Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Locking

Koujjo

I play both genders easily.

There are my tool, far more than they identify my character.

My character is defined through cosmetic items.

THE MOD HAS SPOKEN! Teach us your ways, oh wise one... AM I GLAMOROUS ENOUGH?

In all seriousness though, can't they just tune existing models in a copy-paste type thing, just with slightly changed body shape for most? I mean, Excal and Nyx were to be perfect examples of that... Just tweak a few things and voila. Male or female frames. Female loki? Curvier and add breasts. Done. Same with Ash, since that's how the concept looked for the most part. (Easier SAID than done, but t'is better than an entirely new model.) Now the challenges would be Oberon, Valkyr, and Rhino...

Edited by WingedCrusade

Well they could unlock genders now, cant they? or is this a sort gender locking tradition now?

Problem with genders is that every one needs new frame model and design because original gender based frames where quite different. Male Ember counterpart was slightly similar to Ember, not the same frame without boobage.

So for every frame, you would have double the work and resources.

I wouldn't say resources would have to be doubled because the original frame can just use some alterations and its done, a couple of months is plenty of time, right?

Knowing DE and how they like to create everything from the scratch when frames are concerned, we would have have double waiting time for new frame.

Just look how long it takes for Mynki to actually approve Ash, Trinity and Volt Prime. People at DE are quite obsessed with design process ( which is not a bad thing at all ).

Edited by RoboDoge

I actually like gender locking, I think its pretty awesome,

But...

I'am bothered by one thing... Aren't warframes basically battle suits for Tenno? So I always wonder why my character changes gender when picking different frames (think about it... its fking weird). That is where i really find gender locking not working out in this game. 

What happened to the original concept of having both genders on every frame?? Nyx was actually supposed to be a female version of Excalibur, they look exactly the same by frame design except the helmet. 

Well the issue with that logic is it only works when your primary character has a discernible sex, which isn't the case in a game like warframe, where our primary character lacks any physical or mental representation. Nobody knows what tenno are or what they look like, male and female may no longer even be a thing to them, so to say it is off that they swap between male and female war suits when they may not have a core sex themselves is kind of a empty point. 

it'd be the equivalent of saying it makes no sense that your jump drive works on a laptop but also a desktop since they both have different exteriors. 

I wouldn't say resources would have to be doubled because the original frame can just use some alterations and its done, a couple of months is plenty of time, right?

Resources; aka time, money, etc. Whether or not it would be doubled is arbitrary - to spend any amount of time, money, etc. to add them into the game would essentially be a waste, when all that time and money could spent on something else much more worthwhile.

And that's not how object modeling works. In the case of frames, you would pretty much have to start from the ground up, then you have to make adjustments to every single other aspect of the game that interacts with said frame (skins, animations, FX, etc.) - which is not a short list of tasks.

I know this is a dead horse, but does anyone else besides me have a problem playing frames of the opposite gender? I don't know if I'm a bit of a role player or it's because it breaks immersion for me but I just can't play female frames. I'm curious how many others feel the same.

i am the same way just play the ones that aren't outwardly female like zephyr and trinity

Hello, I'm new here. So this "problem" is new to me too. 

While it did kind of appear strange to me that my character could change sex at will, defining the gender and personality is up to the player to come up with for his frame.

If someone doesn't like to play a female frame for the lack of immersion or projection of ones gender, then don't use female frames.

I dunno, nothing forces us to use certain frames, so why is this even a problem? As I'm new, I don't know if this is true, but so far strategies that require certain Warframes (rep farming) never consist of frames of only one gender. If you don't like being a Trin, go Excal. 

I prefer using female frames for immersion reasons too, and they are just better designed. But I don't mind using males ones. While I can project myself into female frames, I can "play" with the male ones. You don't need to identify with the frame to enjoy the character it can represent. 

Kindly,

your friendly neighbourhood noob.

I know this is a dead horse, but does anyone else besides me have a problem playing frames of the opposite gender? I don't know if I'm a bit of a role player or it's because it breaks immersion for me but I just can't play female frames. I'm curious how many others feel the same.

