The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Feedback On The Ps4 Exclusive Renown Packs - Obsidian Items

(PSN)renosis

Since there is a serious lack of PS4 players on the forums I think these items need to be brought up: 

1. Renown Pack 2 was a major improvement from the first disaster Renown pack. There are two problems with it: the Lato skin can't be applied to the Aklato and the Skana skin can't be applied to the Dual Skana.  It is strange because other skins for the Lato (such as Day of the Dead skin) work just fine on both Lato and Aklato. It is a shame and would be such an easy fix, I think an intern could easily do this during a lunch break. 

2. I really like the latest Renown Pack 3, the Excalibur skin looks great. There is one problem though, you can change the colors of only a small portion of the animated blue part. I think you should change this so either we can change ALL the colors of the animated blue portion or NONE. Because changing just a small part of the blue color usually results in a hideous clash of color. Of course if you make the entire Blue portion able to have custom color, you would probably need to be able to do this with the other two Renown pack items.

3. Fix the Obsidian Yomo Syandnana! First, it is not animated like the latest Obsidian Items. The first Renown Pack was horrible, which I know DE is well aware of the general displeasure with the Obsidian Syndana, which looks exactly the same as Yomo Syndana only you can't change its color. It came off as a lazy insult to the PS4 consumers who bought it. Right now it doesn't even match the rest of the newer Obsidian items.

EDIT: Changed the topic title to more reflect that this is Feedback and not necessarily a bug with the art.

Edited by (PS4)renosis

As much as I would love to see these able to be customized (the actual excalibur skin especially with that flowing energy).  I think it would kind of take away from the PS exclusivity -- as Black and Blue is kind of Playstation's thing.

I do 100% agree with you on the Dual Lato and Dual Skana thing, however.  I would definitely love to be able to use these on those Dual weapons :-).

I don't hear alot of displeasure about the Obsidian Syandana, however- that doesn't mean there isn't any.  Energy flowing through it would be cool, but to say it does not match... I have to disagree with that, It absolutely matches the outfit and it looks absolutely epic IMO, not to mention it glows when you channel (whatever your energy color is for your frame).

So, I guess, in short or TL;DR:

-My opinion:

-Letting them all be customizable in color - On the fence about this - (would be awesome for the actual excal skin energy flow at least, but it just may not rep Playstation at that point as much) 

-Skin applied to Dual Skana's and Dual Lato's -  A big yes to this from me.

-The general complaint that they are not good, and do not match etc...-  I highly disagree with this.

1. I agree that, if possible, please look into making this available for the AkLato/Dual Skana.  I really like this texture, and I ended up really enjoying the Lato after using it with this Skin.  If this skin could be applied to AkLato, then I'd definitely be inclined to build one.

2. I disagree about changing the blue.  Blue and black are the colors of Playstation.  I'm sorry, that's just how it is.  I would like to change the color, too, but I understand why we cannot.  It wouldn't be "obsidian" otherwise.

3. I second this request to make the design on the Obsidian Syandana animated.  I like it as it is, but it would "pop" more if it was animated like the other Obsidian designs.  I don't think it's a lazy insult, but I do concur that animating it would make it consistent with the newer renown packs and make it stand out more in a "Make your friends jealous" kind of way.

I don't hear alot of displeasure about the Obsidian Syandana, however- that doesn't mean there isn't any.  Energy flowing through it would be cool, but to say it does not match... I have to disagree with that, It absolutely matches the outfit and it looks absolutely epic IMO, not to mention it glows when you channel (whatever your energy color is for your frame).

Oh, the other syandanas don't glow when channeling?  The Obsidian one is the only one I own, lol.

I've heard several complaints from the people who bought the Obsidian Yomo Syandana it when it came out. You don't hear about it much any more since it hasn't been available for quite some time. To me, the problem is a player could make the regular Yomo Syandana look exactly like the Obsidian Syandana by simply matching the black and blue colors. How is that exclusive?

I actually raised a point about bringing the obidian skin to the dual variants of lato and skana. 

Considering these items are DE's consolation to console players in lieu of being able to attain Excalibur Prime, it kinda makes sense that you can't use the skins on Aklato and Dual Skanas. There is no Dual Skana Prime, nor is there an Aklato Prime.

That's honestly the only logical reason I can see as to why they wouldn't work on their dual variants. If that's completely irrelevant or baseless, lemme know.

