Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Whats With Camping Becoming The 'default' Way To Play Survival?

immolator1001

It's NOT a new tactic. So no, run & gun probably is not the default tactic anymore.

Others don't know how you think the game is meant to be played.

I camp when I am the keyholder, and play along when I am not.

Only met no more than 10 people try to force their playstyle on others in last 2 month.(including spy, syndicate(check that other thread), survival mission).

Maybe it's just bad luck that you kept running into je*ks.

Run & gun 20min is fun,40min is still ok fun and a little tiresome, but run 40min 20 times repeatedly to fight the RNG?NO WAY.

Sorry for the bad grammar.

Basically is due to the messed up spawn rate.

when moving for 1 room to another, players split due to different speed and parkour path.

Thus spawn is messed up.

So camping can prevent this problem.

Survival is broken due to the air limitation design.

( I am fine with both method, just put a mark on tri and everyone follows her lead.)

Edited by themartinc123

OP definetly has a point,..

I personally believe its the players camping in survival missions, that have unleashed DEs wrath, in the form of the Nullifiers/Dhrak masters and Mutalist tar/swarm MOAs, which IMO totally have ruined the game,...

But why everybody and their granma wants to camp now, i really have no ideer,..

Edited by D3ST

I can tolerate camping in survival, especially T4S. well, at least I don't like camping in a corner.

in the end, camping strat lands on somewhere all squad members agreed upon something. basic mindset if there will be no camping is don't stray too far.

Just as boring as it was before, only now you get to experience what the Nekros does. I swear I fell asleep during a 40 min run yesterday.

Hey, a good nekros could run around and fight as well as desecrate. But yeah, I used to fall asleep in tower survival runs or defense runs all the time, to the no doubt annoyance of my teammates. Then again, they did insist on sitting in one place. I don't do stillness very well.

I don't know. Some high mastery-rank initiated fad.

Oi. Oi. Oi. You. No. Stoppit. I'm mr 19. I have never done this. In fact, I am about as anti-camp as you can get.

It misses the enemies that can flush out the campers, like the Infested Swarm/Mutalist MOA's and the Poison Osprey.

Alternative, the Grineer Maniac and Napalm.

Hm... I wouldnt go that far actually... 

We have Corrupted Napalms with AoE's that go thru walls/defense.

Oh don't forget about dem silent nades that can hit hard and have no counter ~

Also Nullifiers can/may shoot & penetrate Snow Globe/Electric Shield 

Did I mention from time to time Eximus like Parasite/Venomous come over to visit ?

It might not mean a lot under 30 minutes... but once go above that I seen two viable options:

Run around like headless chicken trying not to die [chance using a revive if spread to thin] or stick together camping to ensure have each other's back when downed.

Pick your poison.

PS: This assuming T3 Survivals and above with lvl 45+. Unless they have a back up player to keep reviving, it can get hairy fast...

PSS: Not enforcing camp either way, if a team can manage kiting/killing than more power for the group. Just stating possible reasons why camping is increasing in popularity besides catching break from running around mission after mission...

Edited by Fionntan

PSS: Not enforcing camp either way, if a team can manage kiting/killing than more power for the group. Just stating possible reasons why camping is increasing in popularity besides catching break from running around mission after mission...

I ran with a friend, who used a Hydroid, T3 Survival. Myself, I used a Nekros.

We found a nice spot and went for 40 minutes.

I was surprised to see that Hydroid's Syndicate Mod 'Pilfering Swarm' (+Increased loot drop) was scaling with Power Strength, so we were able to receive often 4 times the loot from a single enemy from Tentacle Swarm. Once they were killed by the Tentacles, I swooped over them with Desecrate.

The results : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414676746

The mod count drop went on in the double digit number, along with about 27k Alloy Plate.

Edited by Second_Measure

I ran with a friend, who used a Hydroid, T3 Survival. Myself, I used a Nekros.

We found a nice spot and went for 40 minutes.

I was surprised to see that Hydroid's Syndicate Mod 'Pilfering Swarm' (+Increased loot drop) was scaling with Power Strength, so we were able to receive often 4 times the loot from a single enemy from Tentacle Swarm. Once they were killed by the Tentacles, I swooped over them with Desecrate.

The results : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414676746

Grats champ for your Volt Chassis ~ Hm.... never knew augment had such an effect ... 

I managed with Slow Nova, Nekros, Disarm Loki, and me being Vauban using the two floor room as our camp (elevator used as a resting point if needed). Sadly didn't screenshot the result so take it as you wish; clocked around 60 minutes.

My point is sticking to one room worked for us and I'm sure it always was a thing in the past to camp "a room" for best results in air capsules/survival on long runs. Whether is the sleep educing water tunnel camp or active running in a big area.

