The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Woa Woa Woa Hold On A Minute, 14 Million Players?

havikryan

Probably 1-2% of the 14 million players actually pay money, as is the usual case with F2P games. 

So that's about 1.4 to 3 million players that pay money. 

That puts WF about as successful as some minor successful triple-A titles, for example Dishonored. 

I haven't heard why using such metrics is good or sound. It is market speak. Best case scenario, 14 million accounts is cited because everybody else cites accounts (and usually doesn't bother clarifying, its accounts). I would be curious how many accounts are active. I also wonder how much Steam in a true indicator of the player base. It seams so obvious that everyone on PC plays Warframe via Steam, but is that true? 

DE is so good with communicating with its community. Please share these metrics too.

Probably 1-2% of the 14 million players actually pay money, as is the usual case with F2P games. 

So that's about 1.4 to 3 million players that pay money. 

That puts WF about as successful as some minor successful triple-A titles, for example Dishonored. 

Would that value be based on one quarter? If its one quarter then Warframe pulls in Dishonored money four times a year.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

It has about 22,000 concurrent players on Steam. Either 90% of the playerbase is on consoles or the popularity is nowhere near WoW's max. I feel like DE is just referring to accounts created.

so tired of ppl yapping about Steam and Warframe. You guys realize that you can just... log in normally... without logging into something else first... to play this game?

It seams so obvious that everyone on PC plays Warframe via Steam, but is that true? 

I know I don't. Just projecting from what I've seen here on the forums, I'd say 20-30% play without steam.

Also, let's not forget that the steam stats are somewhat misleading as well. They only show online players. My account would be considered active as I play regularly, but I'm not always online.

I'd say divide the number of accounts by half.

The more I think about it the more I want to see a more granular break down of the numbers. Console membership is almost an exponential growth potential. Last report figure has PS4 membership at approaching 2 million accounts, and that was awhile ago. With the XBONE in the mix and competition heating up between the two, they might approach or surpass previous console gen in units. PS4 conversion was approaching (I estimate) 30-40%. If the conversion even stays at half that and the Console market hits 50 million (PS4+XBONE) we could be talking about millions of accounts being added to Warframe.

The other issue is how much user retention there is. And even more interesting is how many users are monetized. If, elele is right and its around 1-2% than fine, but a more solid idea would help. I have been hanging out on Cambria and Gaia to help new players, and I can tell that many of these players are struggling. Much work is needed to ease the new players in and convert them to paying customers.

This is extremely unlikely, like many others have said, it's probably just accounts made.

If the game actually had that many daily hits, it'd be all over the web. Which.. it isn't.

It's the same with many MMOs. Like World of Warcraft and their "13-Million" players ad campaign. Turns out only a fraction were active subscribers.

So it is just like WoW! :P

Would that value be based on one quarter? If its one quarter then Warframe pulls in Dishonored money four times a year.

Conversion rate is usually life-time. But after some further thought, the 2% is probably too low for a game like WF. For example, 

PC online
  • Tribes Ascend10% conversion rate (source: Gamasutra, July 2013)
  • Team Fortress20-30% (probably lifetime), according to Gabe Newell in a must-readGeekwire interview.
  • ATB, Reloaded: 7%, but their target is 10% according to Bjorn Book-Larsson speaking at GDC 2012
  • World of Tanks, Wargaming.net: 30% (probably lifetime) (source: Edge)
  • AI War, Arcen Games: 15% lifetime conversion (source: Cliffski’s blog comments)
  • Autoclub Revolution, Eutechnyx: 9% lifetime conversion (source: The A List, 6/28/12)

http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/11/conversion-rate/

I would put Warframe above Tribes Ascend (that game has too few things to spend money on) but below Team Fortress 2. So maybe 20% of those 14 million players have paid money. 

The game has been released all over the world, of course it's going to have a lot of accounts. 

WoW had that many accounts because at that point it was the only MMO that was released in a bunch of countries.

Any MMO\Online game that is released in a bunch of places gets a bunch of accounts.

Blizzard made it a thing because it was good PR. WoW was not the first MMO to get millions of subs.