Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elemental Damage Augments: Make Them Self-Buff Too!

Holeypaladin

So I'm looking at augments like shock trooper, fireball frenzy, etc.  They definitely bring some use to abilities that are normally scaled beyond the relevant range of high level missions by buffing allied damage... but they are generally useless when buffing your OWN damage and completely a waste of space for any sort of solo mission.

So how about allowing some sort of self-buff version of these mods?  Not sure exactly how to do it... maybe using it on an ally boosts both the ally's damage and your own?  And using it on your kubrow in solo mode does the same?  Sort of makes you use kubrows instead of sentinels when solo, but that's ok.... gives me a reason to use a kubrow instead of a scanbot/lootbot.

+1

Could make it like this:

Fireball Frenzy & Freeze Force: Every teammate in the AOE range gets buff.

Venom Dose: Every teammates in the explosion range of spores gets buff.

Smite Infusion: Projects will target nearby teammates and Oberon and give them buff.

Shock Trooper: Electric will chain to nearby teammates and Volt and give then buff.

Honestly, the only way I see myself using these elemental buff mods at all is if they rework them in some way to affect the whole squad when cast on a squad member (within a certain distance of that squad member). Squad comes together, cast once, 4 people buffed, back to business as usual. Of course, even better if you can just position yourself in the middle and self-cast it to buff everyon nearby. Would probably have to change it to not stack with multiple casts, though, but I'm fine with that.

While we're talking about these augments let's please make them easier to hit. Chasing my allies benny-hill style in order to body-hit them with a fireball that should have a splash area of effect anyway is just not very fun. 

Let Fireball have splash radius.

Let Shock chain to allies.

Let Smite's seekers buff allies.

Let Freeze frost a patch of ground that buff allies.

Let Venom pop-aoe's buff allies.

Individually body-shotting constantly moving allies is just tedious.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Pruhblem is, if you compare the buff to e.g. Contagion, which is melee-only... 

The self-buff is totally OP. It affects every gun, and costs only 25 energy, and lasts much longer.

The augment even affects other powers, so casting Contagion after the buff would be a buffed contagion to buff a weapon already buffed by the self-benefiting augment.

YO, DAWG.

xzibit_yo_dawg_render_by_kernelpanicx-d5

So it's totally imba. 

Edited by -TP-BrazilianJoe

Pruhblem is, if you compare the buff to e.g. Contagion, which is melee-only... 

I think it's universally agreed that Contagion being too weak is the real issue there.

It's literally just a Rank 4 Fever Strike that you have to spend energy to maintain - great before Damage 2.0 when it ignored armor, pretty 'meh' after. Other than Ballistic Battery (which can be used with Mesa's Peacemaker in a pinch), it's the only ability that requires a specific weapon equipped to function at all (making it outdated since the release of The Sword Alone) - even Valkyr and Excalibur's abilities get more mileage if you drop a melee weapon, before you get to their summoned melee. For its cost, it provides a buff only to the player; Speed provides a team-wide buff for a third of the cost, and Warcry slows enemies on top of benefiting the team. Seeing the problem?

However, for the elemental damage augments, they exist to encourage teamplay. If you're to get a buff from them, you should need to cast it on an ally to do so.

Edited by Archwizard

I think it's universally agreed that Contagion being too weak is the real issue there.

It's literally just a Rank 4 Fever Strike that you have to spend energy on - great before Damage 2.0, pretty crap after. Other than Ballistic Battery (which can be used with Mesa's Peacemaker in a pinch), it's the only ability that requires a specific weapon equipped to function at all (making it outdated since the release of The Sword Alone) - even Valkyr and Excalibur's abilities get more mileage if you drop a melee weapon, before you get to their summoned melee. For its cost, it provides a buff only to the player; Speed provides a team-wide melee buff for a third of the cost, and Warcry slows enemies.

However, for the elemental damage augments, they exist to encourage teamplay. If you're to get a buff from them, you should cast it on an ally to do so.

Sure, Contagion is way too weak. 

My argument for Contagion is that it should be modeled after Excalibur's exalted Blade. OF COURSE, since Contagion is a level 3 power, it wouldn't be as good. Wave attacks and auto-parry aka invulnerability demisphere would be first casualties. 

Until Contagion is reworked though, the Yo-Dawginess is still a fact though. 

Even if Contagion is reworked, we have Ember's accelerant. 

It increases fire damage - I haven't tested to check whether the toxin augment also buffs accelerant to do toxin damage as well, or combine both damage types into gas - which is how the augment is supposed to work! I even asked and got confirmation from the devs that the elemental damage buffs is supposed to combine. 

Besides buffing accelerant, it should also buff WoF, so the bonus damage would be doubled. 

That's a lot of buffs for a palsy 25 energy. 

(not that I am complaining)

The self-buff is totally OP. It affects every gun, and costs only 25 energy, and lasts much longer.

Self buff is totally OP while buffing teammates is not?

Let's face it, players are selfish, and nobody likes to be the one buffing teammates with these mods. It's not fun and you get nothing after making efforts. So why not make things easier for everyone?

The augment even affects other powers, so casting Contagion after the buff would be a buffed contagion to buff a weapon already buffed by the self-benefiting augment.

Your melee weapon get toxin damage from both Contagion and the augment mod. That's it. I don't really think it's a big deal.

Edited by yles9056

My argument for Contagion is that it should be modeled after Excalibur's exalted Blade. OF COURSE, since Contagion is a level 3 power, it wouldn't be as good. Wave attacks and auto-parry aka invulnerability demisphere would be first casualties. 

I think it should be scrapped for something that ignores what weapon she's using. None of her other powers care if she's melee, after all.

Selfbuffing with those augments, yes please!

Even if that only means getting half the bonus when benefitting from it yourself (to still emphasize the augments' teamplay focus), that'd be great, as I am of the opinion that NO augment should be useless solo (Soul Survivor could refresh minion duration and heal it to full health, no?)

As for Contagion... well, it's a really bland power in the first place. It and its augment could need a total rehaul.

Selfbuffing with those augments, yes please!

Even if that only means getting half the bonus when benefitting from it yourself (to still emphasize the augments' teamplay focus), that'd be great, as I am of the opinion that NO augment should be useless solo (Soul Survivor could refresh minion duration and heal it to full health, no?)

I still feel that the augment (as something that's equippable, and can be removed in teamplay, or perhaps even cast on Syndicate/Invasion/Rescue allies) can stand to be teamplay only.

As for benefiting from the buff, I think it should automatically buff you when you use it on an ally, but only for a third of the duration. You can cast it on multiple allies to stack the duration up to a cap (the max for an ally), but if you only have one then it's still possible, just less efficient.

Self buff is totally OP while buffing teammates is not?

Let's face it, players are selfish, and nobody likes to be the one buffing teammates with these mods. It's not fun and you get nothing after making efforts. So why not make things easier for everyone?

Your melee weapon get toxin damage from both Contagion and the augment mod. That's it. I don't really think it's a big deal.

I never said buffing others is not OP. those augments are in an uncanny valley of power. 

They are OP, but they are also sooo boring people usually don't equip them because of the reasons you have stated. If they weren't so OP they would be ignored to infinity and beyond.

THe augment buff also affects other powers being cast. So the melee weapon gets an agument buff, and contagion gets an augment buff, and the weapon gets the contagion autmented buff, being buffed twice. That's how the augment is supposed to work: buffs weapons AND powers.