Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The 'tenno Are Energy' Theory Is Busted

(XBOX)Grihaly

If I'm not mistaken... 'ten' means 'heaven' and 'no' is a possessive particle, so literally, Tenno means 'something that belongs to the heavens'. Is that wrong?

Depends on the Kanji. They have words that are spelled exactly the same in Hiragana/Katakana but mean completely different things. This is of course, assuming we are talking about Japanese. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for Chinese.

Edited by Avenwing

Depends on the Kanji. They have words that are spelled exactly the same in Hiragana/Katakana but mean completely different things. This is of course, assuming we are talking about Japanese. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for Chinese.

True, although "Tenno" in the most commonly used context does indeed translate to, roughly, "from Heaven" - which is why it's part of the Emperor's title.

Interestingly, Void is also the fifth element in the Japanese system, but it's probably in a different context nonetheless.

But where is my option to have them at least yell while attacking like Valkyr?

And to make Helios say 'Hey! Listen!' every so often when it scans or uses DV?

(Bad Zelda joke, but really, I would go for it.)

Make it so you make Links noise like "HYAAAAAAAAAA" "HYA HYU HYAAA" whenever you use melee.

Interestingly, Void is also the fifth element in the Japanese system, but it's probably in a different context nonetheless.

I was not aware of that. That's actually very interesting and probably part of the reasoning for the void. Edited by Avenwing

If I'm not mistaken... 'ten' means 'heaven' and 'no' is a possessive particle, so literally, Tenno means 'something that belongs to the heavens'. Is that wrong?

True, although "Tenno" in the most commonly used context does indeed translate to, roughly, "from Heaven" - which is why it's part of the Emperor's title.

david-awe-o.gif

I have a Theory.

Tenno = Orokin that went into the void, became so twisted they were able to separate their energy from their physical body, thus allowing them to be transplanted into biomechanical / biotransitional constructs. This separation caused the original body to die, so the Orokin needed to build them the Warframes. Tenno can swap constructs and bodies like clothing or a suit. This adaptability and even limited immortality meant they were superior weapons to all other created warriors.

Low Guardians = Orokin who also went into the void, were warped but not to the point that they could separate their energy from their body. Because of this lack of adaptability, these 'Low Guardians' (such as Tenshin, Stalker and perhaps even Lotus) are survivors of the Orokin era, but are not Tenno, even though they command respect and have Tenno-like traits.

This separation is what caused the Low Guardians to feel loyalty to the Orokin. They were not as disembodied as the Tenno and that made them resentful of the power granted to the otherwise immortal Tenno. When the tenno slaughtered the Orokin and went into their hibernation to forget the bloodshed, they left the angry, non-changeable but otherwise ageless Low Guardians behind.

Makes sense to me...

I have a Theory.

Tenno = Orokin that went into the void, became so twisted they were able to separate their energy from their physical body, thus allowing them to be transplanted into biomechanical / biotransitional constructs. This separation caused the original body to die, so the Orokin needed to build them the Warframes. Tenno can swap constructs and bodies like clothing or a suit. This adaptability and even limited immortality meant they were superior weapons to all other created warriors.

Low Guardians = Orokin who also went into the void, were warped but not to the point that they could separate their energy from their body. Because of this lack of adaptability, these 'Low Guardians' (such as Tenshin, Stalker and perhaps even Lotus) are survivors of the Orokin era, but are not Tenno, even though they command respect and have Tenno-like traits.

This separation is what caused the Low Guardians to feel loyalty to the Orokin. They were not as disembodied as the Tenno and that made them resentful of the power granted to the otherwise immortal Tenno. When the tenno slaughtered the Orokin and went into their hibernation to forget the bloodshed, they left the angry, non-changeable but otherwise ageless Low Guardians behind.

Makes sense to me...

The Oro is the big qestion here. And it all sepend on a few factors.

1) The Zariman. Misstake or no? There are a few returnees, not legions of them.

2) The children in the Zariman were actual children, not void ghosts.

3) The proto rhino. Was that a warframe, or a future Tenno?

4) The low Guardians can use warframes becauase they went to the Void after the Zariman? I am thinking of Stalker here. Then why not use the Guardians?

Or do you mean that Tenno are easier to control?

I am still not a fan of the void ghost idea. Because this basically means that Tenno IS the Oro.

Still not sure about any of this after two years.

I just read a Thread about who the Tenno are about a year old. The same theories, exept the Oro, existed back then too.