Yeah same here it's very rare when I like a females in games cause most feel over sexual-ized(granted warframe is better then most)  in some games and the only one I liked is kamikirimusi-full.jpg in soul caliber 4

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

Probably lack of resources, DE was on the verge of breaking up before release of Warframe. Steve said on some developer interview that Canadian government gave them money because of Warframe project IIRC, and that Founders also helped a lot.

Seems that way, but not a word since 2013... disheartening to say the least. Guess it was more convenient for them to ignore it completely at the end like it never happened.

Genderswap.JPG

Genderswap2.JPG

Seems that way, but not a word since 2013... disheartening to say the least. Guess it was more convenient for them to ignore it completely at the end like it never happened.

To be fair, we'll most likely find out once and for all this year.

If it gets baked into the Lore that that a single Tenno can use any Warframe regardless of shape (Which I believe is a must) and that the Warframes' shape has in-world historical reasons for being a certain way. The notion of gender swapped Warframes will become irrelevant and very much a waste of resources (They could make a new Warframe in similar amount of development time, Other than concept art there is virtually nothing shared between meshes)

Edited by SilentMobius

To be fair, we'll most likely find out once and for all this year.

If it gets baked into the Lore that that a single Tenno can use any Warframe regardless of shape (Which I believe is a must) and that the Warframes' shape has in-world historical reasons for being a certain way. The notion of gender swapped Warframes will become irrelevant and very much a waste of resources (They could make a new Warframe in similar amount of development time, Other than concept art there is virtually nothing shared between meshes)

Hope so.

Either that or they'll keep their promise and do it, and milk it of course.

Hope so.

Either that or they'll keep their promise and do it, and milk it of course.

To be fair, you say they "promised", I have _never_ seen such a thing. and unless you can produce it I'm afraid I'm going to have to doubt you. All I've ever see is vague language or "no"

But IMHO the work of sculpting another 21 Warframes, for minimal game-return, _and_ slowing production of future Warframes to do two sculpts. And then resculping the primes....

They would be mad to do it and anyone overseeing costs would be mad to approve it.

Edited by SilentMobius

To be fair, you say they "promised", I have _never_ seen such a thing. and unless you can produce it I'm afraid I'm going to have to doubt you. All I've ever see is vague language or "no"

We all got our opinions, no point in arguing over things only DE would know.

Why is everyone citing Lara Croft as 'badass female character'?

Samus Aran is way cooler, AND one of the precedents for female characters and power armors!

OT: I have no problem with warframe sexes, but I have a weakness for the more monstrous types, thus I end up playing mostly males despite being female. To be honest I don't think any of the frames really pack anything 'down there' or 'up there', and if they do (and assuming they're capable of breeding, which they probably are not) I'd think the Tenno really could care less about it.

...Though I -would- support selectable genders, for the only purpose of making a female Chroma :p

We all got our opinions, no point in arguing over things only DE would know.

Well no, I'm not talking about "opinions" I'm saying you have stated that DE has promised to do gender swaps (assuming that twitter screenshot is also you). I'm politely asking you to back that up while also explaining why I'm asking that. That's an easy thing to to be absolute about, either they promised or they didn't.

Edited by SilentMobius

Well no, I'm not talking about "opinions" I'm saying you have stated that DE has promised to do gender swaps (assuming that twitter screenshot is also you). I'm politely asking you to back that up while also explaining why I'm asking that. that's an easy thing to to be absolute about, either they promised or they didn't.

I'm aware of what you were getting at, the screenshots I provided earlier would've been enough if you weren't so against the idea, but there's been more talks on this in the archived threads and some of them had dev responses. The general idea was that it was a thing that was "eventually" going to happen, just not then as they had other priorities. Believe it or not, thats the best I can do; and as much as I'd like to, I can't comb through all these threads that I have no longer easy access to, the forum is a mess when threads get archived. So at the end, it's me "claiming" that it happened against you "claiming" that it never happened, and I'd rather not argue, had more than enough back then.

