Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Think Violent Video Games Can Cause Aggressive Behaviour?

TheErebus.

I'm doing a little experiment and I wanna see what most people think of this.

You can vote in the poll below as well as explain and discuss the topic at hand:

http://strawpoll.me/4029855

I have edited the poll to allow for more variety

Memory: 

12 votes on the previous poll

9 went to Frustration

3 went to game mechanics

0 went to the violent imagery

Edited by ScrublordPrime

Okay, I'm usually pretty thick skinned with video games, I've been playing Mortal Kombat since I was a little kid.

However, for probably the first time,

really disturbed me. There's a lot of teenagers who have dark points in their lives, where they hate the world and themselves. It's perfectly normal to have a period where you contemplate doing something to yourself you can't take back. That's why I really can't stand a game like this that would champion such behaviour, and make it look "cool".

Again, the game didn't make me feel violent, but it did make me sick. I can imagine how it might influence people of a more vulnerable state of mind.

Bad poll is bad, it is lacking options.  Games don't cause aggressive behavior, some people are naturally more aggressive and games MAY stimulate that in some one that is already overly aggressive, but it doesn't cause aggression or violent behavior.  They definitely induce anger at times though. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

Okay, I'm usually pretty thick skinned with video games, I've been playing Mortal Kombat since I was a little kid.

However, for probably the first time,

really disturbed me. There's a lot of teenagers who have dark points in their lives, where they hate the world and themselves. It's perfectly normal to have a period where you contemplate doing something to yourself you can't take back. That's why I really can't stand a game like this that would champion such behaviour, and make it look "cool".

Again, the game didn't make me feel violent, but it did make me sick. I can imagine how it might influence people of a more vulnerable state of mind.

So, a poll where the only option is to pick why you become aggressive?

"Proof" that videogames cause aggression?

Dear lord.

I'm not saying that it does.

The three options there are: 

Frustration caused by the game

The violent content within the game

The inability to understand game mechanics

One of them at the very least cause some form of aggressive behaviour to appear in individuals. I can't put in "Video-games don't make me feel aggressive" because that's quite impossible. You will feel some form of aggressive behaviour whether it be small or large from playing a video game that causes it.

No, not unless the person playing the game is prone to become violent anyway. But in a "normal" person, they do not. 

EDIT: I shouldn't say "normal", but in a person who isn't already atleast naturally aggressive. 

Edited by Jahadaya

Bad poll is bad, it is lacking options.  Games don't cause aggressive behavior, some people are naturally more aggressive and games MAY stimulate that in some one that is already overly aggressive, but it doesn't cause aggression or violent behavior.  They definitely induce anger at times though. 

I have edited the poll.

Thank you for at least being respectful.

I'm not saying that it does.

The three options there are: 

Frustration caused by the game

The violent content within the game

The inability to understand game mechanics

One of them at the very least cause some form of aggressive behaviour to appear in individuals. I can't put in "Video-games don't make me feel aggressive" because that's quite impossible. You will feel some form of aggressive behaviour whether it be small or large from playing a video game that causes it.

You should rename the topic, or recreate the poll at the very least. The title is misleading, and that's why people are saying it's a bad poll. "Does Video Games Cause Aggressive Behaviour (it's also messed up grammar, lol)" leads people to believe the poll is going to ask us whether we think video games make us aggressive or not, not how we feel they make us aggressive. Which for me personally, I don't feel they do. 

Edited by Jahadaya

You should rename the topic, or recreate the poll at the very least. The title is misleading, and that's why people are saying it's a bad poll. "Does Video Games Cause Aggressive Behaviour (it's also messed up grammar, lol)" leads people to believe the poll is going to ask us whether we think video games are aggressive or not, not how  we feel they make us aggressive. Which for me personally, I don't feel they do. 

I've already edited the poll, as for the title, I'll leave it as it is (Actually, where is the messed up grammar? I can't find it...)

Edited by ScrublordPrime

Okay, I think everyone that's played a game (like Dark Souls) has had a moment where they die and scream "GODAMMIT I PARRIED THAT SHlT! CHEATING!" but... that's the same sort of momentary frustration you might experience if someone cuts you off on the road... or you spill some coffee on your shirt... or a million other things. There's nothing special about video games "causing" this violent outburst, it's a pretty normal human reaction.

I think at best, they can influence violent tendencies that are already present, as I alluded to in my above post.

The title and the context is very disappointing. I was hoping for a yes or no. Your title suggest that but your poll suggest something else.

Your title suggest things like "are video games the cause of misbehavior among teenagers"?

But your poll suggest "Do these things cause you stress when playing video games"