1. I agree that, if possible, please look into making this available for the AkLato/Dual Skana.  I really like this texture, and I ended up really enjoying the Lato after using it with this Skin.  If this skin could be applied to AkLato, then I'd definitely be inclined to build one.

2. I disagree about changing the blue.  Blue and black are the colors of Playstation.  I'm sorry, that's just how it is.  I would like to change the color, too, but I understand why we cannot.  It wouldn't be "obsidian" otherwise.

3. I second this request to make the design on the Obsidian Syandana animated.  I like it as it is, but it would "pop" more if it was animated like the other Obsidian designs.  I don't think it's a lazy insult, but I do concur that animating it would make it consistent with the newer renown packs and make it stand out more in a "Make your friends jealous" kind of way.

As for number 2, my real problem is that right now you can slightly change the Blue color of the energy and all it does is make it look hideous. Either make it so you can't change it at all or make it so you can change it to any color. I am fine with both. 

I actually raised a point about bringing the obidian skin to the dual variants of lato and skana. 

Considering these items are DE's consolation to console players in lieu of being able to attain Excalibur Prime, it kinda makes sense that you can't use the skins on Aklato and Dual Skanas. There is no Dual Skana Prime, nor is there an Aklato Prime.

That's honestly the only logical reason I can see as to why they wouldn't work on their dual variants. If that's completely irrelevant or baseless, lemme know.

Definitely not irrelevant, but I am assuming the Skana prime and the Lato prime have statistical advantages?  These skins do not.  (Correct me if I'm wrong about the Skana and Lato Prime)

I've heard several complaints from the people who bought the Obsidian Yomo Syandana it when it came out. You don't hear about it much any more since it hasn't been available for quite some time. To me, the problem is a player could make the regular Yomo Syandana look exactly like the Obsidian Syandana by simply matching the black and blue colors. How is that exclusive?

I didn't think about that, that is very true -- maybe some energy flow through it would be welcomed afterall.  I guess with the PS color picker you could make it look EXACT, I will try later! :-)

It is a valid point I suppose. I didn't take these Renown Packs to be a direct compensation for no Excalibur Prime / Lato Prime / Skana Prime. I guess it could be thought of that way, but I kind of think of that as just ONE of the reasons for the Renown Packs. I mean, there are almost always some kind of console exclusive in any game. I just think it would nice and simple to do this for PS4 users.

Edited by (PS4)renosis

There always seems to be complaints - big or small - with the renown packs, though. 

Pack 1 - "Syandana's don't do anything."

Pack 2 - "Lato and Skana suck"

Pack 3 - "Can't change the colors."

You could complain that you can't change the colors of any of the 3 packs.  I feel like not being able to apply the skin to AkLato/Dual Skana is the most legitimate complaint I've heard about these renown packs, but only because you can apply the solo Lato/Skana skins to their other dual counterparts.

My question is: WOULD it be an easy fix to animate the Obsidian Syandana and to make the solo skins available for their dual counterparts?  That's what I'd like to know.

There always seems to be complaints - big or small - with the renown packs, though. 

Pack 1 - "Syandana's don't do anything."

Pack 2 - "Lato and Skana suck"

Pack 3 - "Can't change the colors."

You could complain that you can't change the colors of any of the 3 packs.  I feel like not being able to apply the skin to AkLato/Dual Skana is the most legitimate complaint I've heard about these renown packs, but only because you can apply the solo Lato/Skana skins to their other dual counterparts.

My question is: WOULD it be an easy fix to animate the Obsidian Syandana and to make the solo skins available for their dual counterparts?  That's what I'd like to know.

I don't work in the Games Industry, but I am a programmer and I have worked with 3d graphics. The Obisidian Syandana animation would take a bit of time for an artist to do. The Dual skins for Aklato would be simple enough to do in an hour, IMO. It is literally just applying the single lato Obsidian texture file path to the dual Lato. The weapon is an exact copy of Lato, just with 2. It may need to be mirrored or something, I dunno if the guns are left hand / right hand specific. The Dual Skana might take a bit longer, because one is a short sword and the texture would need to be created for it.

I don't work in the Games Industry, but I am a programmer and I have worked with 3d graphics. The Obisidian Syandana animation would take a bit of time for an artist to do. The Dual skins for Aklato would be simple enough to do in an hour, IMO. It is literally just applying the single lato Obsidian texture file path to the dual Lato. The weapon is an exact copy of Lato, just with 2. It may need to be mirrored or something, I dunno if the guns are left hand / right hand specific. The Dual Skana might take a bit longer, because one is a short sword and the texture would need to be created for it.

