Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Omg Tonbo(Giri)!

Orbister

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that immediately thought of the Tonbogiri.

Too bad that the Tonbo is (another) polearm, not a spear.  Would have been cool to make it a spear and release it alongside Lancer.

I know Spears and Lances are different things.

Edited by Katakuna

So Tonbogiri is a spear, but we got a polearm.

That's some respect all right lol

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that immediately thought of the Tonbogiri.

Too bad that the Tonbo is (another) polearm, not a spear.  Would have been cool to make it a spear and release it alongside Lancer.

I know Spears and Lances are different things.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So Tonbogiri is a spear, but we got a polearm.

That's some respect all right lol

Naginata is not a spear. Nope. Long pole. Blade. Nope. Not a spear. Anime says so and it knows far better than history after all.

And TECHNICALLY, any weapon with a blade on a pole is a polearm. Tie a Bowie knife to the end of a stick and it is a polearm. Not a GREAT one, mind you. Spear = polearm.

This one is kind of cool.

The Codex entry ALSO implies that there was either limited access to ammunition in the Old War or REALLY GOOD reasons not to shoot projectiles at things. Why use a blade on a stick if you can use a gun?

You don't.

Tenno are not stupid (despite many random groups trying to prove otherwise), so... there had to be a reason they used this as a primary weapon.

Even a low tech (or 'no tech' - Mag Prime codex entry) firearm [matchlock or flintlock] is FAR superior in range and stopping power to a polearm. So... what? Lack of ammunition or enemies resistant to projectiles? Or they make gunpowder explode on sight...

Or something more sinister? Hmm... Come to think of it... Are any of the devs left handed?

Edited by Kalenath

Another think I like about DE: the names of the stuff aren't just names, they mean something.

This^ Almost everything in the game that has a name that's not inherently a derivative of whatever that thing is has some sort of ulterior significance.

A good example is all of the nodes of the starchart - many of them are moons of their respective planets, but others can range from things as obscure as geographic regions on Earth that have some sort of resemblance to the location, to varied active/extinct mythologies from numerous cultures around the world.

Naginata is not a spear. Nope. Long pole. Blade. Nope. Not a spear. Anime says so and it knows far better than history after all.

And TECHNICALLY, any weapon with a blade on a pole is a polearm. Tie a Bowie knife to the end of a stick and it is a polearm. Not a GREAT one, mind you. Spear = polearm.

This one is kind of cool.

The Codex entry ALSO implies that there was either limited access to ammunition in the Old War or REALLY GOOD reasons not to shoot projectiles at things. Why use a blade on a stick if you can use a gun?

You don't.

Tenno are not stupid (despite many random groups trying to prove otherwise), so... there had to be a reason they used this as a primary weapon.

Even a low tech (or 'no tech' - Mag Prime codex entry) firearm [matchlock or flintlock] is FAR superior in range and stopping power to a polearm. So... what? Lack of ammunition or enemies resistant to projectiles? Or they make gunpowder explode on sight...

Or something more sinister? Hmm... Come to think of it... Are any of the devs left handed?

Thinking about the codex of the new toy, they say "survive" in a way it was needed for more reasons other than just fight maybe. 

I wonder if this was the last weapon used by the old Tenno, the last breath of hope to fight the Sentients.

Thinking about the codex of the new toy, they say "survive" in a way it was needed for more reasons other than just fight maybe. 

I wonder if this was the last weapon used by the old Tenno, the last breath of hope to fight the Sentients.

That was my thought as well.

A blade on the end of a stick IS an effective weapon. I have studied Halberd, Naginata and several spear forms. Reach MATTERS in a melee fight. ESPECIALLY if you are fighting things that attack close up. Say... subverting their targets by touch, taking control of any tech on their targets or something like that?

Not that I WOULD want to fight the Borg with a bladed stick, mind you...

Edited by Kalenath