The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

As amusing as this "I'm right you are stupid go home!" Posting is, can we chill out now please?

Only thing I can't get past is the lack of defenition in the model. It's like they only added a low-rez normalmap and rendered it anyway.

I still maintain Chroma is supposed to be an old warframe that connects to the Proto Rhino monster in Rhino Prime Codex.

Because nomatter what you think of The look, it looks like an infested monster - go read Rhino Prime codex again and tell me what you think.

If the dragon theme frame looks anything but like something dragon themed then something went wrong and it needs to be fixed. Mainly I think the issue is DE not communicating with the player base enough. Sure they browse the forums but they never ask us directly. They rarely talk with the community. There needs to be more of that. More communication. Especially when making community requested frames. 

My salt > your salt. Now go sit in a corner after you clean up the mess you made.

If the dragon theme frame looks anything but like something dragon themed then something went wrong and it needs to be fixed. Mainly I think the issue is DE not communicating with the player base enough. Sure they browse the forums but they never ask us directly. They rarely talk with the community. There needs to be more of that. More communication. Especially when making community requested frames. 

My salt > your salt. Now go sit in a corner after you clean up the mess you made.

*Starts Tossing Brick Salt*

I remember Davey Jones having a hat, a crab claw and a peg leg. So anything pirate related rips off the pirates franchise? Had they used the liquid mercury style, there'd be complaining that he ripped off the T-1000. We could say Rhino rips off the NGR troops from Rifts. Limbo rips off traditional magicians. Zephyr rips off..... birds.

Adhering to a theme too strictly is a very bad thing from a design sense. In the case of Hydroid he has all the similarities necessary to make him a copy instead of something original. Regarding the T-1000, I'm not talking about giving him sunglasses and police uniform but having parts of his model actually flow would sell the idea that he can liquify himself.

As for the rest, well you are just generalizing to try and make your point seem valid. Zephyr does not look like a bird and is only strongly influenced by the aerial theme. Limbo, in contrast, looks like an actual magician with bad flairing pants and all. Also, the whole top hat animation just doesn't belong in Warframe but DE did it to further sell the theme. In the end its more about the theme than fitting with the overall art style of Warframe. Chroma is no different in this regard.

Everyone is making arguments about Chroma's helmet and design, and I'm just sitting here waiting for him to be released.

I agree. Been dying to play a new frame for months, Mesa was not that fun for me.

I can't wait to color Chroma. His design looks fun to color.

I honestly think, as an artist, that this is a bad design.

And I'm not saying it looks bad, it looks great. What I am saying is

that the looks dont resemble what the frames abillities ect. are.

If you create someone/thing with a specific purpos (in this case, a dragon-themed frame)

then the look should resemble that. It should be crystal-clear

what this frame is based on - mostly so people acctually understand what

it is supposed to be. Like ember, you could tell she's got something

with fire going on. Or Hydroid - same thing.

Otherwise it's bad character-design imo. 

I mean, I've sketched something within 15 minutes that looks more dragon-like.

Just think about what a dragon often has. Horns? Wings? Scales? Thick Armor? Where is that

in their design?

7a6a3c9e47.jpg

*runs*

Edited by CatlinGun

What the fans wanted was something that doesn't belong in the Warframe universe at all. Be it a Dragon-Rhino or an actual humanoid dragon, neither would fit the design of the other Tenno. Most, if not all Tenno look warped or wrong in some way with inhuman physiology and would be quite unnerving to behold IRL thanks to the uncanny valley effect.

I think that there is no real reason to over do the designs and try to make them more complex and wierd than they should be in the way that the "theme" works.

the way that warframe originaly worked with the "themes" was that the tenno were "warriors/ninjas" that represented those themes. for example frost "the warrior of ice" or ember "the warrior of the fenix/fire (fenix helment)" or even more comoonly mentioned Rino is a warrior representing the strong armored aspect of a rhino IT IS NOT A RINO ITSELF, as some of you had acurately say.

