Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guides Of The Lotus ~ Program Launch Replies (Split From Original Faq)

LordOda

Question

Thank you :)

This is for any guides out there, what it is like? Initially I believed it would be a system that assigned you to new players so you could aid them in their first few missions while you explained the game, but while writing my app it seemed that being a guide was more like an on-the-spot Q&A, your help relied on new players seeking you out, which looking into it seems to be the case.

I'd love to help new players however I can, I would just like to hear personal takes on it from more experienced people.

How a Guide actually guides is a style unique to their personality, opinions and capability.

Personally, for me, yes, it is an on-the-spot Q&A. Players seek information from me, and I provide it as quickly and accurately as I can.

Most of these questions are either very simple "Where is...?" or pertain to the future plans of Warframe. You could say the future plans of Warframe tend to dominate most inquiries.

This is one of the reasons keeping up with the latest Warframe content is so vital. Not only does this information help Guides with players trying to make decisions for themselves, it is what a Guide would likely spend most of their time explaining.

Before your edit, you had mentioned it was similar to recruiting for a mod. While I can't be sure this was just accidental or not, it did remind me to mention that, no, we are not looking for people to moderate.

Yes, while Senior Guides can moderate, that is not our main purpose, and it is not factored into the selection process. Rather, it is more of an entrusted permission.

We understand the chats can become rather toxic, but this is not the program to control it with an iron fist.

Anyway, my personal experience may not necessarily be another Guide's experience or style. Another Guide may prefer to walk new players through missions, modding, crafting, mechanics, etc, on a one-on-one basis. Some may be more interested in game issues as well as account issues, and presenting this information to DE. This is perfectly okay. There is always a role a Guide can fill that doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same as their peer.

How a Guide actually guides is a style unique to their personality, opinions and capability.

Personally, for me, yes, it is an on-the-spot Q&A. Players seek information from me, and I provide it as quickly and accurately as I can.

Most of these questions are either very simple "Where is...?" or pertain to the future plans of Warframe. You could say the future plans of Warframe tend to dominate most inquiries.

Yes, while Senior Guides can moderate, that is not our main purpose, and it is not factored into the selection process. Rather, it is more of an entrusted permission.

We understand the chats can become rather toxic, but this is not the program to control it with an iron fist.

Anyway, my personal experience may not necessarily be another Guide's experience or style. Another Guide may prefer to walk new players through missions, modding, crafting, mechanics, etc, on a one-on-one basis. Some may be more interested in game issues as well as account issues, and presenting this information to DE. This is perfectly okay. There is always a role a Guide can fill that doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same as their peers.

Thanks for the info. The app process and the natural large competition size made it feel a little more strict than it is, that's where I got the moderator notion but quickly remembered that junior guides don't really play that part. The questions about how you would resolve a situation with a player or other guide also brought me to that.

This does seem like a pretty nice program, definitely would have enjoyed it when I joined, as I was a complete mess running away from infested with my mk-1 braton. Bittersweet, but not something every player particularly wants.

It's good to see DE cultivate a real group of players helping players and actually trying to grow it rather than forgetting about it, which most developers who even bothered with the notion would.

Edited by Zinthir

We can consider the first application timeline to be a test.

I do not expect to recruit any new Guides before the deadline closes. The program can only handle so many new Guides, we cannot accept them all. Time taken to review all submissions, discuss who we deem to be appropriate recruits, and deciding how much strain we feel can be handled within the current scope of our some 50 Guides is necessary before invitations are sent out.

I'm sure that when all considered applicants receive notice, this thread will be updated to reflect that information.

So just curious... are you going to begin reviewing applications effective immediately?

or will you guys start reviewing them after the 19th has passed?

It will be handled after the deadline, I'm guessing a few days after, but nothing for certain there. Edited by Zinthir

This is for any guides out there, what it is like? Initially I believed it would be a system that assigned you to new players so you could aid them in their first few missions while you explained the game, but while writing my app it seemed that being a guide was more like an on-the-spot Q&A, your help relied on new players seeking you out, which looking into it seems to be the case.

I'd love to help new players however I can, I would just like to hear personal takes on it from more experienced people.

Like the others, I often find myself in a kind of spur of the moment Q&A position, but even more commonly just being friendly and welcoming to newer players is what I end up doing. Whether that means explaining how something works, talking about what weapons they might enjoy more than others (based on what they say their playstyle is, not flavour of the month), deflecting newbie trolls, or adding them to my friends list so they can contact me later if they need help.

As a senior guide if I have mental fatigue I'll often just lurk in region answering simple questions and gently encouraging people to respect the basic courtesies of our community.

Aside from that, having patience by the metric ton is a great boon. You will be asked many, many repeat questions, sometimes right after you've just answered them.

There are trolls that like to bait guides, and some very angry people that can crop up. But being able to be a trusted source of information and help new players (and returning ones) always brightens my day.

It's mostly on-the-spot Q&A for me as well (normally in the relay, but I've gotten a few PMs outside of the relay as well), though I also tend to help people run through missions as well. It just kinda depends on what people need. Edited by (PS4)Viggorrah

l

There are trolls that like to bait guides, and some very angry people that can crop up. But being able to be a trusted source of information and help new players (and returning ones) always brightens my day.

Thanks for your answer, but what do you mean by people trying to troll guides? As I'm sure we all are I'm well versed with trolls, but do you mean people trying to waste your time asking intentionally obvious questions, or outright attacking you for helping others or something of the like.

I'm a little late for the party it seams... Hello again :)

Dear volunteers listen up. It's time to give you some tips (from personal experience).

By being a Guide you need to be both polite and understanding. You never know what people you will encounter, so keep in mind that some persons are just hard to talk to. Patience is a Virtue on nearly every occasion.

Personal preferences aside You should forget the "master race" terminology and mindset. As for the guide all players and their playstyle should be equal. And you should address problems of all players if possible. 

IMO knowledge gained from the game only sometimes is not enough - you should also know what patch notes contain. so you can be up to date with all the changes in the game.

If you find yourself in trouble do not fear to ask a fellow guide for assistance.

I wish you luck.

Edited by Cracken

Thanks for your answer, but what do you mean by people trying to troll guides? As I'm sure we all are I'm well versed with trolls, but do you mean people trying to waste your time asking intentionally obvious questions, or outright attacking you for helping others or something of the like.

I've encountered someone doing the former, but sometimes it's people spamming the chat for no good reason and the like. I've never had anyone outright attack me in a relay, though.

Edited by (PS4)Viggorrah

If you praise valkyr in your app, and on the forums ill make sure you are selected. Good luck to those unfaithful who dont.

Well that's no fair! I didn't know when I applied! Though Valkyr is my favourite frame~ Ever since I got her; such a beautiful frame, both aesthetically and in terms of abilities and damage.

I applied anyway even though i don't have the 500 hour requirement i feel that researching the game rather than playing it for 500 hours sitting in your liset doing nothing or in a relay is far more better and superior.

What i mean by researching i mean going on the wiki and reading since it's what i normally do when i am sitting and chilling in the larunda relay c:

Edited by Viperbaws

I goof off with b the guides, staying really close to the kick line but not crossing, that could be considered trolling:P