The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Play "bullet Attractor"? And What Would You Like To See In An Augment / 2.0 - Let's Discuss!

Lactamid

As many of you are aware augments gets spawned around and voted on by the design council.
I've been playing around with Mag/Mag P lately and the augments. While doing this I tried to use her skills in optional ways to see what they could possibly be tuned too in the future.

What I came to is that bullet attractor if it will get an augment in the future could really be quite good.
Now the way I see most players using BA is sadly...not at all. But if they do it's usually just the "let's finnish this random enemy" click and away. Using what ever mods were there for another build.
But then there are those very random occurances where people use it for something else. Out of the things I've tried these are a few:

Inside the buble: Using a max range/ efficiency build your BA gets quite big and inside you can move around freely without getting hurt as long as the target lives. Using melee you can pick off any target you like.
This is great, but sadly enemies dies quickly, best use so far is in combo with well of life, haven't tried on mind controlled units yet, but that might be even better.

Outside the bubble: BA as a blocker to cover corridors or narrow passages works well but is also short lived.

Getting enemies to stay is also a problem, in the odd chance you get vauban on your side you may BA one of the captured enemies.

Far away: With a range build you can use BA to just get a larger targetting area which can be good for low accuracy weapons.

Now what could improve its use?

Mag Bullet Attractor augment/changes:

If an enemy is targetted by Bullet Attractor:
The enemy deals less damage. - this is mostly to let you stay in the bubble when melee'ing. One could also argue "the bullets got slowed down" or "the armor was harder to move in".
The enemy has a limited range (before fire returns to damage the enemy if not hitting anything). - building on the above assumption that the targets own bullets were affected.
If the enemy dies, Bullet Attractor jumps to the nearest enemy (continues if there is enough duration). This is really the game changer, if it can jump it' becomes a GREAT CC-tool for both offensive and defensive builds.
Going inside the bubble will cancel ranged weapons auto-tracking for Mag (allies). - Stepping inside the bubble Mag would have allready calculated the effects of the skill and counter-magnetized her bullets.

Grounded - An option would be to immobilize enemies that were targeted by BA - this would let you cut off areas more efficiently.

Delayed Damage - this would cater to the defensive side of BA letting you stay inside the buble, or closing off an area for a limited time.

Stand alone: If activated without a target BA creates a sphere that if under fire gathers ammo in the middle.
* If an enemy enters the sphere it will suffer all the damage acumulated by BA - a percentage of time damage decay.
* If an ally enteres the sphere their ammo will be restored (possible decay timer there too)

**Moving: same as above but fired in a direction. Might be to much like AMD?

Also:
Targetting an ally with Bullet Attractor:
Incomming fire refills ammo.
Slightly reduces damage?
Speeds up shield restoration?

So what do you think? How do you play Mag and especially Bullet Attractor? Can you think of any synergies?

Edited by Lactamid

Maybe something like banshee's sonar augument, killing one "attracted" enemy would cause this skill to be recast.

Problem is not many people build her for duration, since that is pretty much the only skill that benefits from duration if am not mistaken.

This is how i'd like Bullet Attractor to be (and i would actually always use it!)

The magnetic bubble generated at target's location do not only redirect all bullets to him,

it also redirects all bullets to all the possible targets within the area of effect!

Making it like a giant "Pinball of Death" where bullets can ricochet up to a maximum of 1-2-3-4 targets within Bullet Attractor.

Dmg bonus boost can either stay or be removed, number of max targets cant be increased by mods, if one dies a new one is picked.

Upon main target's death nothing happens, but when Bullet Attractor ends any bullet inside it gets bursted out of it in all direction for X meters

PS: this shouldnt be in this section btw

Edited by Phoenix86

This is how i'd like Bullet Attractor to be (and i would actually always use it!)

The magnetic bubble generated at target's location do not only redirect all bullets to him,

it also redirects all bullets to all the possible targets within the area of effect!

Making it like a giant "Pinball of Death" were bullets can ricochet up to a maximum of 1-2-3-4 targets within Bullet Attractor.

Dmg bonus boost can either stay or be removed, number of max targets cant be increased by mods, if one dies a new one is picked.

Upon main target's death nothing happens, but when Bullet Attractor ends any bullet inside it gets bursted out of it in all direction for X meters

yes, something like all enemies inside bubble receive 50% of damage would be great.

That shouldn't be a augment though, that should be the regular skill.

Making it like a giant "Pinball of Death" were bullets can ricochet up to a maximum of 1-2-3-4 targets within Bullet Attractor.

I was just thinking about this, except maybe not each bullet can hit X targets, but rather each target swirls around inside Bullet Attractor for X seconds, dealing damage to each enemy inside it every second. When the main target dies, have the Bullet Attractor stay where he dropped. When it ends, have each remaining bullet in the Bullet Attractor do damage to nearby enemies (maybe firing in a straight line at a new enemy and hitting any enemy on that vector out to X meters).

I could imagine a very fun combination with Vortex like this.

Maybe something like banshee's sonar augument, killing one "attracted" enemy would cause this skill to be recast.

Problem is not many people build her for duration, since that is pretty much the only skill that benefits from duration if am not mistaken.

Yeah that is probably the only skill that benefits from duration. But it would open up for varrying builds.

Yeah, I think that Bullet Attractor should be linked to the spot it is cast.  Bullets should all be attracted to any enemy inside of it.  It's fairly useless to me, as is.

Some combination of the above perhaps?

It'd be neat to see an Augment that causes the damage portion of Bullet Attractor to disarm foes it hits.

Could be useful, but a bit much like radial disarm perhaps. One at a time wouldn't hurt though.

