Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Join The Glorious Revolution! (And Bring Your Popcorn)

UnknownGunneryChief

The devstream won't be productive at all as it comes to these recent issues. Just look to the way they handled people picking Syndicates by their rewards and rep relation mechanics, rather than lore.

This is something that has been bothering me for a couple of weeks now, but I hadn't bothered to post about it because it seems every other time I post in this subreddit is to complain or show discomfort and I'm tired of it because, after all is said and done, I really enjoy the game, but I guess now it's the right time to talk about this.

Go back a couple of weeks, to DE's Halloween Livestream. The subject of what are the most popular Syndicates comes up, and [DE]Steve explains that it isn't a landslide, but that the Arbiters of Hexis are at the top. A few minutes later, this happens:

[DE]Steve: "Yes, you know, Cephalon Suda actually does really really well in the standings; which surprises me because I thought...

[DE]Rebecca: "But they're related to the Arbiters! Like, if you support Arbiters you get half those -

[DE]Steve interrupts:
You are talking about those people just gaming the system more than supporting who they really like.

[DE]Rebecca: Well, not gaming the system, I'm just saying if there's a positive -

[DE]Sheldon interrupts and the conversation goes on in another direction.

So, why do I find this little interchange so interesting (and infuriating)? Because it clearly shows the almost paranoid stance DE -this time it was Steve, but Scott, Sheldon and the others have made similar remarks in the past as well- has been sporting for a long time now. Rebecca is just saying that if the Arbiters are at the top, it's not surprising that Suda are close seconds, considering anyone playing Arbiters are getting half the same amount of favour with the Cephalon. But Steve's reaction betrays his internal worries, which are "people are not playing the game in the way I want!". It betrays the current culture of "us vs them", where DE thinks they are being besieged and they must defend their game from those pesky "players" at all costs.

Incidentally, let's not forget that those players "gaming the system" (that is, supporting the several Syndicates that have good synergies between them) aren't exploiting anything or taking advantage of a bug or an unexpected design flaw. No, by supporting the Syndicates that are already in good terms with each other those players are just playing the game within the stablished rules! But no, says the man in Washington London (Ontario), they are playing it "wrong". The players have to stick with a single Syndicate because... reasons. Because they decided players have to choose a Syndicate based on preference, in spite of that Syndicate offering no reward that the player finds desireable, and anyone not adjusting to their divine mandate is therefore "gaming the system".

That's just an example. There's been others (encrypting the loot tables so we wouldn't know how messed up they were or how low the chances of some parts truly are; their response to the mere suggestion that a mod system that's only viable as long as you are modding for "more damage, more damage, more damage!" is, maybe, not as flexible as DE likes to say; and, well, I don't have to say anything more about the current Viver fiasco, do I?) and all of them are just symptoms of how DE interprets things from a "defensive" point of view.

TL;DR: DE thinks the game is under attack from the players playing the game "wrong". The purity of their design must be preserved at all costs (that includes, apparently, punishing or getting rid of the players).

I've my popcorn as well as some other salty stuff ready ever since the Wednesday hypethread yesterday. I've enough backup to get through the entire next month until we get our Christmas presents, which is much likely more grind (looking at you, Focus System!).

De will probably dodge the questions all together anyway

Most likely, but at least I expect that they will try to play down the issue.

Edited by MeduSalem

Un-constructive post. 

Although it is humorous 

WOW.

And I thought I saw the most offensive thing today, you sir took the cake.

If you think that's offensive than you better not stray from safe Internet waters much.

So it basically still is Viver farmers that don't (want to) understand the problem VS the Tenno that are pure and are more than simple AIs programmed to press 2 or 4 until their time ends.

Why do people farm Viver? Rep points. If rep points didn't exist would people go to Viver? Not likely.

The current syndicate system is the disease. Viver is the cure. Mag, Excal and Trin were the anti-bodies. What does that make DE?

If you think that's offensive than you better not stray from safe Internet waters much.

Why do people farm Viver? Rep points. If rep points didn't exist would people go to Viver? Not likely.

The current syndicate system is the disease. Viver is the cure. Mag, Excal and Trin were the anti-bodies. What does that make DE?

The carrier?