Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Amprex Or Opticor?

-ODIN-Bibimbap

Question

I wanted to grab a new energy-based weapon to see how they work out (never used one before) and I've been slowly building up my Fieldron after my Helios, 

basically is the Amprex or Opticor better for CC? And how would I go about modding, which weapon will I tire of easily?

I'm the type to run into a midst of Grineer/Corpus and spam CC abilities, but since I don't enjoy that as much lately, which weapon would be best for me? 

Edited by Lonewulfe7

Amprex is much better for CC, the Opticor's strength is in insane single-target damage.

For the Amprex, you'll need a couple Forma in it before it will start decimating things, but once it does it will murder entire groups in less than a second due to the chaining.  Go with crit damage and chance, heavy calibur, split chamber, and then either 3 elemental damage mods, or 2 elemental damage mods and a maxed rifle ammo mutation if you need the Amprex to last ~40 minutes in survival.

Amprex is plain dps and cc, works best in huge crowds. It is a pain in the butt to put forma on, but you know, there's ways to level without using them...

Opticor does insane damage to single targets, but some people claim a firestorm build has cc to it.

Personally I like amprex best, for any situation.

I would like to note that the opticor is NOT a "single target" anything. It paints the point at the end of the beam while charging, and when released, causes a large explosion, cable of killing dozens of units.

EDIT: The *actual* difference is speed versus distance.

The opticor has apparently infinite range, but takes, at default, almost 3 full seconds to fire once.(This can be whittled down with mods to under 1 second, but it takes a number of slots). It also burns ammo slowly, but takes forever to reload.

The amprex, on the other hand, gives instant gratification. Everything is instantly lit up with electricity around you, practically no aiming required--it's just completely impractical beyond 10m range. You can also eat 100% of your ammo reserves in under 20 seconds, so learning how to manage your ammo is very important, and ammo mutation mod is a practical must.

Both are excellent CC, but both have vastly different play styles.

Edited by Llyssa

The two guns have fairly different play styles. 

Opticor make sure to put shred and VA on it to punch thru enemies and shorten it's charge time. When it shoots, it may not be obvious, but it actually hits everything in a cylinder radius to the beam and explodes on first solid object, but with punch through it will still keep going. It does take a bit of getting use to the charge up but i swear once you get the hang of it and the two mods mentioned it will become very enjoyable.

So it is a aoe cylinder of death that also has an explosion on first impact.

The Amprex though is more of a in your face zapping hordes to death type of weapon.

So it comes down to what you mentioned about not being into the jump into the horde type action anymore, which I would suggest the Opticor.

The Opticor is one of my fave weapons and ya, it's just so damn cool. Big laser of death? Yes sir, sign me up.

The Opticor requires time and space to use well, but does massive damage. The Amprex slaughters tight groups, and can take down heavier units, but is range limited and burns through ammo.  As far as usefulness when running into a group and attacking them, Amprex all the way.  With all the dual-stat event mods and Split Chamber, it even gets a great proc chance.

Thanks guys!

I will eventually obtain both, but right now Fieldron missions are quite hard to find, they're all detonite and mutagen mass :)

Note: You can also build fieldrons by buying the research. It's fairly cheap, it just takes a bit of time(12 hours per fieldron made).

If you go the route of Amprex a bit of advice, have a ammo mutator for it and use Nekros to level it for the first 20 levels.  If not you will be dropping ammo packs a lot.  But factor in at least 4 forma to get the best out of it, ideally 5.  

At this point I have only 2 Formas on my Amprex and it still rocks.

Basic mods aren't maxed and with a 3rd Forma this will shock down hordes of nasties.

I like it against Infested as they tend to swarm a lot which makes it easy.

With the Sinister Reach mod, it goes a long way, coupled with Split Chamber, it arcs all over the place.

Add the Ammo Mutation, and you don't need to worry about ammo conservation.

I might also add that with Volt's shield, the Amprex is just insane: maximum range with 100% added critical damage, red crits everywhere, you feel you're in a Pink Floyd light show.

Edit: I found leveling Amprex more fun than the Opticor, which is essentially an energy bow. My Opticor is still at lvl 8 or something. 

Edited by Gwenwed

Critical Hit + Headshot = 8x Base Damage. (2x crit Mult times a 4x headshot multiplier.)

