Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Would You Guys Respond To A "fat"/heavy Girl Warframe?

hedgehodge

... and again, another case of someone assuming that by fat I necessarily mean morbidly obese

Perhaps you should be more specific in the OP then. Did you mean "stocky", and just use the colloquial "fat" which has insensitive connotations?

Funny how people treat fat and obesity though- nobody seems to complain about withered, shrivelled, lanky ol' Nekros (who looks like a stiff breeze could snap him in two tbh) pulling off any those feats, even though being underweight is just as dangerous as if not more dangerous than obesity.

Fairly certain people have complained about that. Regardless, there's a reason for his appearance - his design invokes a skeletal figure, intended to play on his enemies' fears and superstitions and amplify them with Terrify.

And your link's broken.

Edited by Archwizard

By "fat" I'm assuming you mean a female with a healthy bit of meat. Perhaps slightly pudgier? Nothing wrong with that. Wouldn't be opposed to it, in fact, I am in full support either way you go. I'd love to see a rendering.

An odd thought: though I don't think she quite fits the profile you describe (as the actual body type of the character is never shown), the first thing that came to mind when I read this was Sieglinde of Catarina. Props to those who know the character.

Fat isn't a proper gauge, you mean "overweight" and not "obese" I'm fine with over weight, but people don't realize that encompasses most women they think are "thin" or "healthy". That is why people think obese when you say fat. Culture has only the excessive labeled as an issue.

Personally a muscular woman would never be " overweight" if BMI is correct. Those with excessive muscle are likely on steroids.

Really if you make a fat warframe it would have to be in the excess to differentiate it from existing. I don't see players noticing if it is just 2 sizes larger.

Obese would not make sense with the theme of the game.

By "fat" I'm assuming you mean a female with a healthy bit of meat. Perhaps slightly pudgier? Nothing wrong with that. Wouldn't be opposed to it, in fact, I am in full support either way you go. I'd love to see a rendering.

An odd thought: though I don't think she quite fits the profile you describe (as the actual body type of the character is never shown), the first thing that came to mind when I read this was Sieglinde of Catarina. Props to those who know the character.

A few things you have wrong, Fat is not meat, meat is, in fact, muscle. Pudgie is actually not healthy. Society has become overly PC and has called that healthy, while in the medical community it is considered overweight.

As for what is behind the warframe, one of the major theories is that your Tenno is an individual that changes suits, if that is the case a fat frame wouldnt make sense, unless the armor itself was making up the bulk for a reason.

Edited by Lightsmith

@Lightsmith

I find it hard to believe Tenno change suits, the differences in body type are quite large even among the existing roster. 

Downloading your conciousness makes more sense. Maybe we're all like precious Ordis :)

@Hedgehodge

Fix that imgur link, it was pretty cool when it worked.

@Lightsmith

I find it hard to believe Tenno change suits, the differences in body type are quite large even among the existing roster. 

Downloading your conciousness makes more sense. Maybe we're all like precious Ordis :)

@Hedgehodge

Fix that imgur link, it was pretty cool when it worked.

I understand that, personally I envision them to be like Robocop underneath, bearly any flesh left so they can fit into these other frames. Your's is a valid skepticism, I wish DE would make it clear either way.

I'd want short and stocky, similar to:

tumblr_m7necbt7ql1r06t3xo2_400.jpg

If she appeared too short, increase relevant dimensions until she's as bulk as you're looking for.

But I have to agree with most of the rest of the thread; an overweight/fat frame just for the sake of "diversity", "political correctness" or such would be absolutely pointless.

well,im female,6'2" tall,and weigh about 180 pounds (182 on some days)

im fairly well muscled,

my usual gym workout is chasing around mice with a hammer,im not joking either

or moving heavy furniture around for family (sometimes just relatives)

or hefting 50 pounds of grocerys on my back on the coming back portion of a 4 mile on foot round trip because i hate cars >.> (hey walking for one or two hours aint so bad on a nice day)

or if im bored and need a jump start you know what i do?go into my backyard that has two walnut trees,and spend 3 hours chasing squirrels

i dont need no gym >.> life is just fine

Edited by GunDownGrace

A lot of people here keep concern-trolling about whether a "fat" warframe would be able to be as agile as the rest and 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/louise-green/fit-and-fat-what-an-athlete-looks-like_b_5678917.html

... there are a number of actual athletes, who would probably like to have a word with all of you

Anyway, I'm sketching up a handful of designs for her as we speak right now actually. I'm actually using one of the athletes pictured in that huffpo article as a reference for her.

