Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Male Or Female Choice

dckid1994

DE doesn't wanna do that because reasons - lore - coding - hassle- etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think gender changes would be awesome.  We could have a Male Mag with a different, complimentary set of powers to the female Mag.  But that's a lot of extra work that I doubt DE wants to do.

Edited by Noamuth

Possibly/probably lore reasons.  Also they would rather just make more unique frames than make gender-swapped frames. DE's stated they may at some point make alt-gender frames of similar themes IE: "Blaze, a male fire frame" but with still different powers from Ember.

Contrary to popular belief it really wouldn't be that hard however DE decided long ago each frame would be unique. I feel it gives each frame more personality and character having a single gender.

In Diablo 3 the characters lost a lot of flavor vs Diablo 2 where each character was wholly unique.

That said it would be fun to have a gender neutral frame to break the mold.

What's wrong with not having a gender choice? Gender plays no role in this game.

This!

Gender is simply an aesthetic.  Many games use sex appeal to sell their game (Play the stud or the hot babe and kick behind) what I love about Warframe is that it's not about that.  

Having more options on starter 'frames would be nice though.  A thread awhile back made a good point that some female gamers are turned away by the simple fact that the only female starter is Mag, and they don't want to have multiple of the same 'frame.  

But that's a different topic. XD

Contrary to popular belief it really wouldn't be that hard however DE decided long ago each frame would be unique. I feel it gives each frame more personality and character having a single gender.

In Diablo 3 the characters lost a lot of flavor vs Diablo 2 where each character was wholly unique.

That said it would be fun to have a gender neutral frame to break the mold.

At first glance, Mesa and Zephyr fill that role.  When they came out I honestly thought they were gender neutral until I heard DE calling them both her/she.

But a genuinely GN 'frame would be nice.

Not gonna happen. DE has said on several occasions that it simply wouldn't fit. There are however a few occasions where there are almost "brother-sister" frames. Excal and Nyx for example. And Loki and Mirage.

Besides, how exactly are you expecting a man the size of Frost to fit in an Ember Warframe? or a female the size of Mag to fill out a Rhino Warframe?

This!

Gender is simply an aesthetic.  Many games use sex appeal to sell their game (Play the stud or the hot babe and kick behind) what I love about Warframe is that it's not about that.  

Having more options on starter 'frames would be nice though.  A thread awhile back made a good point that some female gamers are turned away by the simple fact that the only female starter is Mag, and they don't want to have multiple of the same 'frame.  

But that's a different topic. XD

A fourth, female starter frame would be a really good idea. What frame would be good you think? Saryn springs to mind, or maybe Nyx, given the Excal connection.  But then Volt is a starter now and is clan tech, making Banshee a good counterpoint.

Edited by Gelkor

A fourth, female starter frame would be a really good idea. What frame would be good you think? Banshee or Saryn spring to mind, or maybe Nyx.

Banshee is my first choice - she's good support with a damage buff.  She'd be perfect for helping new players through the painful time of not having the "must have" mods.

Banshee is my first choice - she's good support with a damage buff.  She'd be perfect for helping new players through the painful time of not having the "must have" mods.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like it. As I added in my edit, there's also the Clan Tech angle, so, similar to Volt, she would be available as a starter and clan tech only. Plus having 4 starters makes good sense for a few other reasons besides gender parity, a squad is 4 members, if 4 new friends start at the same time (it can happen) this way all 4 can have a unique starter frame.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like it. As I added in my edit, there's also the Clan Tech angle, so, similar to Volt, she would be available as a starter and clan tech only. Plus having 4 starters makes good sense for a few other reasons besides gender parity, a squad is 4 members, if 4 new friends start at the same time (it can happen) this way all 4 can have a unique starter frame.

Exactly!

Having the 4th spot forced to be a repeat kinda sucks.

Tenno are genderless, the suits appear to have gender, but if you look into the Cryopod on the defense missions, there is what a Tenno looks like in there. A geometric, seemingly male body. They are also mute, so they should have no voice.

Tenno are genderless, the suits appear to have gender, but if you look into the Cryopod on the defense missions, there is what a Tenno looks like in there. A geometric, seemingly male body. They are also mute, so they should have no voice.

Hey, leave Bondage Bob out of this.

Lotus hasn't talked about them being sleeping Tenno in months and DE has even gone to the trouble of tinting the cryopods glass so you can't see in anymore.