Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing - Please Put Us In Space Already?

Old_King_Belgothia

I think the issue is that any space sim has a space sim HUD, while Archwing just has a reskinned TPS HUD.

As an example, I was just doing some combat in Star Citizen and a bug broke my minimap, crosshairs, and all beacons. Suddenly I had no reference elements if I got spun, meaning that I would have to spin around looking for a landmark to tell me where I was. It was suddenly much more disorienting simply because the UI wasn't there.

In short, Archwing is planarly locked because DE didn't have time to make a real UI.

well thats a poor excuse for having a lazily designed and poorly executed game mode.

they need to add a real UI or SOMETHING. cause I'm tired of wasting my time with events that use AW.

actualy, i would like to have giant ships as normal encounters, dog fighting is ok, but they are too small to feel their design

Well I like it but Archwing DOES need more dynamic.

Archwing Assassination would not be a bad idea, nor would uncommon tougher/bigger encounters. There's nothing wrong with fighting big enemies, do it all the time in standard WF play. Somebody marks it and we gather to take it out. Smaller maps though... probably not, I can agree there. Scaling is a minor issue though, but that is not with the map.

Woah, that was an old comment. Uhm, sorry about that I musta' been half asleep and only responded to the idea of making the maps smaller. I'm quite against smaller maps, I love being able to fly around and get that feeling of zipping around really quickly in a nice roomy map that you never need be concerned with borders.

Bigger enemies on the other hand I LOVE the idea of :D Hell make some -very large- enemies have borderline invulnerability through DR save for their weak points. Mind you I don't mean that they should ever be fully invulnerable with vulnerability "phases" (Like most of the bosses in the game). But have weak points that are constantly available to players who aim carefully.

The Falorians (I know I spelt that wrong) were a great example of weak points done right. In the first stage you could only "damage" it by attacking it's two shield generators. These Generators were never indestructible, but they were still a challenge in their own way to get to. On a smaller more mobile (but still much larger then anything in Archwing currently) enemy, this would be really fun to be up against. Maybe something that hangs back and lays down fire.

Or maybe even proper fighter ships!! something that hits hard and fast but only attacks in bursts as it does "bombardment runs" Has pretty bad maneuverability but is -very- fast.

I'm just babbling on about neat enemy ideas now.. but yeah I'd love bigger meaner enemies.

Well I mean all you'd have to do to stop "sliding" is release the "slide" key. I meant you should keep "sliding" forever so long as you hold the key down. Or toggle it if that's ever implemented for Archwing.

i think the reason (mechanically) why we cannot have infinite "slide" is because it uses the systems used by warframes, where when you sprint you use up stamina, but by sliding you regain stamina. having infinite slide would equal infinite stamina

i think the reason (mechanically) why we cannot have infinite "slide" is because it uses the systems used by warframes, where when you sprint you use up stamina, but by sliding you regain stamina. having infinite slide would equal infinite stamina

That would be a solid argument. However we can already achieve the same effect by pulsing the slide key instead of holding it down. I suppose it could be looked at as either:

A Bug which allows players to get limitless stamina if used properly

or

An Oversight which prevents players from experiencing one of the best parts of high skill space combat.

It seems they should consider scrapping Archwing for space combat and keep it for the underwater tilesets considering all the points expressed on what it's failing to engage. I'd rather they take look at games like Elite Dangerous, Space Engineers, and Star Citizen and use the Archwing mechanic for our Lisets instead. Either that or consider a catch and throw mechanic that would allow for sports like contests between players using the Archwing.

This thread has covered space battle pretty thoroughly and kudos to the guy bringing up Descent. I loved that game. But there are a lot of other uses for space flight that can be just as much fun and engaging that could be touched on to shore up Archwing's appeal down the road.

I mean take the Dojo. I would love for new rooms and halls that support the Archwing to get around in. The obstacle courses dojo builders could concoct would be amazing for this community and add some life to the dojo. There are other avenues to explore with Archwing that could catch on with the space sim player base.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Game mode is abandoned, get over it.

Abandoned is a strong word.

Development of the game takes years; it will take months before they will return to that mode, but it's not really abandoned anymore than any other part of the game which currently requires and update and will be updated in the future.

You must understand what

And there is a schedule; one thing goes after another.

Regardless, on-topic: yeah, archwing needs work. I dunno, I don't think what free Dead Space 2-esque camera would be too disorienting, but there are more important changes to be made before that, like map's display improvement.

Edited by Prospal

We should definitely have the option. I hate it when some enemy flies past below me and I have to stop aiming, turn in place, then try to re-acquire it.

As for archwing being "abandoned", they just showed off new content for it (albeit by accident) the devstream before last.

Edited by motorfirebox

Abandoned? Um... sure. Whatever.

Wishful thinking of haters won't change the fact that it IS a game mode now.

All I really want is a missile lock warning. Something to scream at me 'HEY! HURT COMING IN! DO SOMETHING! NOW!' when those Hellions start unloading at me. By the time you hear the 'whoosh', you are dead if you stop even for a moment to shoot.

There are  lot of other things that could be improved. The minimap radar needs help. The ability so move in any direction like a real spacecraft would be very cool. And I WOULD like to see the ability to follow enemies or allies.

But all that said, I still have fun with it. It is in space and I get to shoot things and slice them with a huge sword.

Edited by Kalenath

• 4 weeks later...

DE said this was too disorienting in testing. It seems to me that waypoint markers and such would help, so I'm hoping they change their minds.

this makes me so angry , TELL me DE why do you choose FOR ME if its to disorientating, YOU KNOW ME THAT GOOD? i can handle it... just give me a option to switch it on and off in options and il stfu about it

• 3 weeks later...

Well then, with Sharkwing we now have a real "up" and "down" orientation in the environment. And yet we still have those restrictions that were allegedly made because "free movement is too confusing", but in reality are just a hindrance. So please, can we get rid of the gimbal lock and instead get a key (or key combo) that turns us upright again after too much messing around?

Thay could always make the jump button return you to an upright stance right?  

Yeah, jump and/or crouch, since those are the go up/go down commands.

And for those who still find it to disorienting, just put a toggle in options to lock gimbal the way it is currently.

Edited by motorfirebox

• 2 months later...

Just do what ACE Online does: Advanced control toggle. This will allow people who can handle full 3-d maneuvers to have the range of motion they desire, while players new to archwing or those who otherwise don't want that style of movement can have a somewhat more basic movement scheme.

Considering there's no archwing PvP (yet), this won't really hinder anyone.

Edited by Xrkr