I'm not designing her because "diversity" or "political correctness" (people who use these terms negatively creep me the F*** out by the way). I'm designing her because I want to.

Because I had an idea for a frame and it happens that the idea, as it was formed in my head, feels like it'd be suited to being depicted as a fat girl.

And I don't see why we can't have one. Because to me, it's not like fat girls are any more ridiculous than... say, cthulhu-summoning space pirates (Hydroid), shamanistic furries (Oberon), a whole army that's technically comprised entirely of disabled or mentally ill or chronically ill people who are also complete badasses, may i add (the Grineer), Jhonen Vasquez rejects (Nekros), and magician clown ladies (Mirage) and psychic space magic.

and in the event that she does become real (very unlikely) it's not like any of you will be forced to play as her or be forced to play with someone who has her so some of you people really need to fuckin take a chillpill.

A lot of people here keep concern-trolling about whether a "fat" warframe would be able to be as agile as the rest and 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/louise-green/fit-and-fat-what-an-athlete-looks-like_b_5678917.html

... there are a number of actual athletes, who would probably like to have a word with all of you

Anyway, I'm sketching up a handful of designs for her as we speak right now actually. I'm actually using one of the athletes pictured in that huffpo article as a reference for her.

I'm not designing her because "diversity" or "political correctness" (people who use these terms negatively creep me the F*** out by the way). I'm designing her because I want to.

Because I had an idea for a frame and it happens that the idea, as it was formed in my head, feels like it'd be suited to being depicted as a fat girl.

And I don't see why we can't have one. Because to me, it's not like fat girls are any more ridiculous than... say, cthulhu-summoning space pirates (Hydroid), shamanistic furries (Oberon), a whole army that's technically comprised entirely of disabled or mentally ill or chronically ill people who are also complete badasses, may i add (the Grineer), Jhonen Vasquez rejects (Nekros), and magician clown ladies (Mirage) and psychic space magic.

and in the event that she does become real (very unlikely) it's not like any of you will be forced to play as her or be forced to play with someone who has her so some of you people really need to fuckin take a chillpill.

its ok,really...what these people are actually upset about is that an actually unique and interesting idea is threatening to shake there tiny little ego worlds,there just using the agility pretext concern as a smokescreen to cover lashing out at what they cant understand

those same sorts of people do this with alot of concepts...you should see some of the flak that anti lotus fan concepts get,,,(and most of the time its only because the lotus loyalists rather fancy rebecca who they equate with the lotus)

well,im female,6'2" tall,and weigh about 180 pounds (182 on some days)

im fairly well muscled,

my usual gym workout is chasing around mice with a hammer,im not joking either

Actually your weight is in the correct range for your height. For your height the range would be 150-190 roughly.

Edited by Lightsmith

simple answer i guess.
"fat"-yes. obese-no

you can still be well build and be "fat". if you are going just for the muscles without definition you even get fat over your muscles. look at some strongmen. most of them don't have a six pack or something because they're just going for the muscles . all they need is strength
now here's what i would expect

n3FpbbG.png?1

These aren't supposed to be male because i hate women . lets say i kept them gender neutral to show the ...well the "chest" difference between heavy built and obese

Edited by CampLeaderHoliday

*snip*

Seems my main point was missed in that I merely meant to express support for the OP's idea regardless of what he intended. 

