resources then mashing buttons in either game you mentioned.

I'm just saying, if people are getting a "kill advantage" with this Affinity thing, it's actually benefiting people without it.

- Debatable. After player hubs come in, Warframe will be every bit as much an MMO as Vindictus is.

- There's no competition for drops in Vindictus either. A lot of drops are actually only obtainable via teamwork (e.g. players positioning themselves around the map and working together to shoot off dragon horns with a ballista launcher, dropping large rocks on a bald mammoth-like thing's head so the rest of the squad can break off its tusks, etc).

Vindictus is one of the most disgustingly P2W games in existence at the moment. Why? Because players without real-world funding on their virtual character deal almost zero damage (and can't survive more than one or two hits) against high-leveled bosses, and are able to contribute so little to their team that (no matter how skilled they are) it's virtually impossible for them to join a squad.

"Everyone benefits when their teammates are strong" is as true in Vindictus as it is in Warframe, but that does not stop the Pay2Win issue from being a problem. Little things such as "doubled health/shield recovery when using a specific weapon while 2x Exp is in effect" are how the Pay2Win disease begins-- it comes in baby steps; starting with something virtually unnoticeable and eventually leading to a system so corrupt that the servers are a barren wasteland.

I've played Maplestory since before Pirates came out (2008), and I've played Vindictus since open beta (2010). I have witnessed Pay2Win tear these two games apart firsthand. The former is a shadow of what it once was, and the latter is-- putting it nicely-- dead. Both are currently laughingstocks of the F2P genre as a whole.

tl;dr

Pay2Win can destroy PvE games just as easily as it can destroy PVP.

Edited by SortaRandom

OT:

The numbers that appear on top of you when you cast powers ARE affinity, you get that amount to the Warframe everytime you cast it, so it would make sense to double that when you use boosters. Notice that when you use efficiency mods you still get the same number instead of, say: A power uses 100 energy, with Streamline you use 70, but the number above you head still displays 100 when you cast it, not 70.

Its a good thing affinity boosters affect this.

Its a bad thing affinity boosters are distanced from the player that wants his/her game to be free.

There should be more ways to actually get affinty boosters without having to drop plat for them.

someone has to pay for the servers.

and you can get enough plat for a booster with a few hours of void + trade, so while you do need to drop plat for them you don't need to drop cash for them, that is a huge difference there

i will be for test before taking out the pitch fork.

And if it is actuly the case well we can ask the dev to review the situation too. We are pretty lucky that the dev are pretty open about change made in the game. and this would give us the idea

Rather Not hear you out and comment anyway. Besides, them long distance fees...

Damn straight it is, just because you say it so don't mean it so...

mans-hand-holding-up-pitchfork-against-b

mans-hand-holding-up-pitchfork-against-b

media-54182-194256.jpg

• 2 weeks later...