I would like to think that the warframe themes are like the astek warriors "themes for the warriors to represent"

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/aztec-warrior-jump.jpg

but some how over time the themes started to take over the base design of a warframe and this warriors started to look more like the theme they where trying to represnt than actual warriors/ninjas.

so yeah in some cases its ok in others they look strange, but what the comuinity wanted in an extreeeemly un-coordinated way was a "DRAGON WARRIOR" (interpretating that a warframe its a warrior/ninja). and then DE presents this monster (i can't call it dragon) that even if they tried to find some non-cliche/ standard /comoon /stereotype of representing a "dragon" they didn't even make a warframe for start. and i think that is the really big problem that many of us can't stand, that "chroma" looks like an infested boss or any other thing but it doesn't look like a warframe.

even by remooving the context of the "dragon" that allready put the standards really high, even by saying its, i don't know an elemental warframe, it doesn't look like a warframe at all, and the result would be almost the same, people saying "WTF IS THAT?"

ultimatley also with the risk of beeing too superficial, the players always search to relate with the hero or character that they chose to play with. and so few would relate to some deformed monster.

but then if you give us some bad ! looking warriror there would be some divide opinions that say "that is COOL" or "its too comoon" or "not original at all" and stuff but man at least i think that is way better than most of the people just saying "IUUK THAT IS DISGUSTNG!"

ps: oberon dangerously near this kind of look too. (in my opinion)

Edited by Jsarkany88

I think that there is no real reason to over do the designs and try to make them more complex and wierd than they should be in the way that the "theme" works.

the way that warframe originaly worked with the "themes" was that the tenno were "warriors/ninjas" that represented those themes. for example frost "the warrior of ice" or ember "the warrior of the fenix/fire (fenix helment)" or even more comoonly mentioned Rino is a warrior representing the strong armored aspect of a rhino IT IS NOT A RINO ITSELF, as some of you had acurately say.

I would like to think that the warframe themes are like the astek warriors "themes for the warriors to represent"

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/aztec-warrior-jump.jpg

but some how over time the themes started to take over the base design of a warframe and this warriors started to look more like the theme they where trying to represnt than actual warriors/ninjas. 

so yeah in some cases its ok in others they look strange, but what the comuinity wanted in an extreeeemly un-coordinated way was a "DRAGON WARRIOR" (interpretating that a warframe its a warrior/ninja). and then DE presents this monster (i can't call it dragon) that even if they tried to find some non-cliche/ standard /comoon /stereotype of representing a "dragon" they didn't even make a warframe for start. and i think that is the really big problem that many of us can't stand, that "chroma" looks like an infested boos or any other thing but it doesn't look like a warframe.

even by remooving the context of the "dragon" that allready put the standards really high, even by saying its, i don't know an elemental warframe, it doesn't look like a warframe at all, and the result would be almost the same, people saying "WTF IS THAT?"

ultimatley also with the risk of beeing too superficial, the players always search to relate with the hero or character that they chose to play with. and so few would relate to some deformed monster.

but then if you give us some bad ! looking warriror there would be some divide opinions that say "that is COOL" or  "its too comoon" or "not original at all" and stuff but man at least i think that is way better than most of the people just saying "IUUK THAT IS DISGUSTNG!" 

Pretty much sums it up. IMHO DE has never done anything better than Excal in terms of looks. He is sleek, simple and elegant while still being warrior/ninja in techno-organic suit of armour. 

Chroma is beast-like, clunky more animal than a futuristic warrior. 

since black is not a color = Chroma won't make any dmg with his abilities.

Thread solved o3o

srsly:

I have no idea :s Same goes with white....

Maybe it will just have a basic dmg or something like that? (impact? puncture? Slash?) :3

and ty for the funfact ^-^

edit: yes, white is probably frost/cold.... but still o.o

Edited by Fabpsi

I'd like to point out that Chroma doesn't have wings, they're stubs attached to his shoulders.

Overlapping scales? His armour looks like strands of muscle and his belly looks plated and only the latter is found on the exterior of some dragons.

The main issue people have is not with his design but rather what we were told, We got told we were having a dragon inspired frame, yet we got this... Thing

This thing that is clearly inspired by dragons, yes.