As for the size of the warframe, I can't understand your argument about unnecessary size. From the lore we know that the original frames were built around beings damaged by the void; each of them given a design that enhanced, channeled, and reflected the powers they held. But as stated before its an unknown what the tenno actually look like and we can "wear" or use every warframe that exists, even if they are of differing genders or body builds. It stands to reason then that the larger size ("fat") of this warframe reflects the powers or abilities of the warframe (i.e.: stores an incredible amount of energy).

All of this is just to say rejecting a warframe for its size is ridiculous, and I support the OP's idea.

If you mean a large frame for instance i rhino. I dont see why a large frame cant be female.

Agreed, but beyond that, not so much.

simple answer i guess.

"fat"-yes. obese-no

you can still be well build and be "fat". if you are going just for the muscles without definition you even get fat over your muscles. look at some strongmen. most of them don't have a six pack or something because they're just going for the muscles . all they need is strength

now here's what i would expect

n3FpbbG.png?1

These aren't supposed to be male because i hate women . lets say i kept them gender neutral to show the ...well the "chest" difference between heavy built and obese

Technically both of those are obese, the right is just morbidly obese. I think the left is still to big, I don't see it as something that can Parkour, etc.

Agreed, but beyond that, not so much.

Technically both of those are obese, the right is just morbidly obese. I think the left is still to big, I don't see it as something that can Parkour, etc.

yes i know and i think that would be the cool part. if you would have a warframe strong enough to move this body as quickly as a normal warframe.maybe its really too much but i orientated myself a bit at sumo fighters

This isn't the sort of opinion you'd want to crowdsource before creation. It's fraught with preconceptions, and you'd probably just be better served by designing and displaying the visuals you're looking for, coupled with a thematic justification through lore and ability descriptions and possible ability animation descriptions, and then gauging people's reactions to the real presentation.

With that said, what are my own opinions on it? CampLeaderHoliday's sketching is fantastically useful, because it points out the difference between a large-bodied frame that's full-bodied from a large-bodied frame that's fat. It's simple: there's no flesh that hangs, it stays tight on the body.

The HuffPo article showing those athletes was pretty enlightening. The presence of all that fleshy tissue isn't sufficient to drain marathon stamina, and even people who do tons of physical activity simply just don't shed the fat because... they just don't, and yet they still perform. I didn't realize that could be. If you have a fatty warframe, you'd still want to somehow fit the part, maybe by having them do less-agile ability animations.

Now, alternatively, if you made your female warframe concept a sumo wrestler, which uses her psychic abilities to Rhino Charge, Super Jump, and Divebomb, that would have been really cool--except for the fact that all three abilities I just listed are already in the game. But hey, your concept is your creativity outlet, so let's see what you come up with.

I don't understand the point of this.

Purely as a robot:

If you had to design a human sized, bipedal combat robot for example, you would make the most compact internal structure as possible to duplicate the bone/muscle structure for a "2 legs walking" gait, then add all your sensors/etc feedback electronics, then layer your armour on top of that to protect it.

You would, under zero circumstances, duplicate the shape of an "overweight" human, as you would instantly lower movement and balance from what you just made, and anyway, the "extra" space where normally a human would have extra body fat, would only have a point existing in order to have extra space to have extra components. If you needed that, you'd just scale the robot up in height and keep the same proportions.

If we assume a human is inside the Frames:

Now you have to assume that every single human inside that Frame of that "heavy" new type is heavier. Since an overweight/heavy human is NOT the norm, it's like saying that every person that like Ember, developed Fire abilities, only did so because they were "fat". It's like making being heavy a requirement in order to utilize that Frame powers.

That's just weird. I'd vote no.

Might as well try to convince DE to give us sliders like in other games to change the height and girth of our current Frames to make it more realistic that not every single Tenno has the identical physical measurement necessary to get into the same Frame. We build the Frames, so they they should fit us as players. If we make a thinner, taller Tenno, then the Frames should morph to fit. If we make a squat shorter Tenno, ditto.

You know those sliders we use to control the shape of Sigils and the size of objects we place in Clan Halls? Same concept.