I would've thought:

Bullet Repulsor - When cast on an ally, will redirect enemy fire away from them.

But that's basically a Zephyr Turbulence that you can cast on others.

I thought about that too, that's why I went with getting ammo. Ain't a skill in there that does that yet :)

interesting. new way to make it useful.

yes, something like all enemies inside bubble receive 50% of damage would be great.

That shouldn't be a augment though, that should be the regular skill.

Got to agree with the normal skill buff there.

My personal pick would be having the Attractor hop to a new victim when the first one dies.

That way, Mag would be worth biulding for duration (instead of just Polarise spam) and not completely redundant in the face of the Grineer.

And thats as a buff to the actual ability. BA is utter crap on its own and Mag is overdue for some welfare.

Edited by Dualstar

My personal pick would be having the Attractor hop to a new victim when the first one dies.

That way, Mag would be worth biulding for duration (instead of just Polarise spam) and not completely redundant in the face of the Grineer.

That is kind of the key feature for making it more useful imo. It would bring alot to the table, and having a useful cc-skill +bonus damage vs the grineer would be really sweet.

If the enemy dies, Bullet Attractor jumps to the nearest enemy (continues if there is enough duration). This is really the game changer, if it can jump it' becomes a GREAT CC-tool for both offensive and defensive builds.

I really like this one because as it is now the main problem is that the targeted enemy don't last long so most of the ability is wasted. It would allow to go for the full duration and to wipe out multiple enemies, no just one.

I really like this one because as it is now the main problem is that the targeted enemy don't last long so most of the ability is wasted. It would allow to go for the full duration and to wipe out multiple enemies, no just one.

Exactly. Unless you're up against a boss BA is a bit of a energy waste as it goes away really quickly (unless you have a underpowered weapon and you can't kill the mob anyway :D)

Or make the targeted enemy absorb all bullets that come into the sphere, and when the Bullet Attractor effect ends, that enemy explodes, dealing that damage to enemies within X distance to it.  Kinda like what Nyx's ability does.

Might be something for the existing skill, a way to make is scale better?

Now it explodes, but only for fixed damage iirc.

Edited by Lactamid

Hmm...honestly, I tend to use Bullet Attractor as a Priority target arrangement. So, Bombards, Gunners, Techs and any capture target that I have in my sights.

After that, barring the 'point at sphere, shoot' approach for Capture targets (Enemies in the way? Shoot over their head and hit their buddy as you move past), I mostly just have it as a personal 'target is in x position' ability. If they're still far away, with a pack of whatever inside shooting at me, then that isn't too much of an issue, effective cover. If they're on their own/mostly alone, it's easy enough to shred them to pieces without scoping for once.

Admittedly it's because of Bullet Attractor I like to use my Grakata with Mag, where possible.

As for augments...hopping whilst it still has time would be nice, although I'm honestly not sure what 'else' I might like. I already mod my guns for punch through so adding it would be immensely redundant, hmm...

Perhaps some manner of 'residual'; enemies that enter/are within/pass through the area of effect are, for 1/x amount of time of the duration, have a 'mini' attractor effect on themselves at 1/y the diameter of the original attractor. So...Basically make it function like Venom, perhaps. Maybe that'd be ridiculous though.

Bullet Attractor is an odd skill. Fairly unique, offers an interesting notion, problem is how do you make that appealing when most weapons have nigh perfect accuracy at range? Maybe some 'slingshot' trait so things fired into it have a 50% chance of being amplified and 'fired' at a target outside of the bubble for .n more damage than it would originally do?

I'm admittedly out of ideas at this point.

General Discussion isn't the place for feedback threads, please read and understand:

Moved to the proper section.

I'd argue it wasn't initially a feedback thread but maybe closer to fan concept but what ever, it's moved.

Hmm...honestly, I tend to use Bullet Attractor as a Priority target arrangement. So, Bombards, Gunners, Techs and any capture target that I have in my sights.

After that, barring the 'point at sphere, shoot' approach for Capture targets (Enemies in the way? Shoot over their head and hit their buddy as you move past), I mostly just have it as a personal 'target is in x position' ability. If they're still far away, with a pack of whatever inside shooting at me, then that isn't too much of an issue, effective cover. If they're on their own/mostly alone, it's easy enough to shred them to pieces without scoping for once.

Admittedly it's because of Bullet Attractor I like to use my Grakata with Mag, where possible.

As for augments...hopping whilst it still has time would be nice, although I'm honestly not sure what 'else' I might like. I already mod my guns for punch through so adding it would be immensely redundant, hmm...

Perhaps some manner of 'residual'; enemies that enter/are within/pass through the area of effect are, for 1/x amount of time of the duration, have a 'mini' attractor effect on themselves at 1/y the diameter of the original attractor. So...Basically make it function like Venom, perhaps. Maybe that'd be ridiculous though.

Bullet Attractor is an odd skill. Fairly unique, offers an interesting notion, problem is how do you make that appealing when most weapons have nigh perfect accuracy at range? Maybe some 'slingshot' trait so things fired into it have a 50% chance of being amplified and 'fired' at a target outside of the bubble for .n more damage than it would originally do?

I'm admittedly out of ideas at this point.

I think there are quite a few features that would make BA a better skill. The accuracy thing is as you say a small part of the game and as it initially was a big part of what it did it may need some new features. Also with that damage boost and hopping targets it would be a skill that could help you take out a crowd rather fast. With enough range you could target the first in a line and then just shoot. The targets quickly getting killed and the sphere moving back. Punch through might exit the other side or add a multiple hit thing?