Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Useless Mods Discussion

Domaik

Hello there everyone!

First warning for anyone: this is going to be a long topic.

Second, I'd love you to tag along and read all if possible and give your personal opinion or suggestion and have some brainstorming (?) to reach some cool ideas regarding what I'm going to discuss here.

Ok now let's get to it.

I have been playing Warframe for a year and 10 mons now and I don't see the end of my fun with this game... I have spent A LOT of real money in Warframe and I don't regret it. It's just so great! Thank you everyone at DE for making it possible.

But ever since I started and more and more lately I have seen certain mods for Warframes that are not used at all. Which brings me to create this thread to find the community's opinion and more important DE's opinion on these since they want this year to be a "quality" year...you could fit in "quality" a fix that makes certain mods useful so we actually have more interesting choices for our builds or simply remove these mods and intrude them with another system that gives us more stuff to do to improve our Warframes rather than just mods and more mods.

The mods I'm talking are the following:

Antitoxin Adds  Toxin damage resistance

Aviator

Reduces damage taken while airborne

Diamond Skin Adds  Radiation damage resistance

Flame Repellent Adds  Fire damage resistance

Handspring

Increases knockdown recovery speed

Insulation Adds  Cold damage resistance Intruder Increases hacking time

Lightning Rod Adds  Electricity damage resistance Provoked Increases damage dealt during bleedout

Rapid Resilience Reduces status duration on self

Reflection Damage is reflected back at melee attackers while blocking

Reflex Guard Warframe can automatically parry incoming attacks, and will always parry certain special attacks Retribution Adds chance to do  Electricity damage to melee attackers that damage your shields

Shock Absorbers Increases damage resistance when knocked down

Sure Footed Adds chance to resist knockdown

Undying Will Reduces bleedout rate

Warm Coat Reduces amount of shields lost to ice/cryo level hazard

Heavy Impact Heavy landings create damaging and stunning shockwaves

Now I would like you to have a look at this example of most voted community builds for Warframes and tell for yourself whether the community likes to use these mods or doesn't. Or you can just ask yourself if you would use it for any end game run or not even end game but your daily-routine build. Have you heard of many people using them?

Some of the most voted Warframe builds

Ash http://goo.gl/96EGDC

Banshee http://goo.gl/YJRj8G

Ember P http://goo.gl/gWm5V6

Excalibur http://goo.gl/mYMJss

Frost P http://goo.gl/GKe2A0

Loki P http://goo.gl/2w9deV

Mag Prime http://goo.gl/Dz7BlT

Mesa http://goo.gl/4TvgxW

Mirage http://goo.gl/DkP8Jv

Nekros http://goo.gl/UhdpzZ

Nova P http://goo.gl/0SAIQW

Nyx P http://goo.gl/Scf2cK

Oberon http://goo.gl/WJ1d0G

Rhino P http://goo.gl/hVHl52

Saryn http://goo.gl/w2u6jC

Trinity http://goo.gl/PnQBrG

Valkyr http://goo.gl/NvuLz9

Vauban http://goo.gl/RGixLb

Volt http://goo.gl/vcEf7i

Zephyr http://goo.gl/wgXwtQ

Not even a single build of those includes the mods, and those are the most voted and actually very viable builds (depends on person yes, they can change this or that here and there to adapt to each player )

But the point is that the mods I showed up there are not in any build. You can ask around or survey players if they use any of these mods in their builds and you will quickly find out that NO ONE does. And it's sad. At least for me it's sad, these are fun mods, they look fun to use but we cannot afford using them...These mods are currently a complete waste...completely useless in my opinion.

So a little bit of conclusion before I start with my personal suggestions is that these mods do not provide good enough or USEFUL enough stats to take the place of other mods that are pretty much stappled to our warframes such as Intensify, continuity, stretch etc etc. Therefore they are never used, we cannot afford to have these "crappy" mods take the place of one of the other important mods and given that we have very limited mods slots we can't afford it at all. It's not viable for the current enemies. Just go to ceres with a non decent build and you'll see yourself being shot to death almost instantly by those evil grineer...

