Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are The Tennos Energy Or Flesh? How Is Warframe And Dark Sector Connected?

arche

DE has said while Dark Sector and Warframe happen in the same universe, the difference in time between the two was made so that they don't really have to follow what was set in Dark Sector.

Remember what Dark Sector ended up being wasn't what they wanted to make. Here's the original reveal trailer.

The Dark sector we got is really only the spiritual predecessor to Warframe. 

Well here is a crazy theory tying this all together. Not something i mean serious. Just some fun handwaving connecting the two games and the trailer.

First the events of the Dark Sector game happend. Hayden destroyed the Agency and their secrets were sold on the world wide grey market. In the time after the destruction of the Agency, the technocyte allowed great breakthroughs in nano technology. Planets were colonized, solar rails were build and first terraforming was started.

Because of his role in the destruction of the Agency Hayden Tenno's became a legend and his DNA was regular used to create super spies. Ala. the Ghola from Dune.

What we see in the 2005 trailer is actualy the past of Warframe. A Hayden Tenno clone performing sabotage operations against the ancient Corpus Trade Union who used tailor made Grineer corp clone mercenaries as secruity guards.

Eventualy the Orokin (maybe a mega corp or powerfull off world colony) emerged as the most powerfull faction, created their empire and the whole Sentient business happend. One of the Hayden Tenno gholas was on board of the fatefull ship that got send into the Void.

Because of his legacy the Orokin scientist tried to stablize his mutation by fusing a techncoyte strain with him, creating the Proto-Excalibur.

But this isn't the same ember we play as. We create frames based on that ember...so that lore entry is irrelevant to the argument.

Ok, so lets see:

Children are send to the void.

Something is done or happens to them causing them to mutate but still remain human looking enough.

Kallen goes investigate and find the child that will become the Ember.

Original Ember Tenno burns Kaleen.

Ember Warframe is made around the Tenno so they can use it to better conduit her affliction (Excal's Entry)

And according to you, we now create Warframes that can conduit the Tenno's energy but it has no Tenno inside to make said energy.... WHAT?!

We make the Warframes, but we NEED a Tenno inside or it will just be an empty Armor, just like Rotten Salad did with a Mesa Warframe.

Lotus: That is not a Tenno, that is just a Warframe controled by infested flesh. Put it out of its misery.

There IS a Tenno inside every Warframe for it to function right, Ember's lore IS relevant.

At 16 second mark Alad V dismembers an Excalibur just before he brings up the Mag that the other Tenno are trying to rescue. Don't know if DE were intending to or not (guessing they were) but they've made the inside of the frame dark enough that you can't tell if there is flesh there or not (though there are small hot glowing areas within the cavity suggesting something is there. Damn you DE and your vagueness!!! 

Edited by KracsNZ

30u4v0p.jpg

Not sure if you're trying to reference that as proof that the Tenno are energy beings, because that doesn't really say that. Just saying we are the energy that powers the frame. Nothing in the games universe (*yet*) that says that a creature of flesh and blood can't possess vast pools of energy.

let me leave the following quotes from the game.

excalibur codex:

We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them

mag prime codex:

A Tenno inside its Warframe. Vaguely human, vaguely feminine. Was this armor or some ornate carapace for the monster that lived inside?

Lech Kril:

Beneath those suits exist flesh. Flesh bleeds.

Does that second-skin peel away just as easy as the first?

Lotus:

Alad V's newest prototype is a monstrosity forged from the bodies of our fallen Tenno

Sargus Ruk:

What flesh is within that Warframe? I will crush it. I will fill my lungs with your death!

Lephantis:

Unburden yourself from this mortal coil

"Why do you destroy us? We are your flesh

Ordis:

Well, perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will use more... caution.

i cannot see how anyone can believe we are not creatures who were suits, even after the game has explicitly said it so many times.

Edited by HillsAndTheSea

snip

while yes it is canon that the tenno "wear" the frames, it is still not clear to what capacity that is. Is it telepathically, physically, spiritually? Nobody knows. 

And as for the argument of flesh and a frames ability to "bleed" we also don't know what the frames themselves are made of, or if they themselves have flesh. I've always been under the belief that our frames are organic, and that in turn they do have their own form of flesh, whether their is more meat underneath that layer I have no idea. 

From the lore we have so far...

Tenno were once human-like beings and... were infected with the "Technocyte" virus that mutated us and subsequently exposed to the void.

Tenno can die.

The Warframes are tools that encase something.  The frames don't have any/much power on their own but they shape the power of the Tenno inside.

The "Tenno" we're ostensibly playing as is a single individual wearing multiple Warframes and can pick up new Warframes to use new/different powers.

The Warframes contain flesh.

...I think that's all we "know."  Everything else is inferred. From what I've seen in the game and the various NPC comments and lore from the Prime frame codexes we still have lots of flex room in our interpretations.

1. The Tenno are shapeshifting X-men/Green Lantern hybrids.

The Tenno all possess a raw "void" power/energy that might have flavor to it already(Ember Prime Codex) but it is difficult if not impossible to control and shape to any serious use.  The Tenno require the Warframes to focus their power and in the process they can "translate" it into different forms.  In theory the child from the Ember codex would be able to wear the Necros frame and channel her power into raising the dead.  Part of the Tenno's void abilities or infection allows their bodies to bend and contort into many shapes. This might mean the Tenno are mostly human looking. Or it might mean they look like vaguely human infested monsters covered in growths and teeth.  Their horrifying infected bodies being poured into vaguely human shapes.