As for the word tenno:

In Japanese, the Emperor is called Tennō (天皇), which means "heavenly sovereign". In English, the use of the term Mikado (帝) for the Emperor was once common, but is now considered obsolete.[2]

As for the word tenno:

In Japanese, the Emperor is called Tennō (天皇), which means "heavenly sovereign". In English, the use of the term Mikado (帝) for the Emperor was once common, but is now considered obsolete.[2]

Just looked it up in my kanji book and it is in fact read Tennoo. One of the reasons I hate Kanji so much is how that first character is read Ten and the second Oo, put the two together and you get Tennoo. And to those of you that think that's the same it isn't, it's a small difference that can change the meaning of what you say completely.

Edited by Avenwing

1) The Zariman. Misstake or no? There are a few returnees, not legions of them.

2) The children in the Zariman were actual children, not void ghosts.

4) The low Guardians can use warframes becauase they went to the Void after the Zariman? I am thinking of Stalker here. Then why not use the Guardians?

I'm gonna answer these in order.

1) I think the Zariman was an experiment form the Oro. The kids were in the void sure and were probably part of the exposure test to see how long it would take for a Tenno to be recreated. I am thinking that the Tenno were a freak concurrence and many tries to replicate them turned into what are now called the Low Guardians. Remember at the end, the person in charge seemed to know exactly what they were doing. The ones who didn't 'survive' actually became the Tenno. I refer to answer 3 below.

2) See answer 1 above.

3) I think the development of the Warframes took some time. Partly made with neural tissues and flesh, who is to say the prototypes were self-sustaining or born crazy? Remember it stopped dead when it reached the bodies. Who is to say that when it got close, the energy of the Tenno from the corpse didn't hop to the proto-rhino, halting it as it took control? Looking at its hands, sudden realization? Sounds like someone who just found themselves in an unfamiliar body.

4) From what we know, the Warframes require void energy. Let's assume Lotus, Tenshin and Stalker are all Low Guardians. They can channel void powers and can use abilities, but it is like a tank commander who can only pilot one kind of tank. Imagine if the warframes were tanks. You have a commander who can pilot one type of tank. But then you have a commander who can pilot any armored vehicle your throw them into flawlessly. Who do you think is going to get favored treatment? Remember the warframes are weapons first and foremost, developed in desperation and used without knowing the full extent of their power or how in control they were.

To me, the Orokin are not a race, they are a society. Humans who were so advanced that they basically put themself into a technological corner when pushed up against the Sentients. No drone weapons or automated guns to fight for them. The Old Ways may as well read 'getting their hands dirty.'

Once they were dead... well, up came the Grineer and the Corpus from the ruins.

I think it was proto warframe. Warframe is a bio organism corrupted  and modified by technocryte virus.

Tenno is the energy being. They are probably created when humans are exposed to the void. Tenno is like soul that can control the warframes.

Davis in the Rhino Prime lore probably discovered such connection. He lured the warframe in to the morgue there bodies of humans exposed to the void were stored. Tenno are probably sealed in their previous bodies. Once the proto Rhino appeared one of the Tenno entered inside it and assumed control. Thus proto Rhino stopped "looking at its hands".

You can even relate to how the warframes are build in game. First we need to build chasis, helmet and systems - mechanical components. But when we need three days to finish warframe. What takes three days My answer is that the biological body of warframe grows three days inside the chasis,

Edited by igo95862

Also, Ripal; I believe it's already been mentioned that we have likely become more than the original Tenno were, have continued to evolve as it were. I'm going to catch hell for referencing Dark Sector and WarFrame's Infested here (how dare I use lore that is in both games, shame on me, just because it's in Dark Sector proves it false! Of course! ... Can you tell I'm a little salted on this yet?) that almost anything related to the Technocyte grows in power as it grows in age. We are older, and have gone through much, therefore we became stronger. We learn from Valkyr, Mirage, and Limbo's lore that we are likely not the first of the Tenno, and I find it a bit of a stretch that one can imply that the same rules apply to them as to us, especially when we consistantly use revives and wake up back on our ship whenever we 'die'... something at least Mirage was never able to do, and Limbo was unable to do thanks to what he did to himself at least.

TL;DR

We can survive death more efficiently than some of the original Tenno can.

Perhaps Vor commenting on us being 'stronger than the others' has something to do with this? Still waiting on DE for more lore to discover.