Some of these mods, specially the ones about fire/cold/electricity/poison resistance usually make me wonder why do we even have them and sometimes even yield to questions like: why doesn't frost have it by defualt? this guy pops ice out of every inch of his body, his energy flows with ice why does he take ice damage or why doesn't he have raised ice defense...Same for ember, Volt and Saryn...But that's another issue that I'm not discussing here.

So what can we do to not lose these mods or have them being useless as they are right now?...and honestly with each update the enemies get deadlier and worse *cough* nullifiers *cough* and it's harder to doge the bullets most of the time...so the path for these mods and future looks very grim...

My personal suggestion is to have these mods removed and these effects included as passives that we can earn by doing certain tasks for certain people or what ever and with the addition of the Syndicates, mod augments and the new "Cephalon" comming to hubs there is plenty where to choose, we could even do really hard tests to earn these passives and have them attached to our warframes.

It would give us more variety on what to do. We would have to research training info and train for these things. And have different things from the original kill everything that moves style of playing. (that I by the way love and I don't mind to repeat over and over as I have been doing for the past 2 years since game was out)

This suggestion also applies to mod augments because in my opinion they are starting to take the same route. we cannot afford fitting them in our reduced slots... but this is my personal opinion.

Another personal suggestion is the addion of an exclusive mod slot such as the aura slot but only for these type of mods that would fit into the "utility" group...

Well thank you everyone for your time reading this, feel free to coment your opinion about this and offer suggestions or agreee with what others have already proposed.

I hope DE gets to see this thread too and even if they dont' like it or don't see it my way at least the idea gets to them and sees more community opinions for this.

EDIT:

And you all seem to be taking it as if I hated these mods when in fact I do love them and want to use them but I can't in most scenarios so I am upset and want them to be a possibility for us!

Edited by Domaik

Anyone who says handspring is useless deserves the knockdown death loop bombards will be happy to provide.

Can you fit it on your build though?

Just as an example My nova's MPrime slows them enough to not have a problem with their knockdown and it's not because I have handspring installed...Or not nova but any Warframe with a extreme slow or knockdown skill gets rid of that problem easily.

I would say infested stun-lock is far worse and it can be dealt with easily with Warframe skills and without the help of these mods.

But I'm not here to criticise personal user opinion on builds but to raise awareness of these mods reduced usability and raise awareness about it

Edited by Domaik

My personal suggestion is to have these mods removed and these effects included as passives that we can earn by doing certain tasks for certain people or what ever and with the addition of the Syndicates

Oh_Ok__by_ohokowlplz.png

+1

Edited by Awazx

Yeah, there's a LOT of useful mods in there. Just because it isn't in some build doesn't make it useless.

The only ones that are useless are the ones that need buffing or are way too situational (ex Diamond Skin, Lightning Rod, Flame Repellent, Warm Coat, Insulation)

What can we do so we can actually put these mods on our builds? Im entirely unsure, because adding more mod slots will just result in people putting the more useful mods in there like Vitality or something. It's almost impossible to make them worthwhile on putting on there. The only way I can see such thing happening is by adding something like "Bandaid" Slots, which make use and ONLY use of mods that we wouldn't normally put on our builds.

It's really hard to think of anything to do without making something too OP. Almost impossible in fact.

Edited by SgtFlex

Yeah, there's a LOT of useful mods in there. Just because it isn't in some build doesn't make it useless.

