Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game Crashes Nvidia Display Driver (April 2015)

FrostHunter24

We are still working to resolve this issue. Can anyone please confirm whether or not this display driver crash happens with v-sync enabled?

I have crashed with Vsync enabled through the Nvidia control panel, but have not tried in game. Will try once login servers are back up.

After I gave up my old amd cup (crashes and freeze while hosting since 16.5),

I built a new powerful pc:

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 4790K

GTX 980 (driver: 352.86  WHQL)

16G DDR3 1866

warframe installed in intel 530 series 480G SDD

Internet 100Mb

But

U16.6 is now game breaking!

My game performance drops like hell.

OK

my FPS before update 16.6

Liset: 400~450

Solo mission: 250~350

Raid:: 180~250

FPS after update 16.6

Liset: 60~400

Solo mission: 50~120

Raid:: 19~50

The fps drop can happen even when idling in liset.

This is just so wrong!

Check your RAM XMP settings in your BIOS, as per here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/402851-very-low-gpu-usage-with-980-gtx-i7-4770k-any-980-owners-out-there/page-2

We are still working to resolve this issue. Can anyone please confirm whether or not this display driver crash happens with v-sync enabled?

It was on all this time when the crash happened, tried turning it off after reading this and no white screen for about 35-40 min in a t4 surv mission .. so far so good.

Playing with dx10, win7 x64 ultimate.

Edit: got white screen again, not so much as before, but it's starting to get more and more.

Edited by DarkeTH

DE_Dmitri,

Had my first NVIDIA driver crash since the 16.6 patches. Still running driver 345.20. Overall it's been a lot more stable. I'ved updated my latest EE.log (filename 5-30-2015_EE.log) to my support ticket 352099. The log definitely looks a lot different than it used to, so it looks like it might be a different error this time. You will have to take a look at it and see what is going on in this case.

I have a EVGA GTX 980 FTW ACX 2.0, i5 2500K, Win7 64 and my drivers also crash. The game freezes for a second, then I see my Dektop but I am still in the game. I hear sounds, can fire my weapon, do everything. I just cant see anything. Switching windows with ALT-TAB does not restore the Warframe-Window.

I have been experiencing the same problems. I was running a GTX660TI previously that was stable and rarely (if ever) crashed.

After upgrading to the GTX980 FTW, it ran smooth until just after the tubemen update. I didn't have an issue through the event, but a patch after the event is when I started to have issues. I tried adjusting the settings and rolling back drivers, nothing has made it go away, but it has gotten a little better.

Edited by SluggoV2

This may seem like an odd question but are any of you running Google Chrome while playing Warframe? If so, I would suggest going into your Chrome settings and removing the checkmark next to "Use hardware acceleration when available".

We have found that removing this could help alleviate the issue with Warframe if you are running Google Chrome at the same time. Alternatively you could try not running Google Chrome at all however you would need to make sure that you end all instances of "chrome.exe" in your Task Manager > "Processes" tab. 

Please let me know if this helps at all. Thanks a lot!

This may seem like an odd question but are any of you running Google Chrome while playing Warframe? If so, I would suggest going into your Chrome settings and removing the checkmark next to "Use hardware acceleration when available".

We have found that removing this could help alleviate the issue with Warframe if you are running Google Chrome at the same time. Alternatively you could try not running Google Chrome at all however you would need to make sure that you end all instances of "chrome.exe" in your Task Manager > "Processes" tab. 

omg. yes. yes i do run chrome while i play warframe. almost all the time.

the only problems i have had to date with crashing etc. is that, if i play in full screen and chrome is open. when i go to the void some times the game minimizes and i cant reopen warframe at all. the client itself does not crash. it just minimizes and i end up having to end task in task manager.

most of the times all i have open in chrome is twitter and sometimes youtube. nothing else. my solution for the minimizing thing was to play in windowed mode. it runs as perfect as possible in windowed mode.

but i'll do as you requested and report back.

