Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Workshop Mods Now Have Paid Option

Morgax

http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-allows-mod-makers-to-sell-their-creations-on-steam/

So far only Skyrim has received such model, basically when you own Skyrim (On PC, console modding is clunkier) you have the option to mod it eitherway through Steam workshop or through other sites such as Nexus.

Problem is so far modders did it for free and you had an option to donate to them directly without middle man involved (Steam in this case).

Another major problem currently is that there seems to be an issue of Mod piracy, a person who was not involved in mod creation process can easily put up the mod under his name and play a patience game with mod original creator.

What do you think about these news, do you support this idea or would alter it? Or downright remove it?

Huh...Now I would consider something like this worth a debate. But in all honesty, the fact bethesda is allowing this is awesome, I mean...it's a little different than artists selling their artwork. This may even eventually bloom into people being able to commission mods for skyrim, spending money to get a certain mod created.

I'm hoping Valve sees the problem with this. We need a donate option, not a paywall.

I get the feeling the crap mods will cost money, and the good ones will be free.

More like the crap mod creators will make theirs paid, and the good guys will make theirs free.

If I could have a paid and free option of a mod I made, I'd totally do that. Like some people do on the Android store or whatever.

I support the notion that artists / programmers can now be paid for their time.

This will bring in a lot more fans in who will work harder and longer since now there is actual money on the line. (hopefully)

I do think that there will first be a sludge of crappy paid mods flooding the mod pages, but after a while more professional works of art will appear.

Dammit

I liked free mods.

if all mods become free   I wonder how much my modded skyrim would be worth?

But I don't really like this being someone who doesn't have that much money to spend on games,  but for the mod devellopers it's awesome.

Faalskaar's dev deserves some money for how awesome he made his mod

The only problem I see with this is....now not only are we running into DLC we have to pay for, now it's mods we have to pay for. Key word "Have" to pay for. If they made it so we could DL the mod for free with the option of paying/donating to the creator, that would be fine. But forcing us to pay to get it is....just awkward feeling, considering we have to also pay for DLC.

The best thing about User Generated Content was it was something new, and it was free. Essentially it was free DLC for the game. Now they are making it where we HAVE to pay. Now if there are 'free' versions of these mods and paid ones, fine, like perhaps the paid one is more stable, gets more frequent updates, ect ect, that would be fine.

But if there is a free version of a mod that adds in just a house and a new sword, but the paid version adds in a five hour quest line...i'd honestly feel a little gimped.

I bet some modders will stop update or remove their mods from Nexus and re-/upload 'em in Workshop.

I'm currently not in the Skyrim modding loop but from what i've seen Ineed mod was not updated in 2 months and pops out on Steam workshop with updated version.

Needless to say, some of nexus commenters were preparing pitchforks and torches.

Edited by Morgax

One of the largest flaws I just found out was that you can pay for it - copy the files - then get a refund for the item. Place the copy back into your folders and presto! You got the mod for free anyhow. It'll be interesting to see how this is handled.

Reading further, more legal problems seem to be rising.

Having different assets from another mods might an issue (may lead to lawsuit)

I have no idea about the percentage of how many modders use softwares such as 3dsMax under the student licence(Guilty myself of actually doing some armor modding for my own purposes)

but they technically can't charge money for product produced with the help of this software as long as it is still under student licence.

Feels rather rushed without ironing out these issues.

Edited by Morgax