2. Tenno are immaterial beings and are able to jump between frame-hosts.

Inside each Warframe is flesh.  Perhaps it's a whole entity or perhaps it's just part of the bio-tech inside.  The flesh might be the original tenno children's bodies. Or what's left of them.  The original few dozen/hundred Tenno were used as material to build these Warframes and remains.  Every "Ember" has pieces of the original child whose twisted flesh can impart fire powers to the Warframe.  The part that jumps and "wears" different Warframes is something beyond the physical.  Perhaps a digitized entity, like the Cephalon.  Maybe it's spiritual, the soul of the Tenno was torn out of them in the void and now can jump between Warframes.  Perhaps the Tenno had their souls ripped from their bodies in the void and can only interact with the world through the Warframes.  In this case the original "Ember"s soul is one of the countless Tenno that run around in the system.

Uhm, those are the two big ones that I can think of.  Mostly we just need some more questions answered.  Are there multiple "Ember" frames? Are we suppose to assume that all the other Tenno are using unique frames and just plug our ears and go "lalala" lore wise when two Nova show up on one team?  What can Tenno do? Can we speak? Do we ever "remove" the frames Or do we just beam from one to the other?

The only thing I do know as the lore stands. We are not humans in any reasonable sense.

Oh, I forgot to bring up Ordis.  That last bit about how "Are there multiple embers" I believe we are suppose to assume that Ordis is unique to us. There is only one Ordis and everyone else who is not you has a fully functional ship AI.  I'm almost 100% sure that's true.  If it is then are the quests also unique?  Only "me" ever does the Limbo/Mirage/Chroma quests?  If that's so then is there also only one Limbo/Chroma/Mirage, the one that "I" found?  And I'm suppose to ignore the others I encounter.

That might give weight to the idea that there's only one of each warframe.

Well, but then, what are Prime frames...?

-snip-

your questions were already answered by the game.

there indeed more than one of each warframe.

the chroma quest has a chroma in that is not you, meaning there are instantly two chromas, invalidating your theory. 

you basically create blueprint to make your own suit, the same trend being done in the limbo and mirage quests.

originally, each tenno was made its own warframe to perfect its abilites and give it a better appearance

they would then reuse the blueprints for a different tenno to craft another suit for a different tenno. eventually the tenno started to make their own warframes, and replicated the prime ones with substitute the materials, leading to our current frames.

your questions were already answered by the game.

there indeed more than one of each warframe.

the chroma quest has a chroma in that is not you, meaning there are instantly two chromas, invalidating your theory. 

you basically create blueprint to make your own suit, the same trend being done in the limbo and mirage quests.

Oh oh! That's a good point! You collect the BPs for Chroma as you do the quest, once you have the built parts you STILL encounter a Chroma. Meaning two copies of at least some of the frame.  Mirage/Limbo could have gone either way.  Limbo is implied to have shredded and scattered itself across the void and you're picking up the pieces.  But you're right.  Chroma tells us some things about the nature of the frames.

So then we are single beings that change warframes AND there are multiple copies of every frame.  But that still doesn't explain how we change warframes.  Is there a meaty being in there squeezing into Necros, Rhino, Mag, Mesa, and Saryn? How?  Are they shapeshifters?  What do they look like under there?  If they're not shapeshifters then how?  Are we energy beings possessing the frames?  But then what is the "flesh" inside them that people talk about?

Maybe I should go back to scanning Anti-moa...

Oh oh! That's a good point! You collect the BPs for Chroma as you do the quest, once you have the built parts you STILL encounter a Chroma. Meaning two copies of at least some of the frame.  Mirage/Limbo could have gone either way.  Limbo is implied to have shredded and scattered itself across the void and you're picking up the pieces.  But you're right.  Chroma tells us some things about the nature of the frames.

So then we are single beings that change warframes AND there are multiple copies of every frame.  But that still doesn't explain how we change warframes.  Is there a meaty being in there squeezing into Necros, Rhino, Mag, Mesa, and Saryn? How?  Are they shapeshifters?  What do they look like under there?  If they're not shapeshifters then how?  Are we energy beings possessing the frames?  But then what is the "flesh" inside them that people talk about?

Maybe I should go back to scanning Anti-moa...

Nobody knows what happened to the tenno during their exposure to the void, perhaps it did make them amorphous beings. Or perhaps even turned them into energy beings, maybe even just set the tracks for such. Very little is know about the tenno outside what you just mentioned, there is more than one and frames are simply suits. 

But as to the flesh on the inside, there's nothing to suggest the frames themselves aren't organic to a large extent (would seem befitting as weapons of biological warfare) and that's why they are capable of bleeding and so forth. 

Nobody knows what happened to the tenno during their exposure to the void, perhaps it did make them amorphous beings. Or perhaps even turned them into energy beings, maybe even just set the tracks for such. Very little is know about the tenno outside what you just mentioned, there is more than one and frames are simply suits. 

But as to the flesh on the inside, there's nothing to suggest the frames themselves aren't organic to a large extent (would seem befitting as weapons of biological warfare) and that's why they are capable of bleeding and so forth. 

Yeah, I know we don't have that much to go on but I *like* speculating and seeing what other people's thoughts are.

And you're right again. Some of the Warframes are likely partially organic.  Chroma with it's pelt springs to mind, again.

And can I just say, I will be super disappoint if the Tenno turn out to be sexy supermodels or something under the helmets

-snip-

the technocyte virus.

the infested and tenno have similar powers overall, control of form is probably one of them.

lephantis also refers to us "sharing the same flesh" and "embraces us", while the tenno arent infested per se, they do share the same disease.

another subtle hint, is that the chroma in the codex is under the infested faction, as opposed to neutral, or his own faction like the stalker.