Hmmmm interesting. I don't always have chrome running, but often I do have the warframe wiki open in the background in case I need to lookup something. I'll try and make a note to see if I have chrome open when it crashes.

Yes, I pretty much always have Chrome running. I set harware acceleration off and restarted Chrome as it said to do, still crashed within 5 minutes; I then closed Chrome (And pretty much everything that isn't warframe, explorer, and task manager) and was able to run all 6 syndicate dalies, and 6 more after they reset with no crash. Will try again tomorrow with everything but Chrome running and see if its the same, but first impressions are VERY good.

Edited by kildyu

even if the chrome running with hardware accel at the same time as warframe is the cause, i really hope this can be fixed in the future

as i know that i am not alone in wanting/liking to be able to alt-tab back-n-forth between the game and the internet

god knows that 90% of the information needed to play the game is only found on the wiki anyways and not anywhere in the game =/

I can barely play anymore. My display drivers seem to crash whenever I look out of the Liset's canopy for more than 2.5 seconds, and this includes when I'm logging in and the game basically forces me to look.

Of course we do? Who doesn't run a browser at the same time as a game? Chrome is the most popular browser too.

Yes, I pretty much always have Chrome running. I set harware acceleration off and restarted Chrome as it said to do, still crashed within 5 minutes; I then closed Chrome (And pretty much everything that isn't warframe, explorer, and task manager) and was able to run all 6 syndicate dalies, and 6 more after they reset with no crash. Will try again tomorrow with everything but Chrome running and see if its the same, but first impressions are VERY good.

Crashed again, after closing Chrome, but it did take a few hours.

After looking through numerous log files it appears many of you are seeing Nvidia's TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) that has recently become a much larger problem over the past few weeks. I can confirm that we have seen this in the studio as well, and while none of our solutions appear to have stopped the problem on the latest drivers, I highly recommend that anyone who experiences this to roll back their drivers until they no longer crash while playing Warframe. 

Unfortunately I cannot give a definitive answer as to which driver you should roll back to since this appears to vary between each user. For some people it is the latest 353.06 drivers, for others they need to go all the way back to the 337.88 drivers. Of course the driver available to you may differ based on which GPU you are using. In studio I was able to alleviate the crash using driver version 345.20. 

How to determine whether or not your crash is a TDR: 

Once your game or your PC crashes, you will want to use Windows Search to find "Event Viewer"

Inside Event Viewer open "Custom Views" and then click on "Administrative Events"

Tg6kLbb.jpg

Next you will want to look through the list of events and find out exactly what happened at the time your game crashed.

If you see the following:

hC38mZw.jpg

and / or

LJAlEyb.jpg

Then this means you have crashed as a result of a TDR and will likely need to roll back your drivers.  

For a number of people the solution has been to disable Hardware Acceleration on Google Chrome (as mentioned in my previous post), although this does not work for everyone. Nvidia is currently investigating the issue, however there is unfortunately not an ETA on when it will be fixed.

More information on this problem can be found here:

Another potential solution is to disable your NVIDIA High Definition Audio from your device manager. Shown here: 

UUH1CP1.jpg

If you are using more than one GPU then you will want to try disabling both audio devices. This should only be a problem for anyone who connects their speakers via. HDMI or are using the speakers in their HDMI monitor.

--

I apologize for any inconvenience that this issue has caused as we have been actively trying to find a solution to it on our end. Once I have a definitive answer I will be sure to let everyone know. Until then I would suggest trying the fixes mentioned in this thread as well as anything that you may find in the Nvidia forums.

I'd just like to say that it's fantastic to see a detailed post explaining what's going on, and that you really are working on this.

+1

rly. thanks for keeping us up to date on this

on my end i have started playing fullscreen with no web browser open at all and have not experienced any crashes since. i'm using the latest drivers nvidia released.

Disabled the nvidia audio driver and installed the 353.06 driver. No crash after about 3 hours now. Also found from the Nvidia forum links a dump is being made for each crash here c:\windows\livekernelreport so I'm sending those to support to see if they provide any useful information.