The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cephalon Simaris Goal Is Within Sight!

Nox174

EDIT: Tenno'd.

Second edit: Since there's already a screenshot, I'll make complete text version for better quoting purposes instead:

SYNTHESIS IMPRINT: Lancer

The smashing is like music.

PFFT, CRACK.

My machine's striking pins smash the rock in front of me. A rush of bits from the rock crumbles from the rock and rolls over my boots. I see glinting in the rubble. I like it when it shines, it means I'm serving well. I thrust my shovel in, its plasma blades slicing clean through the chunks. It vibrates, so I switch on its inducer and the shiny bits clink on. Then I throw them into the sorter and jump out of the way for the next strike.

PFFT, CRACK.

More rumble, more shining. This is a good day. All of us, shoveling to the beat of the machines. Only a fraction of a cycle left on this rock, days really. I keep thinking: What will the next rock be like?

PFFT, CRACK.

The Outer Terminus has many rocks. Good rocks, I like it here. I shovel again and jump out of the way of the next smash.

PFFT...

The machines stop and it goes dark. Why have the machines stopped? Why is it dark? A voice reverberates all around, a thundering whisper:

"MERELY FRAMED"

The rock shakes like never before. Gravel rains in the darkness. I choke on the dust and struggle to find my balance on the shifting ground. The voice booms again. It is in the rock. It is in my head.

"MERELY SHAPED THEY ARE CALLED"

My ears ring like sirens. Then I hear new smashing, it is coming from down the tunnel. Not rhythmic smashing, not the music, something else and I do not like it. There are other voices too, screaming voices. They make me think of the way we scream when we have an accident, when one of us gets caught in a sorter. There is much screaming. The voice grows louder.

"THERE WAS NO THEIR MOTHER"

Out of the darkness a new light rounds the distant corner and shines down the tunnel. Our lights do not look like this. It is a part of something big and it moves wildly. Running? Yes, through our line. Our machines fly up and then slam back down. Miners are smashed and crushed into tiny pieces. I am scared.

I am angry. Why is this happening? Is that Orokin? No, we serve the Orokin. The Orokin are golden. This is something else. I pick up my shovel. 

"THERE WAS NO THEIR FATHER"

The light is close now. I find my footing and grip my shovel like I do when I chip ore. The light sends a machine flying at me. I jump but I am too slow. It crashes into my chest and pins my legs to the floor. I try to breathe but I cannot breathe. I look up and the light charges towards me. I raise my shovel just before it tramples into me. There's a clink. The light catches itself on my shovel's blade, forcing the shovel's butt deep into the ground. The light explodes under its own force. All is black.

For a moment there is silence. I pull the shovel but it is wedged between the ground and that thing. Then, the shovel pulses like when I strike a shiny chunk of ore, without thinking, I flick on the shovel's inducer. The voice screams. Everything shakes. I like hearing this scream, I do not know why. I use everything I have left to force the shovel in deeper. The thing reels back. I can feel it running. It is running away.

Everything goes quiet again, so I close my eyes.

"Over here, I found one," a wave of pain rushes through my chest, my eyes dart open. There's a light, I try to get out of the way but I cannot move. The light shouts, "Hurry, he's not going to last very long."

I try to talk, but a new voice speaks instead, "Doesn't matter, if he can survive that, they want his sample for the next batch."

They are lifting me onto something. I catch glimpses of shimmering gold.

"This is a bad idea. I mean why would you trust a Grineer soldier?" The figure presses something into my arm and I want to sleep again.

The new voice laughs, "Do we have any choice?"

Edited by NikodemosTheMan

looks like de didn't quite seal up the information properly for the 3 day grace period. oh what luck. 

If this was a slip-up, then it is one that DE should not attempt to fix.

I never saw the "countdown to unlock" timer, but if the lore was supposed to have a three day countdown, that'd be stupid as hell.

It can't be. They said in a livestream that cloning kills the sample, and the Queens are very much alive. I think...

Yeah see... we don't really know how the Queens operate.  They could be outrageously beautiful, or pretty much brains strapped to machines.  Though the latter wouldn't be nearly so impressive nor shocking, honestly.  Beautiful wouldn't be shocking either, but at a glance anyone would know, "these chicks are in charge."

Still, only explanation I got for female Grineer looking more intact than the wrinkly male counterparts.  I understand that the sample clones are born from has a shelf life, hence why Grineer have to be constantly recloned from clones.  I'd like to think that the process they use is more like recycling - you literally can't create two bodies from a single body, extra juices have to go into the process to make up for the missing materials.  However, we also have to believe the Grineer are locked into using specific DNA types, since it should be a no brainer if the current DNA sample has degraded to the point that a clone's sample is more stable, why not just get a fresh, normal human to serve as the sample, instead of going to lengths to rebuild the DNA sequence of the current line of samples?

Thus, I believe that if the sample is coming from the Queens, not a whole lot of a sample is required, but ONLY the queens (and their "children") can provide the sample, but the process still isn't perfect. As for the males, they're in such a bad shape that the whole body needs to get tossed in just to piece together something that works.

Simplest case scenario however - DE's art team decided they wanted to keep the females semi-fresh to make them easier to distinguish from the males.  Also possibly a case of beauty > lore.

Im pretty sure this is about a Grineer miner/soldier working in a mine in the outer terminus which then comes under attack from a Sentient. The entity is described as shining light and seems to make the mining machines sttrike the miners. He wonder why this attack is happing as they serve the Orokin but realizes its not a Orokin. As the light attacks him it hits him with a machine which pins him to the ground and the light moves in for the kill. He then somehow defeats it with his shovel and as he lay dying the someone takes a sample of him for a batch which is probaly clones.

Does this mean the Grineer were miners in the outer terminus?

I'm hoping the countdown is for something else entirely, and the lore is what is unlocked upon reaching 100%.

Also, ideally, reaching 100% should also trigger the next target - if Simaris is going to laze about and not process all but the superficial data as it's coming in, then at least have us hunt for something else as he mucks about in his study.

If this was a slip-up, then it is one that DE should not attempt to fix.

I never saw the "countdown to unlock" timer, but if the lore was supposed to have a three day countdown, that'd be stupid as hell.

stupid as hell yeah, but entirely like de

No way, there's way too much for me to comfortably type out.

It's more than a paragraph, though, which is better than my initial assumption.

It's cool. There's a thread dedicated to it now.

It can't be. They said in a livestream that cloning kills the sample, and the Queens are very much alive. I think...

Could you link to that? I don't recall it.

Could you link to that? I don't recall it.

I think what he's talking about is concept art for a Grineer cloning machine, where a marine would step in, get recycled and out comes a cloned Grineer.

It can be found here, scroll towards the bottom.

Wait so if someone scans in your party that counts towards your rep limit for all factions for the day?

If thats the case not only am i not scanning any more but ill kill every one i see in public games.

The rewards from this faction are useless, im not wasting rep points on that.

Not sure if serious, or just new.