The only ones that are useless are the ones that need buffing or are way too situational (ex Diamond Skin, Lightning Rod, Flame Repellent, Warm Coat, Insulation)

I never said ALL the builds, I said the typical builds and most common builds that you want to be running in most of the missions you do lately will not include this and the general opinion of the community, not the forum community for the game community, is that these mods are to not be used...you can try to survey players that you find and see how many use these mods

And about the augment mods, that is jsut my very opinion and I know I'm quite alone in that one so don't bother commenting much on that...this post is not about the augment mods. But PERSONALLY and in my clan, we are running into the problem that we can't fit most augment mods...and some of them look really cool

Edited by Domaik

The only two mods I actually like/use on that list are undying will (useful when leveling a new frame or if your kubrow has poor luck staying alive) and heavy impact which I use with my Zephyr for double shockwave spams on her 2nd. Other than those two, I fully agree with you.

The only two mods I actually like/use on that list are undying will (useful when leveling a new frame or if your kubrow has poor luck staying alive) and heavy impact which I use with my Zephyr for double shockwave spams on her 2nd. Other than those two, I fully agree with you.

I'm aware of this combo and I'm also aware that it is very used indeed, it's nice, but take zephyr away and the mod has little use...can you even bother to jump from a considerable height in t4 just to proc heavy impact with a warframe other than zephyr? .__.

What can we do so we can actually put these mods on our builds? Im entirely unsure, because adding more mod slots will just result in people putting the more useful mods in there like Vitality or something. It's almost impossible to make them worthwhile on putting on there. The only way I can see such thing happening is by adding something like "Bandaid" Slots, which make use and ONLY use of mods that we wouldn't normally put on our builds.

It's really hard to think of anything to do without making something too OP. Almost impossible in fact.

Care to look at my personal suggestion and giving your opinion on them? =)

I'm very aware that adding more slots is not the solution. and you yourself are saying it...people would add "the more useful mods" making balance go nuts and people OP...so that is not a solution..

for me (duh) my first personal suggestion is the best looking (read original thread to see it) but a bandaid unique slot wouldn't be a bad idea either

Edited by Domaik

Can you fit it on your build though?

Just as an example My nova's MPrime slows them enough to not have a problem with their knockdown and it's not because I have handspring installed...Or not nova but any Warframe with a extreme slow or knockdown skill gets rid of that problem easily.

I would say infested stun-lock is far worse and it can be dealt with easily with Warframe skills and without the help of these mods.

But I'm not here to criticise personal user opinion on builds but to raise awareness of these mods reduced usability and raise awareness about it

I actually do use it on my main Nekros.

Not useful all the time for all builds and not useful enough are very different, and it's a little odd to see that as a problem given how often people complain about build homogenity

Another thing (that I did mention) is that the forum community is not the same as the game community. a lot of people in the forums do have an eye for things and think of using certain mods that others don't.... but the other % left of the community in game, that never checks the community sites or what ever, they usually jump to the easy builds and leave these mods away.

And you all seem to be taking it as if I hated these mods when in fact I do love them and want to use them but I can't in most scenarios so I am upset and want them to be a possibility for us!

i agree some off these mods could be passive skill with their own random activation and they could be gained through trails like the reward empty rank tests 9+ even the syndicate augments  (most are useless for example those for frost and oberon). I mean they're technically space "ninja". If not trail tests than trail missions or both.

Oh, don't worry, you'll soon see primed versions of all those mods in the Void Trader's inventory that'll fix all the problems with these mods being bad. /sarcasm

On a more serious note, I do agree with this. Maybe it should also extend to bad weapon mods, though. *cough* e.g. (Primed) Fast Hands *cough*

The moment I saw that Excalibur build I face-palmed... All legitimacy died at that very moment... A True warrior does not rely on their powers alone to fight.

First I would like to say. Steel charge? WHAT!? People actually use this? Ever? At all? I ONLY use energy siphon on ALL warframes. It is required for maximum survival based on the skills of the user! Excalibur is a PURE! Warframe. Corrupt mods are disgrace on him. He is an elite survival balance frame. This mods break his elite status, and sully his name. It is an absolute DISGRACE!!! Intensify is only good if you plan on fleeing alot. It along with blind rage barely makes the ability useful at all, and renders Excalibur no longer a high tier warframe. The build I have now allows him to excel in high tier areas such as T4 survival going the extra mile in brutal unrelenting blood thirsty combat.

