Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Half Life 2 Is Boring

MechaTails

I got around to playing HL2, the new updated fan edition with better textures and whatever, and it's not the amazing experience I hear it is.

I'm still early into the game, so far I've gotten to where you're crawling through the canals/sewers. The jist of my adventure so far is a few characters filling me in on stuff I should probably know from the first game, shooting the same enemy units over and over again, and traversing bland dilapidated industrial/railroad settings. The sewers were actually a welcome change.

Does this game get exciting at some point? Do I get to wrestle alien dinosaurs or something? At least the black/orange suit looks cool, too bad I never get to see it since it's first person :/

yes, Half Life (both games) get more extravagant as things progress on. same goes for 2.1 and 2.2 (Epiode 1 isn't long enough to stand on it's own IMO but Episode 2 could be a game of it's own)

games like this are either something you like and appreciate, or don't.

it's more about story telling and interesting scenery than lots of replayability or super deep gameplay.

if you don't click with the Characters, that'll be a shame. but everyone doesn't enjoy the same books, Et Cetera.

Edited by taiiat

I got around to playing HL2, the new updated fan edition with better textures and whatever, and it's not the amazing experience I hear it is.

I'm still early into the game, so far I've gotten to where you're crawling through the canals/sewers. The jist of my adventure so far is a few characters filling me in on stuff I should probably know from the first game, shooting the same enemy units over and over again, and traversing bland dilapidated industrial/railroad settings. The sewers were actually a welcome change.

Does this game get exciting at some point? Do I get to wrestle alien dinosaurs or something? At least the black/orange suit looks cool, too bad I never get to see it since it's first person :/

Its because people hyped the S#&$ out of it even after its release so your expectations are extremely high.

It seems you started playing half life 2 with the completely wrong expectations.

My expectations were somewhere between a spirited game of badmington and a stick of gum.

Out of curiosity, have you played the first one?

I only know about HL2 from skimming rave forum posts and memes, never played part 1.

So far it's a subpar game that makes me wish I was doing something more productive, glad to hear it gets better as it goes on.

At least it's fun to bash those little flying robots with the crowbar lol

Edited by DarkTails

Half life 2 was interesting because it was ahead of it's time. It's a legacy game, playing it back when it was relevant would have had you highly impressed by it. By todays standards it's probly pretty average. It has vehicle sections, neat and innovative weapons, and interesting puzzles.