Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Anyone Else In This Game Bothered That Modding Your Gun Is Almost Always About More Damage.

Innocent_Flower

-snip-

Where is this freedom you talk about? If I want to go for T4, I have to go for the maximum damage output and even if I wouldn't have to, why would I do anything else if any other build would merely be a self-imposed handicap?

A hilarious example of this "freedom" are crit weapons like Soma, the bows or the Synapse where the essential mods can easily take up 7 of your slots without giving you a valid alternative for any of them. You'll always end up with 1x damage, 1x multishot, 2x element, 3x crit. The last slot will usually be either another element, heavy caliber or Shred, occasionally ammo mutation for endless.

Conglaturation! We have a choice in one single mod slot. And even there not all mods are a valid choice, unless of course you deliberately want to give yourself a handicap.

It's not a matter of preference, what mods you use, it's just a matter of being efficient.

I very much agree with opinion that serration should be removed or in someway incorporated into weapon, plus rest like shred or multishot should be made into auras.

But on itself it won't be enough and all naysayers will be right.

It also needs to make other components of game to be more prominent and useful.

Right now, radiation proc means blue-ish glow on enemy, nothing else, unless you play very high level mission. Enemy dies before any of side effect of radiation proc mentioned in wiki can manifest itself. Plus, some of those proc's effects are not really useful so it make sense to go for damage instead of elemental damage. Elemental damage, player's skill and so on need to be factored in before nerfing/removing mandatory mods. But it needs to be done.

yea this is kinda makes me feel weird of other players arsenal build

IMO they're modding their gun full about dmg is because they playing public,they don't have to care about going down like..."oh damn i'm down while reloading,ah who cares my team will revive me"

i'm playing solo 80% all the time,i always balancing my arsenal with utilities

I've seen most best build always have HC,no punch through,no reload mod,all about dmg and my mind like "WTF what kind of crappy build is this"

and most of my arsenal always have reload speed mod,MUST have punchthrough,and no minus accuracy mods

heck i never saw displayed boltor prime builds with fast hands(i uses dat coz 2.4 reload time is too long and could get me killed) and punchthrough(why bother killing cramped enemies with 5 rounds when u can kill em all with just 1 round?)

to fix this i think DE should release more mods that capable to be swapped with dmg mods,because we still need dmg to kill currently

or more mod slots

I barely use heavy caliber and always use shred. Reload speed is nowhere near powerful enough to justify using it, though. 30% reload speed doesn't even remove one fourth of the time per reload. Clip capacity has the same problem of simply not adding enough bullets to your magazine to justify its use. If they had 90% each it would  be quite useful, but we can't have nice things. Instead we get rows of mod that are better versions of already existing mods (not only talking primed mods here)

I'm not advocating a deletion of pure damage mods like serration (and having the gun do more damage as it levels up? Even less so. But there are so many ways of handling it better

A- Reduce the effectiveness of the mod per level, to the point where it often isn't the most effective/cost effective way of getting dps. 

B- Have the mods cap out at five ranks, but have lots of different variations of the damage mods with dual stats. 

C- Have the cost increase increase as the mod levels (1,2,3,5,7,10,14...) and allow serration no polarity to protect against this. 

The only thing I really hate are Multishot mods. Period.

If you don't put a multishot mod then your weapon is, uhm, garbage. 

I know it's a game, with space ninjas, guys with trash cans in their heads, clones with bulges everywhere and so on, but I really can't stand the fact that my gun has a chance of shooting an additional bullet. Your weapon relies on luck to deal more damage by shooting a bullet that came from nowhere.

It's not a rant, 'cause, who cares about what irritates me, but I'm reluctant whenever I've to save a space for a multishot mod, and it occurs a lot of times as they're really needed. unless you only run missions on Mercury.

K now I can shut my mouth, wrote enough nonsense.

A- Reduce the effectiveness of the mod per level, to the point where it often isn't the most effective/cost effective way of getting dps. 

B- Have the mods cap out at five ranks, but have lots of different variations of the damage mods with dual stats. 

C- Have the cost increase increase as the mod levels (1,2,3,5,7,10,14...) and allow serration no polarity to protect against this. 

A - At which point the builds switch from serration for DPS to whatever other method for DPS.

B - A decent idea, but massively increases the difficulty in balancing the game.

C - Players will simply polarize other mods to get the points they need for their serration.

You're doing very little to address the underlying issue here. Status effects fundamentally can't compete with damage. An enemy who's frozen moves and fire at half speed. An enemy who's dead doesn't move or fire at all. Whether the damage increase is 10% or 1000%, people will always gravitate towards damage because of this.

Non-damage builds need to be made fundamentally useful with the same kind of broad applicability that damage builds enjoy. Anything else doesn't address the fundamental issue.

A - At which point the builds switch from serration for DPS to whatever other method for DPS.

B - A decent idea, but massively increases the difficulty in balancing the game.

C - Players will simply polarize other mods to get the points they need for their serration.

You're doing very little to address the underlying issue here. Status effects fundamentally can't compete with damage. An enemy who's frozen moves and fire at half speed. An enemy who's dead doesn't move or fire at all. 

A- That's not too bad. Yes there's still an optimal build for each weapon, But there'd be more variety in optimal builds

B- No harder in balancing than huge increases in base damage. 

C- Yeah I don't like this one much either. But then again: You'd need lots of forma. Anyone that dedicated can have their uber-gun. 

Ah, But if damage was less abundant, status would be more important. 

- Kill an enemy in 5 shots

- Or kill an enemy in seven shots, but for the last four shots he's unable to shoot back. 

A decent question. 

I think an outright removal of damage boosting mods could be one way to make the game more interesting, and tie damage with weapon levels. 

Elemental mods wouldn't give you 90% more electrical damage, but rather the benefits of having electrical damage would be 90% effective and so on...

Take damage vs. robotics with electrical damage for instance, normally your bullets do 50% more damage.

50 x 0.9 = 45% additional damage against robotics, rather than just increase your 100 damage snipetron into a 190 electrical damage snipetron. 

No wait... All I did was nerf the damage here, this wasn't what I intended.

Edited by TwiceDead

You know, this is a problem that doesn't need fixing. Add guns to compensate that. For example, a rifle with damage high enough to 1-shot everything in T4 unranked, but terrible reload time, fire rate, ammo pool etc. You say "but what if new players get it, this will trivialize content and make them ignore serration etc."

Mastery lock at 10.

It really is simple. All guns are modded for damage because there is no gun that already 1-shots anything without damage mods.

The only reason why "fun quirk builds" aren't viable in late game is because of levels. Simply because the weapon itself does not increase in power as it levels up.

Serration, Pressure Point, Hornet Strike, Point Blank. All these mods should not be "must haves". Simply put, the function of these mods should be built into the weapon's leveling itself. As the weapon you use levels up, their damage will increase, bit by bit.

You can still have these mods, but at BEST you get 50% damage increase at max rank of the mod. It has to be useful, but by no means should it be essential for the weapon to actually be usable in anything other then the first three planets.