Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Locking

Koujjo

Well to me that was an explicit no, not a vague one, it was "We well not make gender swapped versions of the same Warframe but we might make new Warframes that fill the same conceptual role in opposing genders" but there we go. With all the "might" and "if" I think you're less likely to get traction calling that a promise.

Personally the story, setting and the aesthetics is all I play this game for.

Sure, opinions.

Edit: and preferences.

I play a game for the solid gameplay and the setting if the customisation aspect is decent as I enjoy it a lot. Story is always secondary to customisability and replayability for me. To each their own.

Edited by CapricaSix

2.) A few people are bothered by playing frames of the opposite sex. You're a minority. It's not worth the development time to change this.

That's very offensive, you know that?

And also untrue. There are many people who don't feel very comfortable playing as something that displays secondary sex characteristics of, uh, opposite sex. It is often based on upbringing of individual, mostly in regions with strong gender stereotypes.

Now go on and call me a yokel. I dare you.

Edited by LABAL

[...]

Warframe isn't RP to me, it's an action game where you're not actually role playing with anybody. No need to worry about the gender controlling the frame. The frames don't have a personality in game. That doesn't mean you don't see your frame without a personality (I've got some humorous ones for mine, which I'll joke with a friend to no end with when we play. We amuse ourselves).

[...]

^This!

There is no Roleplay in Warframe.

I'm male and I play females in video games 95% of the time because it is refreshing to change skin. And honestly, my favorite frames are females (Nova, Mag, Saryn, Nyx)

But, since it would be costly to develop new models for different sex, DE just need to sell them and try to cover their costs. That would be resonnable.

Cheers!

That's very offensive, you know that?

And also untrue. There are many people who don't feel very comfortable playing as something that displays secondary sex characteristics of, uh, opposite sex. It is often based on upbringing of individual, mostly in regions with strong gender stereotypes.

Now go on and call me a yokel. I dare you.

It's still a very arbitrary minority.

I do not like the female frame has more better power than the male frames.it seems that DE more committed in to female frames than in male.
you can farm origina frame look but not the gender of that frame figure.and it would be the only solution to pay if you want.it would be nice to pay with platinum to gender-change as much as it is worth the warframe(250p,350p,75p)Have a neutral BP and then deciding what gender you want it to be...Or it would be better to have an option that you can create your frame,when modifying your appearance and power so i will change his story so that you make a its unique warframes.For example some things you unlock when you unlock warframe,but some pay platinum for a better look and better power or to fast unlock some things just use the platinum....

I do not like the female frame has more better power than the male frames.it seems that DE more committed in to female frames than in male.

you can farm origina frame look but not the gender of that frame figure.and it would be the only solution to pay if you want.it would be nice to pay with platinum to gender-change as much as it is worth the warframe(250p,350p,75p)Have a neutral BP and then deciding what gender you want it to be...Or it would be better to have an option that you can create your frame,when modifying your appearance and power so i will change his story so that you make a its unique warframes.For example some things you unlock when you unlock warframe,but some pay platinum for a better look and better power or to fast unlock some things just use the platinum....

Again, stop going on about "DE made female frames better, must introduce an option to gender swap", every time this has come up in the forums in the past, about year? (maybe longer), DE's response has been they are not interested in doing gender swap skin, only things that might do is have an alternate gender frame that follows the same theme (e.g. Fire) but is a different frame.

Edited by NovusNova

I consider them individuals. Like Ash is a Samurai tenno,Valkyre is that hysterical gril from the neighburhod.none of them are the same they are diferent tenno for me like champs in LoL or heroes in HotS, diferent caracters.As for I'm being the operator I consider my selfe in that role as commander who helps with navigation and tactics or a boss who sends he's man to do stuff for cash. There for I have no problem playing Frames from any gender

Edited by OliverSniper

For good reasons.

I think you fail to see that women playing have to deal with the same problem and they dont complain. EVER.

Have you ever heard a girl say they hate Asassins creed because Ezio is not female? I think you have to get over the immersive thing and play for fun not because you like to feel like the best ever. 

This is an insult to all females out there.

1) Some of them complain a lot.

2) Its an entirely different aspect. I can easily play Cate Archer, as she has a background and story, and so I am playing her Story. The same with Ezio. He is himself, and I play his story. Easy enough to be immersed for me.

But with games where the main protagonist has no real story, or would have the same story has 10000 other players too, some want to be immersed by creating their own background, or identify with the character they play. Some like to do this with their own sex, some with the other one, to each their own.

