Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Many More Years Until Headshot Sounds Play On Clients?

superbot34

So how many years is it going to be DE? We all know this issue exists and i even addressed it before and DE staff commented on my forum post saying that "a headshot sound is a good idea" but when i explain the sound already exists, you just don't get to hear it if you aren't the host, the person vanished and the thread died. 

You guys at warframe have no idea how unsatisfying it is to kill a grineer lancer with a headshot and not have any audio feedback whatsoever that you got the headshot. If you are the host, it makes a "crunch" sound which is extremely satisfying and it encourages me to get headshots and in a way, actually makes me get more headshots due to that 'reward' for doing so. 

It's always been this way, since the beginning of the game. Do you guys just not care because this issue isn't a new soma prime bug or new boss texture glitch? This dosn't seem like a terribly complex issue yet it's avoided at all costs by DE, or players just don't care enough about mentioning it. 

I used to be really addicted to this game, and i still somewhat am, but little issues like this is making me bitter towards this game. Remember, it took DE 7 MONTHS to fix a bug with the torid (enemies hit directly sometimes were not damaged by the clouds) which made me go from liking it as one of my favorite anti-infested weapons, to just ignoring the weapon. 

These are the sounds i am talking about, sounds which make headshots "feel" satisfying. 

Yes please. Even when I form the squad, it ends up switching to one of my clan members/friends (apparently every time), so I never get to hear the sound. 

I don't consider myself a really serious gamer, but ever since i was a kid i learned to play games by playing games that gave me good feedback. The act of shooting an enemy and you feel a vibration in a controller, for example, made me learn how to play fast past shooter games that i previously had trouble playing. 

Not having that distinct audio cue of a grineer skull being splattered by a bullet just dosn't encourage me to make headshots. When i play as host however, enemies tend to target me more than if i was on client so the tradeoff of being able to hear headshots but getting shot at more isn't worth it :/

mmm, i entirely forgot that a Headshot Sound was a thing.

most likely due to usually being busy trying to break the game or something.

feedback is indeed critically important for Video Games. actions that do not feel good, aren't very enjoyable.

Visual and Sound Design is so important.

sound isn't "you need to always have lots of sound". that isn't sound design, that's lack of it.

visual isn't "you need to always have lots of stuff flashing in front of your face". that isn't visual design, that's lack of it.

no, Visual Effects and Sounds of any sort should be used on purpose. not having lots of it because you're afraid of having little, but instead, having visual or audio when you want it.

a quick example off the top of my head being, Kholat. unlike most games, Visual and Audio design never got out of hand. every Visual is used on purpose, ever Sound is used on purpose. they therefore become a part of the experience, manipulating the Player to create the reactions and enjoyment that you want.

i'm not suggesting that Warframe necessarily doesn't follow these ideals, but sometimes, i can't say that it does.

in the middle of Combat, Visuals are far too dense for their own good. Sounds also are to a much lesser degree.

- - - - -

starting to get a bit off topic there, so refocusing.

Feedback on your actions is indeed quite important. good feedback is the difference between 'that was alright' and 'WOW! that was amazing!'.

Edited by taiiat

Can we get a visual effect for getting headshot kills too? Destiny has some of the most rewarding headshots kills I've seen in video games. Hive explode and burn up, Fallen have their "souls" shoot out their necks, Vex explode in a white gooey mess as they malfuntcion, and Cabal have gas or something forcefully spew out their necks. The sounds and visuals make getting headshot so rewarding in that game, something that Warframe has lacked for years.

There is no rewarding death animation or sound for killing things in certain ways in Warframe, apart from the annoying Ancient death animation that takes forever for it to fall after it has been dead for a second or two. There is just not enough feedback in Warframe excluding the awesome slash proc kills with older enemies.

Well...

To be honest, there is too much general noise in the game to really head that even if it did play for anyone. It's not loud or distinct enough to be separated from gunshot noises or enemies being generally ripped apart.

But, I would enjoy a new sound that played for everyone. That'd be nice.

Or if the sound worked in general.

If they were to fix headshots sounds they would first need to fix what classifies as a headshot

I have had the challenge many times to get 10 headshots and the syndicate burst or random shots end up counting when I wasnt aiming for the head. 

The mechanics need to be perfect before addressing this.

If they were to fix headshots sounds they would first need to fix what classifies as a headshot

I have had the challenge many times to get 10 headshots and the syndicate burst or random shots end up counting when I wasnt aiming for the head. 

Definitely this. Especially for grineer units with the big back humps, getting headshots is very hit or miss. Not to mention several infested units.

OP, thanks for raising this issue again.  This sort of feedback is really important and we are going to be implementing special tech to make this work better.

I sure hope so. i don't like making repeat threads like this but it really irks me. 

i am only talking about the headshot kill sound. target the head, shoot, enemy dies. i could care less about syndicate effects proccing and hitting the head, that has nothing to do with this issue. 

Can we get a visual effect for getting headshot kills too? Destiny has some of the most rewarding headshots kills I've seen in video games. Hive explode and burn up, Fallen have their "souls" shoot out their necks, Vex explode in a white gooey mess as they malfuntcion, and Cabal have gas or something forcefully spew out their necks. The sounds and visuals make getting headshot so rewarding in that game, something that Warframe has lacked for years.

There is no rewarding death animation or sound for killing things in certain ways in Warframe, apart from the annoying Ancient death animation that takes forever for it to fall after it has been dead for a second or two. There is just not enough feedback in Warframe excluding the awesome slash proc kills with older enemies.

like grineer heads actually exploding or something when getting a headshot kill? that would be nice. 

i wish i could just ask DE staff directly why this is even a thing considering that it's been around as long as the game as been around...and i don't think i have ever seen anyone bring up this issue in all my time playing.