If you want more details: Steve promised it on the forums as a response to a couple posts regarding the matter, Scott has always been against "genderswap" as a concept but eventually caved in after the talks of Ember/Blaze style genderswap came up (which was coined in by a player as an alternative to how to keep warframe unique and have genderswap at the same time) and they all discussed it's posibility to the point where it "seemingly" turned into a plan for the future on an old livestream, but they've never officially said "yes, we are going to do it in 2016" or whatever. Like I said, believe it or not, that's up to you, I was there though and have always supported it.

Unrelated, here's some reading material and old discussions on the topic for whomever is interested:

Steve PM from years ago

Edited by CapricaSix

I'm aware of what you were getting at, the screenshots I provided earlier would've been enough if you weren't so against the idea, but there's been more talks on this in the archived threads and some of them had dev responses. The general idea was that it was a thing that was "eventually" going to happen, just not then as they had other priorities. Believe it or not, thats the best I can do; and as much as I'd like to, I can't comb through all these threads that I have no longer easy access to, the forum is a mess when threads get archived. So at the end, it's me "claiming" that it happened against you "claiming" that it never happened, and I'd rather not argue, had more than enough back then.

If you want more details: Steve promised it on the forums as a response to a couple posts regarding the matter, Scott has always been against "genderswap" as a concept but eventually caved in after the talks of Ember/Blaze style genderswap came up (which was coined in by a player as an alternative to how to keep warframe unique and have genderswap at the same time) and they all discussed it's posibility to the point where it "seemingly" turned into a plan for the future on an old livestream, but they've never officially said "yes, we are going to do it in 2016" or whatever. Like I said, believe it or not, that's up to you, I was there though and have always supported it.

Ah, right I remember the "If we were going to make, visually-cross-gender versions of Warframes they would be different Warframes with a similar theme but opposing visual gender" conversation. I'm sorry but I don't see that as any kind of promise. In fact I stand by what I said that they have been extremely careful in not promising anything. I'll dig out my Livestream archive and see if I can find the quote.

I think it's only fair to not pull the "you promised" card without an explicit statement.

...but just to be clear, I have no problem with DE doing it. I'm not against the idea at all, I think there are more opportunities for interesting Lore if the external shape of a Warframe is fixed unrelated to the Tenno inside, but it wouldn't bother me one bit. Just with my economic head on it is a huge mistake. I just don't think DE want to outright say no.

Given the fact we still haven't had a re-mesh of Frost/Trinity to add something as simple as a few more verts and the rigging for cloth, hell frost prime still clips horribly with the Aurora helmet because his neck is deformed (Plug plug https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/306094-frost-prime-neck-too-narrow-for-aurora-helmet-clipping-badly-black-texture-showing-through/ ) and that hasn't been fixed since it came out. I just don't see it happening with all the other content they're actually promising.

Edited by SilentMobius

Ah, right I remember the "If we were going to make, visually-cross-gender versions of Warframes they would be different Warframes with a similar theme but opposing visual gender" conversation. I'm sorry but I don't see that as any kind of promise. In fact I stand by what I said that they have been extremely careful in not promising anything. I'll dig out my Livestream archive and see if I can find the quote.

I think it's only fair to not pull the "you promised" card without an explicit statement.

You said all you saw was a "vague no", and all I see is a "vague yes", that's why I said everyone has their opinions as it was asked and said several times over and over, as well as the bit about it being an "eventuality". I'd take that as a promise. I'll drop it though, there's just no point to this.

And you came off as more against it than neutral earlier, but I don't mind either way... If they keep making new helmets and new warframes, might as well do this and market it as something "new" that we can grind or buy. I see no real difference. Could've also started it slowly like one in every couple of months, it's not like people are asking "lets get this for all our warframes asap!". I should also add that personally I couldn't care less about lore at this point.

You said all you saw was a "vague no", and all I see is a "vague yes", that's why I said everyone has their opinions as it was asked and said several times over and over, as well as the bit about it being an "eventuality". I'd take that as a promise. I'll drop it though, there's just no point to this.

Well to me that was an explicit no, not a vague one, it was "We well not make gender swapped versions of the same Warframe but we might make new Warframes that fill the same conceptual role in opposing genders" but there we go. With all the "might" and "if" I think you're less likely to get traction calling that a promise.

Personally the story, setting and the aesthetics is all I play this game for.