I don't work in the Industry either, nor am I a programmer or have worked with 3D graphics, but I do understand the over-arching concepts.  I agree with you that the Dual Lato could be easy, should they want to implement it.  The Sydana/dual Skana would be harder, I'd wager, for the reasons you mentioned.

As a suggestion: if De does update the Obsidian Syandana with an anmiation, I think it would be cool if it was the wavy blue of the PS4 dashboard background..

edit: Changed "should" to "could" because I honestly don't know how easy programming "should" be :)

Edited by (PS4)IkariWarrior83

I am wrong about the Yomo Syandana. You can't color the original Yomo to look like the Obsidian, there are portions of it that are permanently grayish white. But I still think it is not different enough and was kind of a lazy way to make a few bucks off PS4 players. I wish it were at least animated like the rest of the Renown Packs. Right now it feels like they told the artist to make a skin in the cheapest and shortest amount of time possible while still changing it enough so we can get away with slapping the words "PS4 Exclusive" on the adverts. I am happy that the Renown packs have been getting better... but I will always look at that first Renown pack and feel like I was swindled!

Edit: Grammar fixes, man I need to remember to proofread before submitting!

Edited by (PS4)renosis

I am wrong about the Yomo Syandana. You can't color the original Yomo to look like the Obsidian, there are portions of it that are permanently grayish white. But I still think it is not different enough and was kind of a lazy way to make a few bucks off PS4 players. I wish it were at least animated like the rest of the Renown Packs. Right now it feels like they told the artist to make a skin in the cheapest and shortest amount of time possible while still changing it enough so we can get away with slapping the words "PS4 Exclusive" on the adverts. I am happy that the Renown packs have been getting better... but I will always look at that first Renown pack and feel like I was swindled!

Edit: Grammar fixes, man I need to remember to proofread before submitting!

well actually For me the price was 9.99(7.99 ps plus) for the renown pack, whitch comes with 170 plat and you can buy 170 plat for 9.99 on its own so you actually get free stuff.

DE should not change a thing. I love the renown items and I hope they stick to whatever plans they already had for it.

They really miss the point. Cosmetic items that limit your customization with pre-set colors and are all meant for completely obsolete/trash tier items.

Lato is terrible and made even worse with recent updates, lato prime never offered on PS4.

Skana is terrible, skana prime never offered on PS4.

Excalibur debatable, excalibur prime never offered on PS4.

Yomo syandana... Is kinda bad because you can't customize a large portion of it. Obsidian yomo is even worse since you can't customize it AT ALL.

So bloody backwards. They never offered founder pack primes on PS4 and trying to compensate with cosmetic trash? Is that it?

If glow was fully customizeable, I guess there would be a point - the only skins with animation. But since it's always blue, customization-wise it's just inferior.

On a side note, making cosmetic items non-customizeable and colored after a piece of electronics is... What were you thinking? How to make sure your PC players don't give a damn about those exclusives? Well, in that case it works, nobody cares. Regardless of platform of choice. Ugh.

Being able to change the energy color of the obsidian items would make them exponentially better.

I personally like the blue and black color scheme because blue is my favorite color, but not everyone with a PlayStation likes blue or black. Maybe some people want a pink and white Excalibur. 

I feel if they keep giving us renown packs the only way to make sure the other communities don't get upset would be to force us into the color scheme. I think they should make what we already have full customizable; if that means ending the renown packs here, so be it.

PS. A new Excalibur helmet would be awesome. Not just for ps4, for all platforms.

We will try to raise the bar higher with each Renown pack.

Appreciate that! They have been getting better and better and we do see that. I mean, when I first saw the Excalibur Skin I said "Wow, I got to get this". I don't even use Excalibur that much and I had to have it. Would be cool if you can change the color of the energy though. I mean, I understand you guys wanted it to match the PS4 colors. But why can't it just come with PS4 colors as the default color scheme for it and let us change it if we want. This shouldn't be very hard to do either. I like that  you can change same of the colors on the Excalibur skin, but the most important and visible color, the blue, you can't change.

Anyway, I don't want to be hard on the Developer's because I usually love the work you guys do and I am still a devoted customer. Progress is good. Hopefully the next Renown Pack impresses me even more than number 3.

Edited by (PS4)renosis