Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guides Of The Lotus ~ Program Launch Replies (Split From Original Faq)

LordOda

Question

1,525 answers to this question

i would assume that the purple text is a giveaway to something. they see purple text and start wondering, hmm why can't i type in a different color then ask said person "hey why do you type in purple" to which the guide then explains what they are doing and how they can help this new person out

Only senior guides have purple text. Junior Guides, won't have purple text unless they are promoted into senior guide position. Since purple text is someone with chat moderation powers rather than something for all guides.

Edited by NovusNova

This is awesome! I've been playing since May 17th, 2013, and with the time I've been playing, I've learned a lot. One of my favorite things is helping out new players. :) Though I wouldn't need a guide sigil to be willing to help, it would be great for those who are looking for the help om the first place. Unfortunately, I've had to cut back on my Warframe activities as of late to catch up with bills though, so hopefully I don't fall behind! Lots of new stuff coming out!

Congratulations to all who are selected in the future! I'm glad DE has thought of something like this. :)

Edited by DaganEldr

Definitely not random.

Congratulations [iNSERT USERNAME HERE]!

You have been selected from a random pool of applicants to be part of the Guides of the Lotus™ program, a very special privilege to help shape the course of Warframe™, talk exclusively to the developers of Warframe™ and gain numerous money- and item-based rewards! Should you choose to accept this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, all you need to do is to reply to this message with your bank account credentials, your phone number, home address and social security number(passport picture optional but preferred), and we will instate you as an equal partner with the developers of Warframe™!

[iNSERT USERNAME HERE], we strongly encourage you to reply to this message as soon as you can, as you only have two days to reply to this message before the offer expires. We are eagerly looking forward to having you as partner for Digital Extremes ltd.!

Sincerely,

[iNSERT DEVELOPER NAME HERE]

Perhaps I might have missed something, but how would a new, MR0 player, be aware of this program?

Probably the best way would be to extended the first quest to a visit to the relay, explaining all the rooms and what guides are.

And i also agree 500h would look better then 200^^

-snip-

"Q: Who decides who will become a Guide?

A: DE staff and Senior Guides determine who is qualified to join the Guides of the Lotus team."

Not actually totally random, we can recommend people to Danielle on who we think might make good guides however as always it is up to her whether they will be invited or not.

Probably the best way would be to extended the first quest to a visit to the relay, explaining all the rooms and what guides are.

And i also agree 500h would look better then 200^^

The initial questline needs extending to the extent where it doesn't just drop you in your liset and go "here you go" and tells you absolutely nothing further than that lol. This is slightly off topic, but also related to the GOTL programme, and would be pretty epic if this scheme was incorporated into the tutorial in some way for sure.

Also, hai Saske!

I have a feeling that allowing existing 'community moderators' to have a say in Junior guides would lead to favoritism and bigotry. I think that should remain at the discretion of DE staff and only DE staff and they should be promoted through the like.

While DE is held professional standards, the guides are held to guidelines which isn't as thorough as going over things such as nepotism, favoritism, or general ! kissing if I must be blunt.

Aside from that, hopefully this program will be beneficial to new players.

Edited by DBugII

Q: Can international players apply to become Guides?

A: Of course! If you meet all the requirements you will be added to the list of active Guides under the language you will be using to assist players.

This is why I am asking. Might be unfortunate phrasing, but this implies you can, in fact, apply as a guide.

I'm asking because I tend to not be terribly active in the forum (partly because most questions get answered rather quickly and i don't see the point in saying the same thing again) but I like to help new players.

Glad to see a hard launch. I remember back when the program was first announced around the time of relay planning- and the access ability for new players seems to be really strong here. Here's to hoping everything goes well for the 'actual release'.

Although this is a great idea, I feel as if it is being poorly executed by adding a sigil. I have a feeling that it will attract completionists that just want a sigil and aren't really going to help out new players.

Believe it or not, you're on to something here.

I used to volunteer moderate for the official forums of Allods Online. Many of our applicants would throw up a lot of BS about loving the game and wanting to genuinely help new players, and claimed they were willing to dedicate their time. However, when we tracked their actual posts and activities, many seemed to ramp up their proactiveness only about a week or so before applying to become a moderator, leading us to believe that in many cases, they were putting on a good show in hopes we would take notice.

The problem was that it was a lot of hard work. We did run ingame events, we did moderate ingame behavior and kept an eye on guild politics to make sure things didn't get too haywire. But our main duty was to moderate the forums. This required a lot of hours and regular patrols of various subforums for different servers. Even with a community of several thousand players, it was a chore all on its own. We held weekly meetings with GMs to give them an idea of the pulse of the community, to discuss current issues, deal with current problem users, and make decisions regarding ever changing policy and rule loopholes.

In many cases, when one of the "doing it for the recognition" types slipped through the cracks and into a moderation position, they would pour their hearts out into their new duties, for better or for worse. For better, some would do alright, but they'd burn out in a month or two and quit. For worse, however, the power went to some heads and they began to iron fist every rule, bringing their ego into decisions, sometimes even crusading into personal vendettas with their newfound powers.

But every decision you make is scrutinized. You run the risk of ostracizing yourself if you do something collossally stupid. I've seen several mods ragequit the game because they locked a popular thread or said something disparagingly tactless about a guild, only to receive a mountain of backlash and an "encouragement" by a GM to resign. Moderation, in fact, is often more about public relations than about enforcing the rules; sometimes, when everyone is having fun and no one is getting hurt, you can't iron fist the rulebook. You need to be able to read a situation and determine the best action to take. And very occasionally, the best action is to take none at all.

I spent nearly two years in that position. The few others that were able to tough it out and keep a rational mindset were some of my best friends. We did take our roles seriously, but not to the point of obsession. It was a duty that we didn't really seek out, but found us instead. It was a natural extension of how we played the game and how we already were. We did not have to change ourselves to match our new role as much as we fell into it like a piece on a jigsaw puzzle.

I wouldn't do it for any game or forum again, but I respect the hell out of those who do. For a volunteer job, moderation is damned hard.

TLDR: You need to have the right temperament for the job. You must be naturally tactful. You cannot merely change who you are to suit the position. You must be able to take vast criticism in stride. You must be a rock in a sandstorm; unphased by the rasping of sand, and unmoved by the howl of powerful winds. You must remain stoic, and must be able to suspend your personal feelings for the sake of objectivity. If you are unable to manage the stresses of every action you make being magnified and criticized, being a moderator of any sort will burn you out very quickly.

Edited by Kahruvel