Just that now between rarity of the "x" prime drop on a survival, people tired of running around or need break after half hour running, or/and simply taking the lazy route is reason why Recruit Chat full peeps asking for new type frames (Greedy Mag/Nek/Frost/etc.). 

As for the fact on OP, probably ran into a lot stubborn folks in a day which tends to happen with randoms in general...

Edit: Minor note I mention 30 min above gets hairy assuming a wide variety of skills in the group (bright to not so bright...). In my experience with friends on mic at 50 minute mark is where one mistake is one's patootie kissing the floor v-v;

Edited by Fionntan

I don't demand anything. When people start demanding to run a certain way during runs they aren't even hosting,  which hasn't been a big issue in the near 2 years I've been playing, and all of a sudden people are all about hiding in "the sewers" when it's not even their key? Yes. There's a tad bit of a problem. Where on earth is this trend coming from that it's so much more noticeable now than it was say 7 months ago?

I'm not advocating for one side or the other here, (having been, and regularly doing variants of both sides here,) but it seems to me you've just noticed the shift in the meta and are behind the times.  Is running around and axe'ing things to death fun? Good! Is ambushing heavy gunners from beside the doors a great feeling? YES!  Then you are still in the "happily married" stage of the relationship.  

Camping, either in the sewers, or making your own cover a-la frost or volt with some type of map assistance, has been a thing since the day survival came out, albeit for different reasons.  The players that are joining you don't think of it as hijacking your key, they think they are doing you, and everyone else a favor.  When was the last time you joined another game type and had someone say "Ok, so, we need a strategy to take down Phorid? We will send Frost in first to eat the spikes, then have Trin and Rhino move in and trade off on taking hits while Ember runs around and deals with mooks." ?  They are going into the gametype thinking about teamwork for once, and they are running with the most efficient/effective method they have probably experienced, so that they can make it to some artificial checkpoint and hopefully at least get a shot at that shiny new loot.  Would you consider a key wasted if you only made it to 17 minutes?  I thought so, you still share some of their mindset, just not all of it.  

As with all games where time invested= a rough idea of rewards and power, efficiency takes over as the driving force behind strategy.  The way you profess to be "the way" to play is simply falling out of style, and now it is on you to create groups with a like mindset, nothing more.

On a side note, this thread has been an interesting exploration of how the survival camping method has evolved, it's kinda neat.

I like to stay in one big room gives me room to move around and the enemy has better spawn rate .

Staying in small room sucks and have all the players spread out all over the map is a bad for spawn rate and team buffs and I harder to keep  tabs on team mate so they won't go down 

well after countless survival runs running around exploring the whole place even through the glitchy roof using zephyr will take a toll on your interest.

ive only recently tried this camping and it actually makes me feel i pass the time faster. id say its okay since not everyone is willing to do it, but at the very least i can still play without feeling burned out by the crap drops from void.

for the love of god DE, please please please remove forma bp. at least make them a pre-made forma.

Most of you seem to be missing the point. 

OP is not saying that camping in Survival is new. He's not saying that he was unaware that people did it. 

His point is, literally, almost every single person in recruit chat that is hosting a Survival key is asking for camp teams. If they didn't request it in the recruit tab, they proceed to inform the group when everyone is inside the mission, or simply place a waypoint with the message "camp here." This is almost inevitable. Prior to U16, this was most certainly not the norm. Majority of people would maybe stick to 1-2 rooms, run around, & slaughter everything, or something those lines. Requests for certain frames would be only Nekros for the most part, with the occasional request for a Loki or Nyx as well (& an Excal b4 her was nerfed to hell). 

Now everyone is requesting for Nekros, Greedy Mag, Vauban, Pilfering Hydroid, or other variations as if this was Draco or something. This is a recent advent that I'd say I noticed with the launch of U16.  

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now its out.

DE will "fix" this, because grinding T4S over and over and over again should be "fun". It is way less tedious to camp than to run around, trying to survive, hoping to get that Loky Systems with a 5% chance from rotation C but ending up with a Forma Blueprint.

Camping is not fun, it is just easier. You still have to spend 40 minutes of your lifetime for an abysmal chance for the part you want.

I don't like camping, and I'd rather melee everything to death or use my bow.

But after doing 20 T4S you get pretty bored of it all. Running around would be just about as stimulating as sitting still after a point. I've actually fallen asleep multiple times running around. More times than when camping actually.

I like watching the powers interact anyway tbh. Once we all had blue powers, so there was just blue death everywhere.

But yeah it's just less tedious. I'll never camp like 2 hours again, that was too boring and time consuming, but I'll camp 40 mins or so