Well, the idea is that if the Tenno are energy beings, they cannot die at all, which is supported by gameplay, but not exactly by lore. And the fear of Tenno dying is also applied to the player character, meaning each and every player/modern Tenno does have a chance of dying lore-wise. Either that or Lotus hasn't noticed that the modern Tenno can be torn in half and get back up like nothing happened.

Interesting, and here, copied part of the codex.

Davis in the Rhino Prime lore probably discovered such connection. He lured the warframe in to the morgue there bodies of humans exposed to the void were stored. Tenno are probably sealed in their previous bodies. Once the proto Rhino appeared one of the Tenno entered inside it and assumed control. Thus proto Rhino stopped "looking at its hands".

I feel the pull on my arm and realize Davis got the cell open. He tugs me into the cell beyond and I fall on my back. I see Davis standing at the open door, waiting, as the monster tears towards us. 

Suddenly I could live through this I shout, "Davis, close the goddamn door!" - But he shakes his head eyes wide as moons. He shouts, "Watch!" over the roaring and rending of metal. 

Then silence. Davis is panting, laughing? The beast fills the doorway, inches from him, dripping in blood, but still without violence. It stands there, looking at its hands. Davis whispers, "No one would have believed me." 

I crawl up the wall to stand, opposite the door. I've never seen this cell, a cold place with an array of shelves. A morgue? "Where are we, Davis?" 
"This is where they keep them. The ones from Zariman." I'm thrown, what was the Zariman? The ship that never returned? "Davis, what's going on?" 

Davis turns to me, a smile forming - "What's going on is..." he turns back to the beast now silent and calm. 

"...big, fat promotions."

Ah. But there are complications.

Firstly the Lore clearly states that "we built a frame around the few who returned from that place" from "the place where our logic and science failed" "in their desperation they let the demons loose" and "it watched me with vague eyes. It knows who I am and what I have done, anscestral memory."

The rhino creature knows, from memory presumably genetic memory, where it is and this filles it with rage.

When it comes to the cold cell, it stops calm.

This then proves the Symbiot-theory. The warframe is alive and sentient. The pilot make up the other half.

Do this not further lend proof that the warframe is a tenno-clone infected by the technocyte? The child based to create the rhino suddenly remember he is/once was human.

The void eminating from the zariman-originals is what it senses and when realization that he is now a monster hits home, he stops in full shock.

As for the orokin exposing humans to the Void, they barely knew what they were doing. But they did know genetics. So the technocyte might be the key with its ability to channel energy and transform biomatter.

After all, Lephantis was made to fight in the Old War. But it is the Tenno, scary inhuman things, that make the difference.

I LIKE the tank-likeness.

One last thing. The requirement to survive the Void. Could it be technocyte?

We are your flesh!

Nothing returns from the fold.

More gasoline on the Lorefire!

Hum hum. Allso occured to me just now.

The orokin called them rejects. They desribe their condition as an affliction.

When they ran out of options, they turned them into weapons and named them Tenno, heavenly warriors.

Now, a reject is someone who is unwanted. Genetic failures and imperfections maby.

They may have been infested and disposed of in the Fold

Only they returned and not only survived, but gained powers from the trip.

They had an affliction -> void power

Twisted -> gained the Oro?

Rejected -> Outcast because of being infested.

Remade into warframes/trained soldier wizards and thrown into combat against the Senients who like them have been given the Oro, maby from the Void as well?

I keep coming back to the technocyte as the Tenno point of origin, as well as the name Tenno if Hayden Tenno ever existed, the First could have been given the TITLE Hayden Tenno.

The first warrior so to speak.

Thought

I don't think the test subject was a proto warframe so to speak, I think that its strain was used to make Rhino warframes; but I think the escaped test subject was a person the Orokin Biotechs were experimenting on to make infested bioweapons/soldiers. The subject escaped and started to kill everyone chasing after the two scientists in charge of poking and prodding it, coming to a rest only near the Children of Zariman. I think the children are the start of the future Tenno while the test subject is not a warframe per say, but an infested individual who was harvested to make Rhino suits.

guys check this out, and bear with me right.

what if.... WHAT IF.... each account had two tenno, one male, one female, sharing the liset. BOOM MIND BLOWN! (not really, this is a good read though!)

guys check this out, and bear with me right.

what if.... WHAT IF.... each account had two tenno, one male, one female, sharing the liset. BOOM MIND BLOWN! (not really, this is a good read though!)

You dare to simplify years of genderswapping ghost theories by something like that !!??!!

Yeah, that would have been much easier. Steve, why didn't you think of that?