I can achieve 92k Red Crits on Heavy Gubners with my Amprex.

The Amprex has a higher red crit chance than Opticor's Reg Crit. And, if you dont crit, its a 2x damage boost. Therefore, when you headshot with the Opticor, you only do 25% damage when non critting compared to a crit. The Amprex crits 100% lf the time meaning that headshots from Amprex will always out damage a head shot from an Opticor.

Thus, your picture is irrelevant.

Edited by Sanjyushi

I wanted to grab a new energy-based weapon to see how they work out (never used one before) and I've been slowly building up my Fieldron after my Helios, 

basically is the Amprex or Opticor better for CC? And how would I go about modding, which weapon will I tire of easily?

I'm the type to run into a midst of Grineer/Corpus and spam CC abilities, but since I don't enjoy that as much lately, which weapon would be best for me? 

The Optiprex. 

The most overpowered weapon you're not using Limited-Time offer, this second only! 

Amprix is better for CC, it arks damage and does it consistently to enemies around you. 

Opticor shoots one target every now and then. 

Critical Hit + Headshot = 8x Base Damage. (2x crit Mult times a 4x headshot multiplier.)

I can achieve 92k Red Crits on Heavy Gubners with my Amprex.

The Amprex has a higher red crit chance than Opticor's Reg Crit. And, if you dont crit, its a 2x damage boost. Therefore, when you headshot with the Opticor, you only do 25% damage when non critting compared to a crit. The Amprex crits 100% lf the time meaning that headshots from Amprex will always out damage a head shot from an Opticor.

Thus, your picture is irrelevant.

Yeah no. even my base damage is high enough to kill it with 30k, opticor doesn't rely on critical damage, it relies on high puncture damage, message me when your amprex can aoe with long range pinpoint accuracy. 

Edited by IAmLeslie

Yeah no. even my base damage is high enough to kill it with 30k, opticor doesn't rely on critical damage, it relies on high puncture damage, message me when your amprex can aoe with long range pinpoint accuracy.

uhm...

I never said Opticor was weak?

I only stated that the picture you posted was irrelevant because it was due to factors that are not very likely to happen IE a 15% crit chance?

And the OP didn't ask for Damage? The op asked for CC? So explain to me again why you thought itmatter to post damage?

Pinpoint accuracy lol.

Msg me when you can hit a running target without missing 50% of your shots lol

uhm...

I never said Opticor was weak?

I only stated that the picture you posted was irrelevant because it was due to factors that are not very likely to happen IE a 15% crit chance?

And the OP didn't ask for Damage? The op asked for CC? So explain to me again why you thought itmatter to post damage?

Pinpoint accuracy lol.

Msg me when you can hit a running target without missing 50% of your shots lol

easily punch through. Kthxs, how do you think i solo capture key. plus, u can still CC. just put electricity on the opticor as one of the builds for stunning Kthxs. Posted it because u said x8 base (2multipler X 4headshot multiplier) you're basically stating my fact that my base is high, since i'm able to do easy 100k criticals. Message me when you can last longer in void before your ammo runs out. kthxs cause by the time you run out of ammo, you'll be running around scavenging for ammo, while i'll be covering your back with the opticor in t4 wave 45 defense kthxs. Btw don't talk to me about aiming, your amprex is low accuracy, you'd be chasing the guy u have to capture all over the map lfmao 

Edited by IAmLeslie

easily punch through. Kthxs, how do you think i solo capture key. plus, u can still CC. just put electricity on the opticor as one of the builds for stunning Kthxs. Posted it because u said x8 base (2multipler X 4headshot multiplier) you're basically stating my fact that my base is high, since i'm able to do easy 100k criticals. Message me when you can last longer in void before your ammo runs out. kthxs cause by the time you run out of ammo, you'll be running around scavenging for ammo, while i'll be covering your back with the opticor in t4 wave 45 defense kthxs.

This post made me laugh more than anything. Thanks.

I'm not even comparing weapons. OP ask for CC, and you posted damage. And you posted one weapon's damage without considerin the other.

"This sandwich tastes good. Better than that other one I haven't tried."

You're derailing the thread.

ANYWAY. The Amprex has the chaining effect and comes with a very respectable Status chance and damage, OP. If that isn't Crowd Control, I don't know what is :)