Now then...

Diamond skin

Reflection

reflex guard

and any mods that help against being knocked down are quite useful for unique builds, and in the worst of environments such as missions with limited conclave, and the Gate crashers(the greatest event of all time. A sign of a hero warrior to the victors!) event. When your hindered in combat the only thing you can rely on is yourself THEN your guns THEN your abilities if they at all apply to the situation at hand in which case when it comes to surviving based on sheer skill it runs between hardly to never.

Also I would like to note adding the useless resistance to element mods as passives is rather pointless. Not only do the elements hardly hurt Warframes unless used by another warframe, but the resistance is rather overkill on a already high resistance. The thing is its just THAT. Elements are far more dreadful, and dangerous used by an actual player. Don't believe me? Play around with it in dojo arena where there are no rules. You will see first hand just how much more dangerous they are compared to when an enemy uses it. If anything these mods should be re-modified as special unique PVP only mods to help protect players against highly dangerous player used weapons, and abilities. (We really do need a blast resistance mod some day though)

Making them passives would be like peeing in the wind. We hardly have any issues with elements in the first place if NPC enemies are using them.

Edited by Arlayn

Magic the Gathering has cards like the mods you are talking about, and those cards are called hate cards. hate cards are cards designed to refute the oponent's strategy (Magic is predominantly pvp). Hate cards are further bolstered by the following two things:

1.) Some hate cards are like nightmare mods where the lesser effect is added to something else that is passable without the further utility bonus coming into play

2.) magic has a mechanism for switching out cards, this allows innefective mods for the situation at hand to be switched out for something more useful.

I'm aware of this combo and I'm also aware that it is very used indeed, it's nice, but take zephyr away and the mod has little use...can you even bother to jump from a considerable height in t4 just to proc heavy impact with a warframe other than zephyr? .__.

excal super jump

• 4 weeks later...

the way i see it is that when modding a frame our focus is on how to do more damage, or more utility because the enemies we face focus mostly on damage resistance either that be damage type or armor strength. As we progress through the game the enemies only get more difficult and at some point our weapons no longer become an options and for frames like sayrn that leads to nuking. An argument could be that in that  the aspect of difficulty that's when the team element of warframe comes into play. Which lead me into thing we need to discuss is how to do coop properly i'm not talking about clans or friends i'm talking about random meet ups and party specific runs. How are we supposed to be effective in that kind of environment especially when communication is not possible for example if one or more people in the group have no mic or keyboards.

I'll outline my thoughts:

Why i believe certain mods carry more weight than others?

* We need to do more damage/or we need to increase the effect of our chosen utility

* Enemies are build to deal and take large amounts of damage so we are conditioned to build frames and weapons that     do even more.

* In order to do deal with increasing enemies damage and resistance we have to loss essential mods in favor of even more damage and even more effective utility.

* The void/derelict makes us loot crazy.

Other topic lack of communication and promotion of good teamwork/sportsmanship.

* Random get together achieve only the minimum of what we/host are trying to achieve.

* Players leaving squad mid transition because of fear of loosing loot, leaving the squad one member short.

* Harassment of a player play style, frame type or rank.

Quick Solutions I've thought up:

* A system that encourage teamwork, example all member get a team buff or bonus for meeting a specific challenge like completing affinity challenges or reviving a certain number of times, no deaths, using abilities, being stealthy, no melee/melee only, no mod run, kubrow playtime, etc. And rewards could be higher credit bones, or credit multiplier, damage buff, damage resistance, elemental buff, kubrow buff, sentinel buff, weapon buff, melee buff, speed boost, replenish full energy, replenish full health, etc.

* And another system for non-sportsmanlike behavior.

* majority voted kick.

* Reputation.

* In Mission kick option for AFK/AFC player or player acting AFK/AFC for the purpose of collecting the reward for non of the work.(AFC away from controller)

-feel free to add on -

Edited by (XB1)Nlandry