The orokin called them rejects. They desribe their condition as an affliction.

It could mean the Orokin was unable to reliably control them and didn't fully understand their physiology since they were changed.

Too unpredictable to be used as weapons.

Well, we killed them in the end in a rebellion...

Its all screwy timeline perspectives imo. The last two synthesis-texts do not mention Tenno. They seem very contempory, and includes corpus, grineer, infested and corrupted.

Oh, and Orokin.

It all feels like less time passed than Lore would suggest. And that in turn feel like a retcon of passed events, like when the void was added.

Hard to imagine warframe without the void today, isn't it?

Grizzly, I'm confused as to your definition of 'easter egg'. Easter eggs don't come with lore, and are not integrated into the game in any way, shape, or fashion, they're meant to stand out as a reference. The proto-skin was meant to blend in, it has its own lore entries, and comes with the Lotus symbol we know so well. Excalibur's inscription was hidden quite well, and it's only due to the work of some of the more dedicated members of the WarFrame community that we have managed to interpret what it says... and it's always been there, and fits into the lore quite well, referencing a game that has been said to be about 50/50 WarFrame's prequel. The bunny ears or the Tenno moustaches are easter-eggs. This, by any definition I can look for, is most certainly not.

I explained it earlier in this thread, but I'm not going through 65 pages to find it, so I'll just explain it again:

It's like Marathon references in Halo, a blatant easter egg, but with its own lore for Halo. Take for example, the Security armor in Halo 3, it is an exact replica of the armor you wear in Marathon, but its description says it's for security forces yadda yadda whatever. Then the BoBs in Reach, they serve no purpose whatsoever other than being an easter egg, with their name coming from a type of NPC in Marathon. And then the abundance of Marathon logos throughout Halo, on of the most noticeable, is the logo on Guilty Spark's 'eye'. A clear easter egg of Marathon, but it was essentially made to be a symbol of the Forerunners. 

So that is how the Proto skins are easter eggs, with Warframe lore. Also, Dark Sector's concept was said to be about 4/10 canon with Warframe, final product Dark Sector, is much less canon.

@SilverBones I like where you're going with this.

I explained it earlier in this thread, but I'm not going through 65 pages to find it, so I'll just explain it again:

It's like Marathon references in Halo, a blatant easter egg, but with its own lore for Halo. Take for example, the Security armor in Halo 3, it is an exact replica of the armor you wear in Marathon, but its description says it's for security forces yadda yadda whatever. Then the BoBs in Reach, they serve no purpose whatsoever other than being an easter egg, with their name coming from a type of NPC in Marathon. And then the abundance of Marathon logos throughout Halo, on of the most noticeable, is the logo on Guilty Spark's 'eye'. A clear easter egg of Marathon, but it was essentially made to be a symbol of the Forerunners. 

So that is how the Proto skins are easter eggs, with Warframe lore. Also, Dark Sector's concept was said to be about 4/10 canon with Warframe, final product Dark Sector, is much less canon.

I think the important part is that: Yes, the Proto-armor and Nemesis Nyx really exist in the Warframe universe (I.E. they are not simply an OOC contrivance like the Easter bunny ears, or mustaches), and yes, they look like suits from the game Dark Sector. But that doesn't imply that the history of these suits in the Warframe universe matches the history of those suits in Dark Sector.

This comparison to Halo and Marathon is exactly like the reuse of assets in Dark Sector.

Halo reused or retconned things and so warframe.

Surely, the symbol of the Forerunners are no longer considered easter egg?

I understand the point made here, but is not the name Tenno and the Lotus reused in exactly the way you decsribe, Grizzly?

This comparison to Halo and Marathon is exactly like the reuse of assets in Dark Sector.

Halo reused or retconned things and so warframe.

Surely, the symbol of the Forerunners are no longer considered easter egg?

I understand the point made here, but is not the name Tenno and the Lotus reused in exactly the way you decsribe, Grizzly?

Forerunners had many symbols, the Marathon logo easter egg being just one of them.

As for that, I'm not sure what you mean... I'll try to answer your question, but again, not sure I understand it. Tenno was the last name of the protagonist of Dark Sector, it is also the name of the warrior race we play as in Warframe: not the same as DS. As for Lotus, I never played Dark Sector, so I'm not sure if there was a Lotus in that or whatever, but the Dark Sector logo was reused as the Lotus symbol in Warframe, or the old version of it, anyway. So, are you agreeing with me, or am I reading that wrong?