I for one, like to play Male Frames more. Sadly many concepts that interest me, are female ones, and many of the males look too ugly to me. Two points that make me play Female Frames for some power sets, but given the choice it would be a male one (if it looked decent).

Interestingly enough, Some Male Warframes might have easily a human female inside. After all, Armor (in earthly concepts) gets designed to be an armor, not highlight some sex identifying parts. Its just the internet the designs Female armor much different than male ones.

In Warframe concepts, I would think it gets designed to form the energy the Tenno uses. Why that would need highlighting of male or female stature eludes me though.

Since we have that stature highlighting, it makes some people wish for Frames in their own sex. Nothing wrong with that.

Although I don't think we will get that.

Maybe we will see a good looking Male Frame again in the future.

IF gender choice was to be a thing, like in Mass Effect you can be a woman if that is your preference, the question is HOW?

I mean, just two bodymodels and keep it all the same? Or two models but slightly different in design to accomodate the gender?

I have no problem playing as both. I would not have a problem if I could play a female Nekros or a male Nova.

I DID an experiment with Valkyr to make a make version.

This is what happened.

valkyr_male_concept_by_gaber111-d829wnh.

Thoughts?

I'll be honest. first of all, I am a guy (since tht, apparently, my sex determines my veracity), And, Kuojjo,

I believe that your unconfrt playing them comes from the fact that you were not really educated to allow yourself to view yourself as a woman.

We live in a world where men and women are educated to obey to a certain gender (expression of one's self sexuality. this is, the usual misconceptions that you are pushed to obey. example: you are a boy, dont wear pink. don't cry. like football. etc. most of this things dont really translate what the person really is, but what she is supposed to be in the eyes of a bylateral society.), and part of that includes having a certain disdain for the other sex. Even if not officially, we are told that men and women are inherently different, and, since "fake it until you make it" works sometimes, it ends up beeing that way when we grow up.

So, since that the worst possible insult for a boy is being called a girl, every guy who has being accused of being girly, or accused others of being girly, (during adolescence, mainly), ends up having a certain... fear, of playing as one

More than that, since that most computer games have a male protagonist (please, don't deny it. we all know it's true. yes, there are some with female, but they are not as many, not even by far.), and some of them are placed in an extremely mysoginistic enviromment (sorry, GTA fans. it shows women as objects. face it.), to be presented to a game were you can choose to be one or another leads you to that. I understand. I have already felt that way. the unconfort of being in a woman's skin, even if only in a game. And I like to think I am bypassing it.

And that's why I love warframe. It forces you to try every sex, if you want to take full advantage of their powers. It makes impossible to reach greatness if you refuse to use a very usefull and skilled character just because it has a different sex than yours. It is a lesson we can use on the real world. Our sexual organs are not connected to our brains. no matter what we have on our pants, we are all different persons, and we all can be strong our sensitive, if that's what we want

So, in the end: you are just one in a million who have inherited a sexist education, and, if we can use this game has a metaphor, you are loosing a lot because of it. So, yes, you are narrow minded, but it's not your fault. I advise you to play Mass Effect or Dragon Origins as a female, and trying to talk to female gamers about this. You'll be unconfortable at first, but youll find it very refreshing and realising.

As they say, you cant be free if you don't allow others to be.

By the way, Arch111, I enjoy it. the face is not very masculine. Exactly because the face is not very masculine. We need more variety of gender expression in gaming and entertainment in general. giving supposetly female atributes to a male (and vice versa) gives people who dont obey to general gender norms a place in this very influent entertainment gate, and makes us more open-minded and free with ourselves

People like this make me so sad. You're missing out on so much fun! And for what? Because it "makes you uncomfortable"? Why?

Do you feel uncomfortable every time you have to play a non human character? Playing as Sonic would make you uncomfortable? Or is it alright because he's a guy? But he is a hedgehog, you know. HOW are you supposed to relate to a hedgehog??

TLDR: Learn to relate with characters that aren't like you. It'll make you a better human being.

To be honest I don't think any of the frames really pack anything 'down there' or 'up there', and if they do (and assuming they're capable of breeding, which they probably are not) I'd think the Tenno really could care less about it.

THANK YOU, FOR SHARING MY VIEW

IF gender choice was to be a thing, like in Mass Effect you can be a woman if that is your preference, the question is HOW?

I mean, just two bodymodels and keep it all the same? Or two models but slightly different in design to accomodate the gender?

I have no problem playing as both. I would not have a problem if I could play a female Nekros or a male Nova.

I DID an experiment with Valkyr to make a make version.

This is what happened.

valkyr_male_concept_by_gaber111-d829wnh.

Thoughts?

Male cat frame? Kill him with fire!